The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

As a pro hockey player Jordan's responsibility is to focus on playing.

He has loads of dough,loads of time and one purpose.

It is not like when I loaded up my 65 Oldsmobile and drove 1,200 kms to Alberta at 17 years of age to find a job somewhere,anywhere.

I had no family there and limited money to make it.

Pro players are molly coddled to the nth degree.

Please.Are you for real?

perhaps you missed the hodgson article where he details how different it is. to think it's a cakewalk just because they have more money it doesn't mean they automatically have everything handed to them. they have to learn to do everything on their own, the club does not coddle them. you clearly have an incorrect vision of how they are handled. they are treated like adults. they have to do everything on their own (rent an apartment, buy a car, cook, get settled etc. Everything that you and I had to do, but with more money. it doesn't make it easier. there's a psycological impact tyhat more money does not change.

perhaps you missed the hodgson article where he details how different it is. to think it's a cakewalk just because they have more money it doesn't mean they automatically have everything handed to them. they have to learn to do everything on their own, the club does not coddle them. you clearly have an incorrect vision of how they are handled. they are treated like adults. they have to do everything on their own (rent an apartment, buy a car, cook, get settled etc. Everything that you and I had to do, but with more money. it doesn't make it easier. there's a psycological impact tyhat more money does not change.

Yes,I agree it wouldnot be a cakewalk.

There is another level of independence that they would have to enter and overcome.

As a younger man I played a high level of hockey and everything was taken care of for us.

The difference between my life working for money and my life as a high end hockey player were night and day.

Young men like Hodgson and Schroeder come from good homes and would be in touch with their parents continuously.

Add to that fact they have fairly unlimited money -without a problem in the world when it comes to cash,for sure.

I hardly think these oung men are sleeping on floors and in moldy basement suites without furniture.

I would also think there is a complete support network as there is a whole industry behind them to make sure they succeed.

They are young men with challenges to overcome but what they encounter and overcome is hardly the real worl.

They are gifted,blessed and taken care of.They have the most insulation of any young man could dream of and ask for.

It is not the real world most of us that have to make it experience.

Yes,I agree it wouldnot be a cakewalk.

There is another level of independence that they would have to enter and overcome.

As a younger man I played a high level of hockey and everything was taken care of for us.

The difference between my life working for money and my life as a high end hockey player were night and day.

Young men like Hodgson and Schroeder come from good homes and would be in touch with their parents continuously.

Add to that fact they have fairly unlimited money -without a problem in the world when it comes to cash,for sure.

I hardly think these oung men are sleeping on floors and in moldy basement suites without furniture.

I would also think there is a complete support network as there is a whole industry behind them to make sure they succeed.

They are young men with challenges to overcome but what they encounter and overcome is hardly the real worl.

They are gifted,blessed and taken care of.They have the most insulation of any young man could dream of and ask for.

It is not the real world most of us that have to make it experience.

you have a disillusioned idea of what they have at their disposal, they are not coddled, they are treated as adults, and rightfully so. If you think their off ice increased responsibility/independance has no impact on their on ice performance you are truly crazy.

you have a disillusioned idea of what they have at their disposal, they are not coddled, they are treated as adults, and rightfully so. If you think their off ice increased responsibility/independance has no impact on their on ice performance you are truly crazy.

They may be treated as adults but both Hodgson and Schroeder were teenagers a year ago.

These kids have cellphones,computers and 24 hour electronic access to their parents.

They have new vehicles,great places to lay their heads,the best food and entertainment money can buy and not a care in the world.

They might be great young guys but they have not a care in the world but to play hockey.

"to think it's a cakewalk just because they have more money it doesn't mean they automatically have everything handed to them. they have to learn to do everything on their own"

Awww,it makes me feel so bad for the young and wealthy.Baw wa wa.

Give me a break.

These young guys are amongst the most gifted,priveliged,wealthy kids on the planet.

They can afford to fly home any time they get a break,have total access to family support via the best communications in the world.

They have the very best food,clothing,lodging,transportation and lifestyle that any young 20 year old would dream of.

Sounds really scary.Baw wa wa.

Come on,get real.

Thanks for that.

Affect their play,huh?

Do these poor young men have hildren to feed that are tired and hungry?

Maybe doing the midnight shift in a dangerous factory and can't get to sleep during daytime?

Perhaps their brand new car or truck won't run and they do not have not enough money to get a taxi to work and the buses not running at a late hour?

