The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

On 19/04/2016 at 3:00 AM, CaptainCanuck001 said:

I don't think Spurs will win the league this year but they have definitely been the best team in the PL this year. 

The league table says otherwise. Every single manager of a top club in the PL needs to be sacked if/when Leicester win the league. It's an embarrassmenf to Tottenham, Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Everton, West Ham, Stoke, Southampton, almost all of them, that Leicester are top with 4 games left. Shambolic.

5 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

The league table says otherwise. Every single manager of a top club in the PL needs to be sacked if/when Leicester win the league. It's an embarrassmenf to Tottenham, Arsenal, United, Chelsea, Liverpool, City, Everton, West Ham, Stoke, Southampton, almost all of them, that Leicester are top with 4 games left. Shambolic.

How is it embarrassing? Its not like the 90s and early 2000s when likes of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool can buy all the good players from teams that do good. There is too much money in the PL espically with the new TV deal kicking in next year. 

For  example the team that finishes 1st next year will earn £150M in prize money, while the team that finishes last will earn £99M in prize money.

5 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

How is it embarrassing? Its not like the 90s and early 2000s when likes of United, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Liverpool can buy all the good players from teams that do good. There is too much money in the PL espically with the new TV deal kicking in next year. 

For  example the team that finishes 1st next year will earn £150M in prize money, while the team that finishes last will earn £99M in prize money.

Dude they won with freaking Shinji and Ulloa up front.  This club is the embodiment of hard nosed teamwork.  The big spenders should be ashamed of themselves.

22 hours ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Prize money has nothing to do with it. This season, Leicester were one of the favourites to be relegated. When a team that barely survived the previous season finishes above you, it doesn't matter if you've finished 10 places ahead of the previous season - it's still a failure.

Tottenham finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Arsenal finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Man City finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Man United finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Liverpool finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Chelsea finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Everton finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

West Ham finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Newcastle finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Southampton finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Stoke finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Finishing below a Leicester team that cost c.£25m, a team that is spearheaded by a 29 year old journeyman striker, is an embarrassment to every big team in the PL. Each and every one of those managers should be sacked.

1 hour ago, CaptainCanuck001 said:

Agreed this is a one season wonder, just like Blackburn.

My mates and I can't for the life of us figure out how Wes Morgan, Robert Huth, Danny Simpson, Marc Albrighton (average Prem players) have suddenly looked unreal all year.

They're bound to regress.  Playing in Europe will also factor in I think, in terms of fitness and depth.

And 2 of Vardy, Mahrez, and Kante will leave.  Maybe even Schmeichel

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Captain Woodget said:

Prize money has nothing to do with it. This season, Leicester were one of the favourites to be relegated. When a team that barely survived the previous season finishes above you, it doesn't matter if you've finished 10 places ahead of the previous season - it's still a failure.

Tottenham finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Arsenal finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Man City finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Man United finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Liverpool finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Chelsea finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Everton finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

West Ham finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Newcastle finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Southampton finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Stoke finishing below Leicester = a colossal failure.

Finishing below a Leicester team that cost c.£25m, a team that is spearheaded by a 29 year old journeyman striker, is an embarrassment to every big team in the PL. Each and every one of those managers should be sacked.

climb down off this "big" team malarkey. Everyone should know it's not only about how much a team has cost to assemble or how much they make it's about chemistry, and Leicester appear to have it in buckets.  As a team that finished last season with 7 wins and a draw from their last 9 games-sure their only loss was to the eventual champions and their other opponents weren't top sides- it was a good base to carry on to this season. Along with a realitivly low number of injuries this season has helped propel them to a freakishly good season.

As for listing managers who should be sacked, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle already have. It seems every game may be Martinez's last. I don't know what Wenger would have to do to get sacked. Spurs and West Ham I think have played well and is at least in part beacuse of their managers.

• Upvote 1

On April 24, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Chip Kelly said:

Will CR7 be fit for the first leg of Champions League semi's at Ethihad?

I really hope so because City seems to be in good form and their players seem to playing at a good level and with good chemistry the last few weeks.

Yep he will be.

• Upvote 1

Not finishing above a team with 3 losses is a colossal failure?

I get the context of it but no way.  Say it about Arsenal, United, City, or Chelsea since all were considered title contenders at the beginning of the season but the other ones are don't make sense.  Spurs are probably just happy to reach the top 4 for once.  West Ham and Soton are probably just happy not to have regressed and have a chance to challenge for a Europa spot.  

6 hours ago, otherwise said:

climb down off this "big" team malarkey. Everyone should know it's not only about how much a team has cost to assemble or how much they make it's about chemistry, and Leicester appear to have it in buckets.  As a team that finished last season with 7 wins and a draw from their last 9 games-sure their only loss was to the eventual champions and their other opponents weren't top sides- it was a good base to carry on to this season. Along with a realitivly low number of injuries this season has helped propel them to a freakishly good season.

As for listing managers who should be sacked, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Newcastle already have. It seems every game may be Martinez's last. I don't know what Wenger would have to do to get sacked. Spurs and West Ham I think have played well and is at least in part beacuse of their managers.

Speaking of which gets sacked is Van Gaal next? Heard Mourinho may be comig in? Zlatan wants to play in the EPL now? United a fit if Mourinho comes in?

37 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Speaking of which gets sacked is Van Gaal next? Heard Mourinho may be comig in? Zlatan wants to play in the EPL now? United a fit if Mourinho comes in?

Tons of reputable journalist in Europe say that Mourinho to United is done, along with Andrea Berta who is the sporting director at Atletico who will becom the Director of Football at United.

But the English press, who are hit and miss, say that Sir Alex and Sir Bobby don't want Mourinho and would prefer Giggs as the next manager. They also say Van Gaal could stay on as manager if he wins the FA Cup and gets CL football. I'm a little sceptical about all of this.

For transfers, I've seen the Zlatan rumour floating around and I'm a little conflicted on him coming to United. Love him as a player but he never seems to come thru in the big games (see PSG vs City in the CL), but I feel that with his physique and style of play he would thrive in the PL.

Other players I could see us going after are: Antoine Griezmann, Paul Pogba, Rento Sanches, John Stones(please no), Romelu Lukaku, João Cancelo, Riyad Mahrez, Andre Gomes, Saúl Niguez, James Rodriguez, Nikolas Maksimovic,

Ousmane Dembele, Kalidou Koulibaly.

We really need a CB, CM, RM and ST. 

Realistically the players I see us getting are, Griezmann, Sanches, Koulibaly, Zlatan, and maybe Saúl.

Just be prepared for another summer of United spending loads of cash.

• Upvote 1

Ronaldo out of the match right before. Prior he was cleared to play. Guess just taking the conservative approach.

..boring game...can see the impact Ronaldo has. Madrid's offensive power is just confused and lost without him. He makes it click and work.

• Upvote 1