The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

Zigmund.Palffy

Lets be fair those two don't hold a candle to Pauser and Diamonddog. We were so lucky back then with people who could make absolute bull^&#% sound like it made sense. What do we have now, or in recent history, a self important Rocker and his little brother Nuck l head. One wrote very well but couldn't make sense of anything and the other seemingly can't make a paragraph. Canuckelion who's clearly just in it to see how far he can take it.

These idgits can't even hold a candle to TomDavie and he's actually insane.

Only hope the CDC Minor Leaguers can take the next step. I hear that Rey guy is almost ready to make the next step. He's the Patrick White of CDC jrs.

I ROFL'D

Kevin Bieksa you are really...

...earning some nice press. Here are tonight's article quotes:

Kevin_Bieksa11_1121501cl-3.jpg

Faith in Kevin Bieksa paying dividends

MATTHEW SEKERES

Vancouver— From Wednesday's Globe and Mail

Published Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011 8:59PM EST Last updated Tuesday, Jan. 11, 2011 9:01PM EST

Before the NHL season began, defenceman Kevin Bieksa wasn't long for the Vancouver Canucks.

So said the chattering classes, who had Bieksa traded several times last summer after the Canucks acquired two defencemen, Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis, for a combined $8.7-million (all currencies U.S.). Even today, rumour mongers still toss his name around liberally, despite the fact that Bieksa is still playing – and playing effectively – for the only NHL team he has ever known.

"I can't say they were a huge motivator," the six-year veteran said. "I said it all along, and it really is the honest-to-God truth, I didn't really put a whole lot of [stock] into it. I didn't really care about the rumours."

The Canucks did entertain moving Bieksa, who is in the final year of a contract that pays him $3.75-million, prior to the season, but they kept coming back to one difficult truth. Their team was run out of playoff-quality defencemen in a second straight postseason loss to the Chicago Blackhawks last spring, and trading Bieksa would allow for that possibility again.

That same logic – and Sami Salo's uncertain return from a ruptured Achilles tendon – still applies heading into next month's trade deadline, and moreover, Bieksa may have made himself too valuable to trade. (Being Vancouver's only right-handed defencemen also helps his odds of staying).

The Canucks still must clear salary-cap space, about $1.5-million, to get Salo back on the active roster, but it appears less and less likely that they will move Bieksa to do so. After going without a point for the first month of the season, Bieksa has five goals and 15 points in his last 30 games. He is averaging more than 22 minutes per game, fourth best on the team behind Alexander Edler, Christian Ehrhoff and defence partner Hamhuis.

"We're both players who can play in all situations, so that sort of complements each other," Hamhuis said of their chemistry. "One guy can rush up, and the other guy is confident to back him up and play strong defence. [it clicked] probably about one month into the season. We talked a lot, and it took a little while, but it's something that takes time."

Bieksa's defensive-zone play and puck movement have greatly improved this season, and he has reverted to 2006-07 form, when he had a breakout campaign and cemented his place in the NHL. The positive steps have also helped him escape Canuck Nation's doghouse. Fans had been quick to jump on Bieksa's misgivings over the last few years, when he seemingly regressed as a professional.

Asked to compare his season to the recent past, the 29-year-old notes that he is healthy again after missing 37 games over the last two years because of two lacerations to his legs, scary injuries suffered during games. Bieksa also said that he spent last summer working on speed near his hometown of Grimsby, Ont., spending more time on the ice than he had in any previous off-season.

Read more: http://www.theglobea...article1866441/

Kevin Bieksa: Bieksa's roll keeps going

Kevin Bieksa scored his sixth goal of the season in the Canucks' 4-3 shootout win over the Islanders on Tuesday night.

After a brutal start to the season that saw him go pointless in his first 10 games and in 19 of his first 20, it's amazing to see that Bieksa has recorded nine points in his last nine games with a whopping plus-12 over that span.

The rugged defender added five shots on goal and two penalty minutes in this contest for good measure.

Alex Burrows and Ryan Kesler were the other Vancouver scorers in the victory.

Read more: http://www.rotoworld...e=124358&spln=1

"We're both players who can play in all situations, so that sort of complements each other," Hamhuis said of their chemistry. "One guy can rush up, and the other guy is confident to back him up and play strong defence. [it clicked] probably about one month into the season. We talked a lot, and it took a little while, but it's something that takes time."

emot-parrot.gif HamJuice!

Grabners speed really exposed Bieksa tonight. He skates backwards poorly for an NHL D man. He has been playing well but on a couple occations tonight he was burned.

As a Bieksa supporter, I can say that I to have noticed that.

His biggest weakness is dealing with speedy forwards, who time to time, do get past him, but for the most part he keeps them to the outside.

Grabners speed really exposed Bieksa tonight. He skates backwards poorly for an NHL D man. He has been playing well but on a couple occations tonight he was burned.