Maybe they are stuck with no food left until payday and the kids still have to eat?

Maybe their gf is in the hospital without medical?

Those poor young men with half a million dollars in their pockets.

They have to play hockey and sleep in good hotels with the best clothes on their backs and food in their stomachs.

Reality sucks for normal people and douche bags aren't hard to find in the real world.

Ok, clearly you've gone off the deep end and are fairly jaded. I'm going to just write this off as "haterisim" seeing as you think everyone should automatically be performing at 100% and completely professional from the very second they enter the league because they have money.

No,I am referring to the fact that young,professional hockey players have lived privileged lives.

They usually have little to zero pressure in their lives except to perform on ice.

If they can't get an apartment and cook a meal away from Mommy it is no big deal.

With their money they could live anywhere they like and be spoon fed.

With the media glare a young player like Cody or Jordan face and the exclusive,executive lifestyle/lives they lead the hardest part of their growing up away from Mommy is not going to be 'performing 100%' .

Thanks for that.

Affect their play,huh?

Do these poor young men have hildren to feed that are tired and hungry?

Maybe doing the midnight shift in a dangerous factory and can't get to sleep during daytime?

Perhaps their brand new car or truck won't run and they do not have not enough money to get a taxi to work and the buses not running at a late hour?

Maybe they are stuck with no food left until payday and the kids still have to eat?

Maybe their gf is in the hospital without medical?

Those poor young men with half a million dollars in their pockets.

They have to play hockey and sleep in good hotels with the best clothes on their backs and food in their stomachs.

Reality sucks for normal people and douche bags aren't hard to find in the real world.

You do realize that players took a huge risk to get this far?

I guarantee the vast majority of players don't have a 'proper' education. Their NHL careers were first.

Furthermore, the risk of injury is very heavy. If they're injured, they have little help. If they're squeezed out of the NHL, they either quit or play in Europe.

Not sure why you're so jaded.

If you're so bitter about them, why don't you follow their footsteps?

<br />You do realize that players took a huge risk to get this far?<br /><br />I guarantee the vast majority of players don't have a 'proper' education. Their NHL careers were first. <br /><br />Furthermore, the risk of injury is very heavy. If they're injured, they have little help. If they're squeezed out of the NHL, they either quit or play in Europe. <br /><br />Not sure why you're so jaded. <br /><br />If you're so bitter about them, why don't you follow their footsteps?<br />
<br /><br /><br />

1.You do realize that players took a huge risk to get this far?

2.I guarantee the vast majority of players don't have a 'proper' education. Their NHL careers were first.

3.Furthermore, the risk of injury is very heavy. If they're injured, they have little help. If they're squeezed out of the NHL, they either quit or play in Europe.

Not sure why you're so jaded.

If you're so bitter about them, why don't you follow their footsteps?

1.Please inform me of the risks.

2.Not in this day and age.If an individual player does not want to provide himself with education,how is that different than most people?

3.So is working on the docks,in a steel yard or in most factories.

Without proper representation (ie: independent insurance policy) it is highly likely WCB never assists you adequately through any serious injury.

Most players that make it to the pro level are compensated adequately and have real insurance policies behind them,not WCB.

4.Not jaded.

5. Not bitter.Read the posts.

<br /><br /><br />

1.Please inform me of the risks.

2.Not in this day and age.If an individual player does not want to provide himself with education,how is that different than most people?

3.So is working on the docks,in a steel yard or in most factories.

Without proper representation (ie: independent insurance policy) it is highly likely WCB never assists you adequately through any serious injury.

Most players that make it to the pro level are compensated adequately and have real insurance policies behind them,not WCB.

4.Not jaded.

5. Not bitter.Read the posts.

I already stated the risks. Injuries are huge. One injury can make you have no future whatsoever. Hockey's a dangerous sport.

Not in this day in age? Without education, you'll almost be nowhere in life, unless you win the lottery. But what are you going to do with that money? Investing is a type of education.

I'm not talking about compensation. If you break your spine, for example, so what if you get millions of dollars? You have to a) fight for the compensation B) live with your injuries forever. These are part of the risks. Furthermore, an athlete has to dedicate himself (or herself) by eating right, and exercising. They don't necessarily have the luxury of you sitting down and pouting. If they got a permanent injury, they're DONE just like anyone else - except their risks are way higher than the average person. Unions for the most part protect workers from injuries before they happen. Hockey players face it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

I didn't call you a douche. Don't put words in my mouth. You are jaded though - that or jealous.

