The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

I want Bieksa replaced because he has done nothing with the time he has been given and I would like to see what others can do in that spot......how hard is that to understand?

Wow, one PP in 22 games where Bieksa was not on it? I guess AV sure showed him!

How is asking for someone else to get a chance on the PP obsessing about Bieksa's mistakes? Bieksa just happens to be doing nothing with the significant time he gets there. If it was Ehrhoff I would say the same thing. We have options, and wanting the coach to explore those options is only a bad idea to people who think Bieksa is entitled to a PP spot no matter how he performs there.

So, if a guy is not 100% healthy, we shouldn't pull for him to help the team? That makes sense.

Truer words were never typed, Bxa adds nothing to the team, Bieksa is a slack assed turnover machine, period.

I can't wait til he is moved. The Nuck's will be better for it.

For all these posts (mostly by Sharpshooter) suggesting that I am saying it is ALL Bieksa's fault, please point out where I said that. Blaming him for others lack of production is not what I said at all. I said he is a significant contributor to the issues with the 2nd PP unit. How exactly is that blaming him for everything?

Of course, if it makes you feel better to suggest that I am putting it ALL on Bieksa then fine. Read my posts and tell me where I said that. If you think he has NOTHING to do with the issues on the 2nd unit, then maybe you should take a step back, be objective, and ask yourself why you are bothering to question me about it. He is obviously part of the problem given his huge amount of ice time there with no production.

He has had the most time on the 2nd PP with the most different partners and has still not had success there. Hamhuis has ONLY been out with Bieksa until last night, when he was out with Ballard and he scored a PP goal. How it is unfair to suggest getting a look at both Hamhuis and Ballard WITHOUT Bieksa as the common link? Understanding how various combinations look on the 2nd unit is a prudent thing to do, imo.

Changing the 2nd unit cannot have anything but a positive effect on the PP because the 2nd unit is brutal right now. Why wouldn't the coaching staff change things to try to get BOTH units going? Typical Canucks. Sit back and hope that the big guns get it done, especially in the playoffs. Secondary scoring and having different options on the PP that actually produce can never be a bad thing. Resting on your laurels is such an AV thing to do, and it costs this team at crunch time.

Actually, the 1st PP unit is largely responsible for being 1st in the league and the 2nd unit is pretty terrible.

Don't fix what ain't broke? The 2nd unit is broke I'm afraid......so I guess it does need fixing after all.

Isn't the objective of any PP unit, 1st or 2nd, to score PP goals? That is a lot different than a 3rd line that is not designed to be scoring as much as the 1st line.

You guys can keep hoping that the 1st unit carries this team all the way this season because if the 1st unit cools down or starts getting shut down, or heaven forbid we get an injury to a Sedin, I would feel more comfortable having at least a moderately threatening 2nd unit to pick up the slack. The best time to get that unit going is before the 1st unit struggles.

I am a fan of the team and want the team to do well. I don't want them to ever think anything is good enough because that mentality is what ultimately costs this team at critical times.

Oh, let's defend a 1 or 2 goal lead....we're winning so that must mean we are guaranteed to win, right? Oops, we lost.....what happened?

Oh, our PP is #1 so why bother trying to make it even better? The reality is that there are about 9 teams that could pass the Canucks for the PP lead by having even two great PP% games and the Canucks having two o-fers on the PP. We are not head and shoulders above the rest.

Here is a news flash for all you guys: The truly great teams ALWAYS strive to be not only better but dominating. When they are at the top, they want to be on top by even more. That is a championship mentality.

What possible argument do you guys have to not try to improve a woeful 2nd unit? I mean, other than it wouldn't be fair to Bieksa? Shouldn't the team ALWAYS want to improve?

So I'll ask for the third time:

What changes would you make to the second unit, since you know so much more that the coaches presiding over the league's best PP?

Other than the obvious Ballard for Bieksa of course, or do you think that puts us over the top?

More props to Bieksa!

The friends and i who were at the game here in Calgary all agreed he was our most solid dman on the night. Bieksa has been having a great season and i couldn't be more happier he is with us going forward.

For a guy who has been through the injuries he's had missing out on development and now this losing weight to the flu and pneumonia i have been very impressed with his season.

Any fool who thinks Bieksa should have been traded all i can say is thank god fools don't run the Canucks!

What's missing from the 2nd PP unit is the big cannon shot on D. Bieksa doesn't have that. Also someone mentioned that the 2nd unit really needs a playmaker. Raymond, Torres, Sammy, Tambi aren't playmakers. The best this unit can do is to score off the rush or on scrambled/broken plays.

If AV wants to go with 4F + 1D...

I want Burrows out there to screen the goalie and Sammy slightly off to the side to net in the rebounds. Malhotra to win the faceoffs. Use Raymond on the point with either Hamhuis/Ballard/Bieksa (whichever D that has the hardest shot that can get it through and on net).

If AV wants to go with 3F + 2D...

I want Malhotra, Sammy, Raymond with Hammy and Bieksa on point.

Also...let's be fair about Bieksa. This year...he's not the offensive juggernaut as seen in years past. But he has become more defensively responsible.

Also...let's be fair about Bieksa. This year...he's not the offensive juggernaut as seen in years past. But he has become more defensively responsible.

I don't know about that. I still see him pinch down and then stay deep in the offensive zone forcing a player like Henrik Sedin to play D. Does he think he can do a better job down low? Its not like he's stays deep because he's involved in the play either, its like he's just lazy in getting back in position. I will admit its not as frequent as last year though.

I really wouldn't mind him if he was playing a smaller role on the team. He'd be a solid 5 or 6 guy getting paid a lot less.