Though this may be true, hes been playing so consistently well in the last two months that its hard to rip him too much over that alone.. the gut earned first star tonight for a reason... if thats the best dirt you got on him then I would say Juice > Hank&Dan's criticism

To be fair, none of the D were particularly good. Like I said, each had their weak points (Bieksa included, like you pointed out). Hamhuis ran around sometimes, didn't know where the puck was, Edler-Ehrhoff got hemmed in their own zone for a lot of their shifts, Ballard had a couple sizable giveaways in our zone, Alberts played physical, but didn't really win any puck battles despite. Though, I'd say a lot of these defensive errs had to do with the lack of forward support, which I think almost every line lacked tonight.

Luckily, the mistakes of the D never amounted to much. The one noticeable one of course would've been the Alberts - Ballard shift (amounting to the 3rd NYI goal), but personally I blame that more on the forwards unable to escape the zone that left Alby and Bally trapped on the ice for practically two minutes.

That being said, I disagree with your sentiment that he skates backwards poorly. It doesn't take much to be beaten by Grabner's speed. On the play, I think he definitely could've positioned himself better, but skating back he's pretty average amongst all NHL defensemen. Not Norris calibre, but definitely around par.

:D Said all off-season/pre-season/pre-Hamhuis return that a Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing would be great. Bieksa had his best year with a defensive defenseman, Mitchell, but their downfall was that they were both too slow and couldn't play a transitional game to save their life. Hamhuis replaced all of Mitchell's good qualities (sound defensively, physical, able to shut down players) and eliminated his bad ones.. a much better skater, a much better puckhandler, and a much better outlet passer.

Love the Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing but I must admit I was a downer on Bieksa. Glad he has proven me wrong but I knew as soon as Hamhuis/Bieksa were paired, they would have great chemistry. I can't wait until Salo comes back, however.. a Hamhuis-Salo shutdown pair is just too sweet to pass up, but I do dread a Ballard-Bieksa pairing.

:D Said all off-season/pre-season/pre-Hamhuis return that a Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing would be great. Bieksa had his best year with a defensive defenseman, Mitchell, but their downfall was that they were both too slow and couldn't play a transitional game to save their life. Hamhuis replaced all of Mitchell's good qualities (sound defensively, physical, able to shut down players) and eliminated his bad ones.. a much better skater, a much better puckhandler, and a much better outlet passer.

Love the Hamhuis-Bieksa pairing but I must admit I was a downer on Bieksa. Glad he has proven me wrong but I knew as soon as Hamhuis/Bieksa were paired, they would have great chemistry. I can't wait until Salo comes back, however.. a Hamhuis-Salo shutdown pair is just too sweet to pass up, but I do dread a Ballard-Bieksa pairing.

Sorry but I just don't see the coach splitting up Bieksa and Hamhuis when Salo comes back, it takes time to build the kind of chemistry those guys have,I would think there is a bigger chance of Salo being paired with Ballard, at least to see if they do well together before doing anything more drastic like splitting up pairs that are working well together

^ I agree.

A random side note: for all the Bieksa vs. Ballard that CDC had been doing in the earlier parts of the season, in reality they seem to be best buds :lol: Of course, I'm only assuming from what I see... pics of them together laughing on the road trip, sitting beside each other and talking on the bench, and after the game today when they were walking back to the dressing room they shook hands randomly lol. Of course, if you think about it more, it sorta makes sense, since both of them seem to be good character, team guys with a sense of humour.

Sorry but I just don't see the coach splitting up Bieksa and Hamhuis when Salo comes back, it takes time to build the kind of chemistry those guys have,I would think there is a bigger chance of Salo being paired with Ballard, at least to see if they do well together before doing anything more drastic like splitting up pairs that are working well together

I would expect elder and salo as a pair and ballard and ehrhoff And bieksa and hamhuis would remain a pair. That would be my first choice. But we will see how and if/when salo ever returns

^ I agree.

A random side note: for all the Bieksa vs. Ballard that CDC had been doing in the earlier parts of the season, in reality they seem to be best buds :lol: Of course, I'm only assuming from what I see... pics of them together laughing on the road trip, sitting beside each other and talking on

the bench, and after the game today when they were walking back to the dressing room they shook hands

randomly lol. Of course, if you think about it more, it sorta

makes sense, since both of them seem to be good

character, team guys with a sense of humour.

Them shaking hands out of the blue was hilarious. They probably made a bet or something.

Once a perennial "Bottom-fiver" in the league amongst 15min guys, Bieksa will soon be in the top-20 (they've only tabulated 39 of his 42gp):

http://behindthenet.ca/2010/new_5_on_5.php?sort=7&section=goals&mingp=20&mintoi=15&team=&pos=D

The guy truly has reverted to his 2006/2007 form. No, scratch that. He's actually improved on 06/07. Far cry from his disastrous 08/09 defensive performance...

Good job Bieksa!

Archived