Let's face it - nobody is going to be the same. Some will make more, and some will make less. If you're gonna whine about hockey players making money, why aren't you whining about socialites like Paris Hilton that don't have to work at all and still have money?

Fact: you're jealous.

I already stated the risks. Injuries are huge. One injury can make you have no future whatsoever. Hockey's a dangerous sport.

Not in this day in age? Without education, you'll almost be nowhere in life, unless you win the lottery. But what are you going to do with that money? Investing is a type of education.

NH-Agreed.Most professionals have education.

I'm not talking about compensation. If you break your spine, for example, so what if you get millions of dollars? You have to a) fight for the compensation B) live with your injuries forever. These are part of the risks. Furthermore, an athlete has to dedicate himself (or herself) by eating right, and exercising. They don't necessarily have the luxury of you sitting down and pouting. If they got a permanent injury, they're DONE just like anyone else - except their risks are way higher than the average person. Unions for the most part protect workers from injuries before they happen. Hockey players face it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

NH-Yes and so do the millions that are injured in the workforce every year for menial wages.

Hockey players love their 'jobs'.Most do not even like theirs.

Hockey players are rewarded fairly,lavishly at the pro level.

Most injured workers are not paid as 'fairly' as a pro hockey player,whom are doing something they love to do.

I didn't call you a douche. Don't put words in my mouth. You are jaded though - that or jealous.

NH-The quote was from the conversation you have responded to thatI had with the previous poster,a Mr. Avelanch.

It has nothing to do with you.

Let's face it - nobody is going to be the same. Some will make more, and some will make less. If you're gonna whine about hockey players making money, why aren't you whining about socialites like Paris Hilton that don't have to work at all and still have money?

NH-I am not whining.Stating facts.

Fact: you're jealous.

NH-Sorry.No.I wish all hockey players well.

Fact is a hockey player on an entry level contract will make more in one year than the average person working a decade or even a lifetime at a job they do not love for someone they may not like.

If you are going to comment please read the posts you are commenting on.

From what I have read "nuck I head"'s problem is not that they make a lot of money, more that their reality of moving to a new city is not "hard" by most common people's standards.

Yes, they have to become adults and buy and cook their own food and pay rent and all those other things a responsible adult has to do. But, they have zero worries about income and where the money for those things will come from and they do have the support network of team mates and staff on the team for when they might need advice or how to go about handling their new responsibilities.

So yes, moving to a new city as a young man is a difficult thing to do but for a professional hockey player (signed to an NHL club too no less), it is significantly less difficult than another 18-19 year old person looking for a job likely on or near minimum wage.

From what I have read "nuck I head"'s problem is not that they make a lot of money, more that their reality of moving to a new city is not "hard" by most common people's standards.

Yes, they have to become adults and buy and cook their own food and pay rent and all those other things a responsible adult has to do. But, they have zero worries about income and where the money for those things will come from and they do have the support network of team mates and staff on the team for when they might need advice or how to go about handling their new responsibilities.

So yes, moving to a new city as a young man is a difficult thing to do but for a professional hockey player (signed to an NHL club too no less), it is significantly less difficult than another 18-19 year old person looking for a job likely on or near minimum wage.

No, he was saying they had no right to be affected by all the changes going on in their life because all their money made them impervious to any of these issues... which is complete bull.

No, he was saying they had no right to be affected by all the changes going on in their life because all their money made them impervious to any of these issues... which is complete bull.

Not to mention troubles the average joe doesn't have to worry about, like complacency.

I think the most challenging thing for myself would be focusing on hockey when you have new found fame and fortune. I would probably be hungover for the first quarter of the season if I had something so worth celebrating, haha.

Schroeder lit the lamp up tonight in a 3-2 win over Oklahoma.

Thanks 'doublej' .You got it.

Late in the first period, the Moose spent two full minutes on their heels as they killed off a tripping penalty to Kevin Connauton. But as the Moose defenceman stepped on the ice, the Moose broke down the ice on a rush with Jordan Schroeder, Marco Rosa, and captain Nolan Baumgartner. Rosa passed to Schroeder on the wing, who looked off his options on the three-on-two before toe dragging to the slot and wristing a shot past Gerber's blocker to tie the game at 17:38.

Archived