I don't know about that. I still see him pinch down and then stay deep in the offensive zone forcing a player like Henrik Sedin to play D. Does he think he can do a better job down low? Its not like he's stays deep because he's involved in the play either, its like he's just lazy in getting back in position. I will admit its not as frequent as last year though.

I really wouldn't mind him if he was playing a smaller role on the team. He'd be a solid 5 or 6 guy getting paid a lot less.

To be sure he still does stuff like that now and then. But overall...he has improved his defensive game compared to his previous years. Unfortunately his offensive game has disappeared. I too think he plays best around the 15-18min mark. Also wish he made less. CDC probably wouldn't complain too much if he made $2.5M instead of $3.75M (salary cap hit).

Now's not the time to trade Bieksa

Now is not the time to trade Kevin Bieksa. Ask me after next game. (I'm kidding).

Bieksa was pissed off this week at a writer (not me) for reporting he could go to Washington for Tomas Fleischmann. Bieksa said stories about him getting traded are now 0-for-15. I've been responsible for at least a couple of those at-bats because the reality is the defenceman, for obvious salary/ career/depth reasons, has been off and on the market going back to the previous managerial regime. But Bieksa's still here and right now I'm glad.

His four points are abysmal, given his PP time, and he will drive you nuts every second game with his risk-reward decisions. But I think he has been better so far this year than any since he signed his big contract. Dan Hamhuis has a settling effect on him, and Bieksa seems to be playing more within himself. He also isn't taking bad penalties while possessing a little grit the Canucks need on their blue-line, and he is versatile enough to go up or down the pairings and play in any situation.

At age 29 and an unrestricted free agent with slim chances of re-signing here -- unless negotiations with Christian Ehrhoff collapse -- Bieksa could yet be traded. Probably will be if Sami Salo gets back before the trade deadline and looks solid. Two big "ifs." But now is not the time to trade Bieksa.

© Copyright © The Vancouver SunRead more: http://www.vancouver...l#ixzz174lINvKf

An honest assessment, i think. Honest about his point production so far but also honest and fair about Bieksa's defensive turn around and his value to the team and the D corps.

I like many, hope to see his point totals increase to balance out his good defensive play, but also, I'd like to see a little more production from him on the PP. Maybe Ballard and he, would make for a better 2nd PP pairing. Or putting Ehrhoff on the 2nd PP with Bieksa and Ballard with Edler on the 1st PP. We'll see what if any changes happen tonight.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Bieksa just focuses on defense tonight above everything else. I don't care if he doesn't get any points tonight, rather, I care more about him shutting down and hurting those Hawks.

To be sure he still does stuff like that now and then. But overall...he has improved his defensive game compared to his previous years. Unfortunately his offensive game has disappeared. I too think he plays best around the 15-18min mark. Also wish he made less. CDC probably wouldn't complain too much if he made $2.5M instead of $3.75M (salary cap hit).

I too think he should make less. I was thinking around $2.5 mill, myself...but I like his grit and presence on the team and wouldn't mind seeing him here for a few more years.

Perhaps a 4-5 year contract averaging around $2.0 - $2.5 million, capwise, per year. Or a 3 year contract around, $2.25 - $3.0 million per year, or 1-2 years at $2.75 - $3.0 million....obviously depending on what he does defencively, offencively, by season's end.

I too think he should make less. I was thinking around $2.5 mill, myself...but I like his grit and presence on the team and wouldn't mind seeing him here for a few more years.

Perhaps a 4-5 year contract averaging around $2.0 - $2.5 million, capwise, per year. Or a 3 year contract around, $2.25 - $3.0 million per year, or 1-2 years at $2.75 - $3.0 million....obviously depending on what he does defencively, offencively, by season's end.

He'll be UFA next season and 29 yrs old. I'm not sure he will take a discount just to play for the Canucks. He may decide to go back East (ie. TOR). Like Willie, this may be his last contract so he may need to make the most of it. As a UFA, I think he could get anywhere between $3-4M next year.

I wouldn't be upset if he resigned for $2.5M for 4 years.

He'll be UFA next season and 29 yrs old. I'm not sure he will take a discount just to play for the Canucks. He may decide to go back East (ie. TOR). Like Willie, this may be his last contract so he may need to make the most of it. As a UFA, I think he could get anywhere between $3-4M next year.

I wouldn't be upset if he resigned for $2.5M for 4 years.

Well, i wouldn't be upset at all, if he resigned. However, you have a point about his potential desire to go for the money at his age. He's 29 and if he can get 3-4 million somewhere for 4-5 years, that's a lot of money, and he's got his family and future to consider. I wouldn't blame him for turning down an offer from the Canucks and make an extra million plus per year, if he got the chance.

He's got a degree in Finance, so i'm sure he'll make the best decision for his family and himself. Toronto would be a very good option for him...financially and being the closest option to his childhood home, where all his family still is. I would vomit seeing him in a Leafs jersey though....i think i just did vomit a little in my mouth, thinking about it.

Well, i wouldn't be upset at all, if he resigned. However, you have a point about his potential desire to go for the money at his age. He's 29 and if he can get 3-4 million somewhere for 4-5 years, that's a lot of money, and he's got his family and future to consider. I wouldn't blame him for turning down an offer from the Canucks and make an extra million plus per year, if he got the chance.

He's got a degree in Finance, so i'm sure he'll make the best decision for his family and himself. Toronto would be a very good option for him...financially and being the closest option to his childhood home, where all his family still is. I would vomit seeing him in a Leafs jersey though....i think i just did vomit a little in my mouth, thinking about it.

You just know Brian Burke is salivating at the thought...

He does have some ties to Toronto (ie. Burke and Nonis). He would add some toughness on D. But TML are overloaded with D...but I expect Kaberle to be traded at trade deadline.

Archived