The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Chicharito to Leverkusen for £12m. Good signing for Bayer especially with the departure of Son.

Great signing. I'd love him at Albion. Rondon-Hernandez would have been a quality partnership.

yea, should be happening:

http://www.fff.fr/actualites/164024-570541-permission-exceptionnelle-pour-martial#brRRmLg1lId816sJ.99

how much did United gamble on this kid? the report on him from the sporting director at Monaco:

Tor-Kristian Karlsen:

Some thoughts on Anthony Martial: in terms of characteristics/role he's something between a second striker & a centre forward.

Outstanding features: smart movement, excellent close control/touch (and overall technical ability), makes everything look simple.

Very strong in 1v1 situations, obviously very quick/change of pace, surprisingly composed in front of goal for such a young player.

As a vague reference he can in some way be reminiscent of a young Thierry Henry (not the spitting image, but there are similarities).

On the flip side there are issues about consistency, ability to impose himself physically and possibly a certain lack of determination.

As for the price, Monaco clearly believe Martial is to become a world beater in a 1-2 year perspective (many "insiders" seem to agree).

So it's all about future projections & pricing of potential. Could be worth 10 million in a year, could be worth 80 million...

also Januzaj expected to go to Dortmund on loan -- probably with option to buy, otherwise why the hell would they loan him out to a German club?

Gary Neville kills it in this discussion:

Edited by GLASSJAW

Idk much about this kid but from the looks of it, it seems concerning. Not even 20 and dishing out estimated 50m for him? Why not just spend it on a proven stud instead. Don't get the move. For all we know he could easily bust.

it has been said many times in the last week, but why would Bale want to leave Madrid--the biggest team in the world, where he is being groomed to be a star... for United, which could be a sinking ship with a manager everybody seems to hate?

there are not many world class players realistically available.

it has been said many times in the last week, but why would Bale want to leave Madrid--the biggest team in the world, where he is being groomed to be a star... for United, which could be a sinking ship with a manager everybody seems to hate?

there are not many world class players realistically available.

I mean if Januzaj move is official and Chicharito is gone, we sign this kid, just imagine Rooney goes down. Have fun holding a top 4 spot. Just doesn't make sense if all these moves are true. More concerned than anything.

Move can be a touch of class but it can also blow back big time and make us an even bigger laughing stock than we've become the past couple years.

I mean if Januzaj move is official and Chicharito is gone, we sign this kid, just imagine Rooney goes down. Have fun holding a top 4 spot. Just doesn't make sense if all these moves are true. More concerned than anything.

Move can be a touch of class but it can also blow back big time and make us an even bigger laughing stock than we've become the past couple years.

like G Nev says in the video above, United haven't been without 4 forwards in over 20 years - LVG finally fixed United's midfield problem, but he poked a massive hole in the front now. Martial could turn out to be a wonderful player in 2, 3, 5 years, but this doesn't do a whole lot for the club right now. I would say they should be signing another forward, but at the rumoured cost of this kid, I'm not sure they could afford it

Idk much about this kid but from the looks of it, it seems concerning. Not even 20 and dishing out estimated 50m for him? Why not just spend it on a proven stud instead. Don't get the move. For all we know he could easily bust.

Everything I've seen of the kid tells me you'd be better off keeping Januzaj and spending this money on Edinson Cavani. Or Karim Benzema. Or Luca Toni even. LVG has gone mad.

I don't know much about Martial, it could be a risk but it also could work out well and he could end up being like Rooney. Rooney wasn't lighting the world on fire when he was a teenager on Everton but we dished out the money and he turned out to be a stud. Now he was a bit more known than Martial so I could just be totally wrong and he could also be a bust but the kid has potential to be a good player. But we can't seriously only sign a 19 year old and expect our goal scoring issues to be fixed immediately. I don't think this will be our only attacking player signing, there is no way LVG sells Chicha, loans out Januzaj and doesn't bring in more than only one player.

I'm happy we got Navas with the De Gea deal which softens the blow a bit because i am not comfortable with Romero as our starter.

So Januzaj loan is official. Chicarito has officially been dealt. Lindegaard is gone.

Martial deal isn't official and even if it does happen, our forwards are scarce af. Like you see the players we've let go and have failed to fill a position of need. Fixed a hole and created a gaping one upfront. Then you have City who is going absolutely world class and we are here supposedly spending money on question mark players. Like why not get kdb instead? Utd don't even stand for anything atm. There's nothing special about them and we've dished out so much money. I honestly have to back lvg cause it is what it is but as of this moment, I think he's lost it. If not a top 3 finish, fire him and let Giggs take over. No more of this philosophy bull and him doing it his way or the highway. Don't even think any big name profile players would want to come here because of him. Such hopeless times.