The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Hat Trick Maker

WTF?!?! For some reason, when I returned to Whiterun (Came back from Solitaire, after finishing a Dark Brotherhood quest), everybody from the Companions is dead!? What the heck happened?!

Did I do something that killed them? I mean their dead bodies just lie randomly on the streets lol... :( And to make things worse; the people blame me! So they all tried to kill me!... :(

Did I glitch the game somehow??

Please, help... :(

Quick Questions here...

Does this game feel similar to Fable? (I used to love Fable)

How big is the world? (Friend of mine said it's HUGE)

Is it living up to the hype? (Biggest Hype I've seen since RDR, RDR=Red Dead Redemption)

Are the graphics good? (RDR had some of the best graphics ever)

Which is better: RDR or Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Quick Questions here...

Is it living up to the hype? (Biggest Hype I've seen since RDR, RDR=Red Dead Redemption)

It's what Fable was promised to be by Moleneux, but never was. Plus it has badass dragons.

It is huge. I don't know how else to answer that question. Acres and acres to trek through.

The hype should have been bigger if it wanted to match Skyrim.

Graphics are great.

Are apples better than cars? Answer: both are good.

There's a quest where some guy asks to tag along, the tree quest. If you agree, he counts as a companion, I guess. I just got him killed. :D

I found out the problem it is one of the The Companion side missions where the guy goes to the location to be your sheild buddy but because I haven't gone to complete it yet it says I have a companion already.

Quick Questions here...

Fable was more like Elder Scrolls Morrowind. Oblivion is better than Morrowind and Skyrim is better than Oblivion (in some respects)

And I can't say if RDR is better since it's a different genre.

Guest gumballthechewy

I love how you can smith your own gear but the only thing that bothers me is you can't make arrows! I'm a hunter type so I use the bow a lot but I can't make arrows and they're quite expensive. I was thinking maybe in the inevitable DLC add recipes for arrows like: Iron Arrow x20 - 1 Iron Ingot + 2 Fire Wood or Elven Arrows x20 - 1 Refined Moonstone + 2 Fire Wood, something like that.

Who else thinks that's a good idea?

Quick Questions here...

1. No, it's nothing like fable. Fable turned in to more of an Action Adventure while Skyrim is a full-fledged RPG

2.It's massive. It might not be the largest in terms of sheer size of any game that I've played. In terms of actual content (eg. quests, dungeons etc.)it's second to none. Without question.

3. Some issues such as clunky menues (the perks menu and the favourites system) for consoles, texture problems and a crappy map keep it from being a perfect game. That being said, overall it lives up to the hype of being one crazy big open world RPG that's always loads of fun and never feels like a grind to get through.

4. The graphics are good. A huge step up. They aren't amazing however. Things are best viewed from a distance or flaws become rather evident (eg. look at a tree up close to see that it's a blocky mass of polygons).

5. Skyrim. Hands down. And I loved RDR

Alright to add to those questions:

I found Fallout New Vegas to be 'slow'

Would I find Skyrim to a little faster pace to it?

If so - Should I give Oblivion a run through?

It's definitely faster paced than Fallout. Just walking across the game world is way more fun than Fallout, but I didn't enjoy either 3 or NV that much in the first place (especially NV).

Don't bother with Oblivion if you just want to catch up. Skyrim takes place 200 years after. Besides, Skyrim is better than Oblivion is every way, except for the menus. The person who designed the menus should be fired, shot, and buried with his ides, because it's the worst possibly menu system ever conceived for a PC game.

Only had a couple glitches so far: One quest in Windhelm...

...where you have to solve a series of murders. The map markers weren't updating right and some of them were pointing to nothing. At one point you're supposed to get a key to this house so you can go inside, but I couldn't find the person who had it so I had to break in (no big deal, just a little inconvenient.) Word of warning if you do this quest, when you find the strange amulet, do NOT sell it to the guy right away. I did and I ended up having to steal it back, despite the fact that it really had no effect on the next part of the quest. I had to pay off a guard the SECOND time I stole it, because the first time Ulfric Stormcloak straight kicked my ass as a result.

Also, there is a dragon skeleton having a 24/7 seizure right outside the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary. I don't even remember killing one nearby so it's a little odd. Still, minus some game freezes, I've gotten off pretty easy as far as glitches go. Other things:

- The armor you get for the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild is awesome in this game (especially as you advance along in the guild).

