The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alex Friesen | C

b3.

131 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is Friesen signed at all?

Not at the moment.

How did Archibald do this year?

I'd say he had a pretty good season, was over PPG during the season and was PPG in the playoffs. I'm pretty sure he had a four goal game in the playoffs.

Darren Archibald
Left Wing
Born Feb 9 1990 -- Newmarket, ONT
Height 6.03 -- Weight 210 -- Shoots L

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08 Stouffville Spirit OPJHL 49 21 27 48 46
2008-09 Barrie Colts OHL 68 25 24 49 35 5 4 3 7 2
2009-10 Barrie Colts OHL 57 26 33 59 62 16 5 5 10 16
2010-11 Barrie Colts OHL 24 18 12 30 21 -- -- -- -- --
2010-11 Niagara IceDogs OHL 37 23 13 36 30 14 10 4 14 6
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[/code]

I heard somewere that this kid has similarites to a young Chris Drury

Hopefully the Avs version, and not the Rags version.

Still I'd love to take a shot at Drury if we could get him at cheap enough (since he'd have a supplemented income from the buyout). The change of scenery might do him some good. he played his best hockey in this conference...

As for Freisen, if he can be like Drury, we'd have a number of amazing years headed our way before he takes an albatross of a contract on the East coast. :D

• 2 weeks later...

What's the plan with this kid?

Overager in OHL or Chicago?

Well he hasn't signed a contract yet.

So unless something changes, he will be playing in the OHL this season.

This approach makes sense for these project type players like Friesen & Grenier.

Why tie up another contract on the 50-contract limit if that player isn't quite ready for pro? If we can wait it out, why the hell not? Afterall, 22 is the "mythical" age when these prospects generally start making an NHL impact.

The guy is 20, 5'9" 186lbs and a project. It is no coincidence that we are now drafting and signing players with size (S. Schneider, Archibald, Anthony, Grenier & Labate) to coincide with our diminutive forwards like Friesen, Rodin & Schroeder (although Rodin has grown a bit taller) hitting that age 20/21 stage. They're all the same age (except for Labate) and will all be teammates on the Wolves the following year (Archibald & Schneider will likely be up & down between the NHL & the A in 12/13).

Another year in the OHL as an overager could be good for his development. We don't need to put him in the Wolves right away, especially for a project pick. If he can have his own dominant season like Archibald did I'd be very happy with his progress. Nothing wrong with keeping him back a year just to let him develop even more.

Guest Dasein

Lapierre is gonna be a good mentor for Friesen soon.

Lapierre isn't going to be playing in the ECHL or the AHL any time soon...So nah, I don't think so.

Realistically, this season as an overager in the OHL is the last chance Friesen has at making an impression to the Canucks. Honestly, I don't think he'll make the NHL, and I'm not even sure if we'd even offer a contract his way unless he really shows significant development in his game.

I also think that he'll end up being a very good AHL 2-way center, similar to Andrew Ebbett.

I think Alex will make good AHL checking center. I don't think he can make NHL team. Just my honest projection. He is a bit on the small side which never helps if you're a 3rd/4th line guy.

Marchand says hi. And I don't recall some guy called Fleury starting out on the first or second line?

Lapierre isn't going to be playing in the ECHL or the AHL any time soon...So nah, I don't think so.

Realistically, this season as an overager in the OHL is the last chance Friesen has at making an impression to the Canucks. Honestly, I don't think he'll make the NHL, and I'm not even sure if we'd even offer a contract his way unless he really shows significant development in his game.

I also think that he'll end up being a very good AHL 2-way center, similar to Andrew Ebbett.

Huh? He played really well last season and also had a good playoff.

The only way he doesn't get a contract after this season is he if he takes steps backwards.

He'll be a good 2-way AHL center, but it won't surprise me at all to see him at least on the 4th line wing at some point. He's small, but he's no Schroeder, he knows how to get under people's skin, he has really good hockey sense and his hands aren't made of stone (126 points in his last 120 games).

Marchand says hi. And I don't recall some guy called Fleury starting out on the first or second line?

The fact that there are exceptions to the rule does not mean the rule should be rewritten. Both of those players have some serious skill to go with their small bodies. Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see all of our prospects succeed but not everyone is a St Louis.

Guest Dasein

Huh? He played really well last season and also had a good playoff.

The only way he doesn't get a contract after this season is he if he takes steps backwards.

He'll be a good 2-way AHL center, but it won't surprise me at all to see him at least on the 4th line wing at some point. He's small, but he's no Schroeder, he knows how to get under people's skin, he has really good hockey sense and his hands aren't made of stone (126 points in his last 120 games).

We're allowed to carry only 50 contracts, and if we're up against the limit, this is one of those guys we'd just walk from.

I think he'll be offered a contract next season, since a bunch of our useless contracts expire (Ellington, Volpatti, Parent, etc).

We're allowed to carry only 50 contracts, and if we're up against the limit, this is one of those guys we'd just walk from.

I think he'll be offered a contract next season, since a bunch of our useless contracts expire (Ellington, Volpatti, Parent, etc).

Yeah, next year I definitely see him being signed.

Archived