The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

Russia and Taiwan are safe.

Vancouver newsroom has let out and will be back in less than two hours (4:30 PST).

I'll be listening to the radio in bed now. Good night guys and stay safe for those in advisory/watch/warning zones.

I read that it reached Taiwan. Not sure about the source though. Crazy footage of the damage in Japan.

Edited by rampage

I am in Chiba, just outside Tokyo. This earthquake was really scary, and some of the aftershocks were just as bad!

I put my cycling helmet on and when outside because my building was shaking so badly. The initial quake and strong

aftershocks went on for minutes! The cars were rocking back and forth.

Aftershocks have been going on since then, even now. just took my helmet off two hours ago.

It's been a terrible day!

Being from an earthquake-free country I would like to know if so many smaller quakes after a big one are normal. That list seems very long to me. blink.gif

With something big like this there are often many numerous aftershocks for days afterwards. I have never seen this many aftershocks that are this strong though. I do remember Chile had many but Japan has had over 40 in total but 10 above 5.2 already.

There are often sympathy quakes, possibly the explanation for Oklahoma, all over the planet after one this big. Think of a reverberating bell.

The really scary concept is that this 8.9 could be the pre-shock.

This will be one terrifying night in Japan.

Edited by theminister

I am in Chiba, just outside Tokyo. This earthquake was really scary, and some of the aftershocks were just as bad!

I put my cycling helmet on and when outside because my building was shaking so badly. The initial quake and strong

Aftershocks have been going on since then, even now. just took my helmet off two hours ago.

Keep us updated if you can, please!

Stay safe...

Oh my gosh, protect yourself the best you can, dude.. The footage is just awful.

^I'm not even worried about us. Call me foolish but I don't think it will happen, at least not to this degree. We constantly have weak earthquakes here which relieve pressure, and the one that caused Japan's was because of huge movement of plates that also moved the ones on top of them...? I can't imagine it's that bad for the coast here.

I hope to hell you are right but I am not sure that is the science.

There is every expectation that we could be hit by one this big. Believe it.

I hope to hell you are right but I am not sure that is the science.

There is every expectation that we could be hit by one this big. Believe it.

After every big earthquake especially in the past 2-3 years it's made me think we're next. Good thing it hasn't happened yet.

Thanks! Thankfully there doesn't seem to much damage where I am! I haven't been able to

make any local phone calls all day-it says the lines are busy.

Gas is off.

I don't like the idea of Pre-shock! Maybe I should put my helmet back on!

Sorry man . Don't mean to freak you out anymore than necessary.

Just do what the Prime Minister said: Stay vigilant and aware. Get some water, some food, and a flashlight if you can.

Edit: Just realized you are female. Sorry.

Edited by theminister

Thanks! Thankfully there doesn't seem to much damage where I am! I haven't been able to

make any local phone calls all day-it says the lines are busy.

Gas is off.

I don't like the idea of Pre-shock! Maybe I should put my helmet back on!

Not to freak you out either but maybe you should put it back on.. Just in case. Hope you can reach your loved ones asap.

Hope everything is alright around with your area