- Shadowmere is pretty awesome. I don't even need a companion with him(?) around, because he'll run right up to everything and start kicking it, which I found really funny. But is it just me, or does riding horses look super silly in this game?

- I've killed three companions so far (seems like I'm not alone in this). The first two walked in front of me mid-battle and I lit them on fire. The other one I killed on purpose because he was extremely annoying. It feels like later in the game they're more of an annoyance than actually helpful IMO.

The one thing I don't like about the game is that I don't have enough time for it. I have real problems, I know.

Only had a couple glitches so far: One quest in Windhelm...

...where you have to solve a series of murders. The map markers weren't updating right and some of them were pointing to nothing. At one point you're supposed to get a key to this house so you can go inside, but I couldn't find the person who had it so I had to break in (no big deal, just a little inconvenient.) Word of warning if you do this quest, when you find the strange amulet, do NOT sell it to the guy right away. I did and I ended up having to steal it back, despite the fact that it really had no effect on the next part of the quest. I had to pay off a guard the SECOND time I stole it, because the first time Ulfric Stormcloak straight kicked my ass as a result.

Also, there is a dragon skeleton having a 24/7 seizure right outside the Dark Brotherhood sanctuary. I don't even remember killing one nearby so it's a little odd. Still, minus some game freezes, I've gotten off pretty easy as far as glitches go. Other things:

- The armor you get for the Dark Brotherhood and the Thieves Guild is awesome in this game (especially as you advance along in the guild).

- Shadowmere is pretty awesome. I don't even need a companion with him(?) around, because he'll run right up to everything and start kicking it, which I found really funny. But is it just me, or does riding horses look super silly in this game?

- I've killed three companions so far (seems like I'm not alone in this). The first two walked in front of me mid-battle and I lit them on fire. The other one I killed on purpose because he was extremely annoying. It feels like later in the game they're more of an annoyance than actually helpful IMO.

The one thing I don't like about the game is that I don't have enough time for it. I have real problems, I know.

There are three dragon skeletons at the Mage's college.. I only killed two. They twitch because of the wind I think, the one right in front of the doors seems to be breakdancing. :lol:

There are three dragon skeletons at the Mage's college.. I only killed two. They twitch because of the wind I think, the one right in front of the doors seems to be breakdancing. :lol:

It's hysterical if not a little inconvenient (I've been ambushed a few times just outside of the Sanctuary for some reason and it kind of gets in the way... but makes for an interesting battle.)

A couple of other kind of annoying/funny things happened to me with dragons:

Once I was fighting a dragon on the side of the mountain. I got it down to its last bit of health and watched it fly to the other side of the mountain, where someone/something attacked it. I still haven't absorbed its soul because I can't find it anywhere.

Another time, I was doing the third (I think) Thieves Guild quest when a dragon showed up at the worst possible time.

I was at the part where you're supposed to light three beehives on fire. I did, and then, out of ???? nowhere a dragon swoops down and lights a fourth one on fire (and JUST the fourth one). Bastard. I didn't get paid thanks to that...

I love how you can smith your own gear but the only thing that bothers me is you can't make arrows! I'm a hunter type so I use the bow a lot but I can't make arrows and they're quite expensive. I was thinking maybe in the inevitable DLC add recipes for arrows like: Iron Arrow x20 - 1 Iron Ingot + 2 Fire Wood or Elven Arrows x20 - 1 Refined Moonstone + 2 Fire Wood, something like that.

Great idea! Should be able to make arrows with the wood you chop, giving you the choice to sell the wood or make arrows.

I don't seem to have any problems with arrows, I've got hundreds now, of all kinds. There's a perk that allows you to recover 2x as many arrows as well. I haven't bought a single thing in the game, except soul gems and magic tomes I think.

It's what Fable was promised to be by Moleneux, but never was. Plus it has badass dragons.

It is huge. I don't know how else to answer that question. Acres and acres to trek through.

The hype should have been bigger if it wanted to match Skyrim.

Graphics are great.

Are apples better than cars? Answer: both are good.

Thanks for answering my questions (And everyone else who did so too).

Is it bigger than RDR/GTA games, in your opinion? I know there is no way to tell, but maybe a rough guess.

PS map and world kinda reminds me of LORD OF THE RINGS, anyone else see it? Of course i've never played it but i've seen some of the world from reviews

Archived