The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

i don't want to get involved in the hostility, but isn't that a comma splice? second comma should be a period

obviously mahmood was being sarcatsic, but the sentence does read like it's one thought.

I read it it the way bananas meant it, but you're right. The second comma should have been a period.

Class dismissed! B)

ya, 20 mins left. Time for Honduras to start flopping around on the floor to kill the clock. Brutal red card on Occean in the Canada game. They better be calling Lucas Cavallini in Uruguay and Marcus Haber in England if they can't win an appeal. 4 days until we play Honduras and we need another striker.

there are feeds in Spanish on hahasport if people want to see the end of Panama-Honduras.

I can deal with the Belgium loss. I expected it tbh. 6-0 losing to Honduras is unacceptable for Canada. The CSA needs a revamp as does the coaching staff. I know Hart is renowned world wide for his time coaching Nova Scotia Donair Kings........

I've never expected them to get even close to that level. I'm not even shocked at the loss.

I was thinking more about the huge number of kids that play football in Canada, but how none of them seem to develop into anything exciting.

EDIT: Also, why are there 2 football threads now? Was this one not enough?

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

The thing is just like when I played in Northern BC, I had a great coach for 3 years (he was Australian) then after that it was total garbage coaching for a couple years after that and when I moved the programs here were okay, but I quit after one season because I wasn't enjoying it. I mean Daniel and Dominic Imhof played in the bulkley valley soccer league around the same time I was but they moved to Europe to further their careers. There is no pro league in Canada and the Canadian Soccer League only has teams in Ontario and are amateur/semi-pro. The USA has MLS/USL/NASL as well as college and high school leagues that are far superior to anything we have here. 4 pro clubs (FC Edmonton-Montreal Impact FC-Toronto FC-Whitecaps FC) isn't going to develop our talent enough. In bc we have the PCSL which is amateur at best and it's friends and family watching kinda thing. The Canadian Soccer Association is also broke. If most countries play 2 friendlies, Canada will play one, because that's all the plane tickets they can afford. It also doesn't help whenever we get talented players they want to play for another country:

Asmir Begovic (Bosnia)

Steven Vitoria (Portugal)

Daniel Fernandes (Portugal)

Ricardo Ferreira (Portugal)

Fraser Arid (Scotland)

Caolan Lavery (N. Ireland)

Jr Hoilet (England)

Owen Hargreaves (England)

Jonathan De Guzman (Holland)

Alain Rochat (Switzerland)

Teal Bunbury (USA)

Landon Donovan has a Canadian dad, but of course choose the USA. I think Joe Cannon is somewhat similar.

Losing that game puts our program back at least another 4 years too. Maybe I should bandwagon like other people and start cheering for Brazil and Spain instead of Scotland and Canada.

Edited by bobb

Reds dominate once again but blown chances, especially by Suarez, almost cost them again. Should have been 5-0. Could have been 1-1. Sterling looked good scoring the game-winner.

Hoops stomped St. Mirren 5-0! Wanyama will probably move at the next window. Man U? Liverpool? This guy is the real deal!

Unlucky boys.

Played your hearts out but it just wasn't enough. So proud to be a Celtic supporter.

I was really impressed by Celtic. In my opinion they improved a lot from last year when they played vs Atlético. They played very physical as always, but they showed some quality with the ball too.

Yeah, I was not pleased with the marking on the 2nd Barcelona goal. But, we did great considering everything. Also, what about Ambrose and his goal celebration against the saints.

Yeah, I was not pleased with the marking on the 2nd Barcelona goal. But, we did great considering everything. Also, what about Ambrose and his goal celebration against the saints.

I'm surprised at the amount of criticism they're getting for playing "anti-football", but I really don't see how else you can approach Barca at the Nou Camp without getting torn to shreds. I think we'll see a more attacking minded team at Celtic Park (I'm going - so excited), but I think we'll still be content to sit back and defend.

Yeah, the celebration was great. Terrible performance by the whole team today though. Mulgrew should not be playing midfield.