The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

Bernier doesn't hold the same value to NHL clubs as Schneider does. Not even close. These GMs are not dumb, they do their due diligence in scouting their potential targets. Not only has Bernier not played up to Schneider's level, but he has not proven himself against easy or tough opposition. I don't even think Bernier has Schneider upside personally. His hybrid style tends to get himself into trouble too often, and he's obviously below average in size.

Schneider should be able to step in and be a number one right away. He has the right mindset and character to pull in a larger workload, and be able to bounce back from poor outings. I'm not worried about Schneider's trade value. I'm willing to bet that of the young goaltenders, Schneider is the only one that gets moved...that he's the only guy GMs have big time interest in.

I'm not scared of Schneider's trade value either; I'm scared of Luongo's.

After 4 pointless games it would seem the Hodgson hype in Buffalo is dying down.

What should be noted is that Hodgson deserves as much hype as Tyler Ennis. Both first rounders. Both skilled. But Ennis scored 49pts as a rookie. Will Hodgson? No. So it would appear that Hodgson is an example of the Canadian Hockey Hype Machine at work. Bigtime. Heck, at least score some points like Kyle Turris before claiming this ridiculous hype...

Roy, Hodgson, Boyes, Leino... No size up the middle. That'll result in Miller having to stand on his head every night.

Time to remember that Buffalo was the seller here. Not us. Cheers.

TOML

Sorry, but don't understand what this part means...Turris has scored 20 and 25 points two seasons before he had that RFA situation, and now has 19 points this season (albeit in 35 games).

I think Cody is a lot more established than that at this point

Hodgson: 5 games, 0 points

Kassian: 3 games, 2 points

Yep... and Hodgson has been averaging the 17-18 minutes a night he was so desperate for... while Kassian is at 12-13.

I guess the Canucks had Hodgson in the right spot to develop him as a rookie. The quality of opposition you face on the 3rd line is noticeably different than on the 2nd line.

It really doesn't matter, Cody provided good chemistry on our team. He added depth scoring, and gave us a play-making center for the second unit power play, which made it very dangerous. This alone added a dimension to our team that we now lack and we have lost a dimension for which Kassian is not going to compensate. This was a stupid trade, which if necessary, should have been done in the off-season, not at the deadline. I question the hockey knowledge of every person who thinks this was a good trade, not one of them has a clue.

You do not add toughness by trading a player like Hodgson, you package him in the off-season with Scheider for something amazing. We will see the full negative impact of this trade when we hit the playoffs.

It really doesn't matter, Cody provided good chemistry on our team. He added depth scoring, and gave us a play-making center for the second unit power play, which made it very dangerous. This alone added a dimension to our team that we now lack and we have lost a dimension for which Kassian is not going to compensate. This was a stupid trade, which if necessary, should have been done in the off-season, not at the deadline. I question the hockey knowledge of every person who thinks this was a good trade, not one of them has a clue.

You do not add toughness by trading a player like Hodgson, you package him in the off-season with Scheider for something amazing. We will see the full negative impact of this trade when we hit the playoffs.

You keep holding onto that...

For my books, adding Pahlsson, Kassian, and MAG makes us a better and deeper team for a playoff run than having Hodgson.

Hodgson lining up and trying to handle the big forwards like San Jose or St. Louis in the playoffs was just not going to work.

I can just see the thread titles when we get dumped out of the playoffs, they will read, this has nothing to do with the Hodgson trade, and people will keep hanging on to that.

You make Hodgson out as one of the core players. We only go as Kesler, Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Loungo/Schneider go. If they fail then its on them.

You make Hodgson out as one of the core players.  We only go as Kesler, Sedins, Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Loungo/Schneider go.    If they fail then its on them.

It has nothing to do with who the core players are, it has everything to do with the dynamics and dimensions of a hockey team and when you do and do not make certain kinds of changes. They have taken away one whole dimension of our team, which goes way beyond the single player in question, and now we have to play around with the chemistry to see if we can put it all back together again.

It has nothing to do with who the core players are, it has everything to do with the dynamics and dimensions of a hockey team and when you do and do not make certain kinds of changes. They have taken away one whole dimension of our team, which goes way beyond the single player in question, and now we have to play around with the chemistry to see if we can put it all back together again.

I don't see how Hodgson is a whole dimension from the team. The 3rd line will continue to pot in a few goals and it wasn't like he was doing much on the 2nd unit power play.

We actually ADDED a few dimensions to our team.

1. We can ice a bigger lineup when needed by throwing Kassian and Bitz onto the roster, adding to Pahlsson who is bigger and more physical than Hodgson was.

2. We have another solid puck moving defenceman in MAG... we can start avoiding putting forwards at the point on the PP.

3. We can have a shut down line which we didn't have before.

4. We have another guy in Pahlsson who can take PK and defensive duties, freeing up our top 6 to score more.

I don't see how Hodgson is a whole dimension from the team. The 3rd line will continue to pot in a few goals and it wasn't like he was doing much on the 2nd unit power play.

We actually ADDED a few dimensions to our team.

1. We can ice a bigger lineup when needed by throwing Kassian and Bitz onto the roster, adding to Pahlsson who is bigger and more physical than Hodgson was.

2. We have another solid puck moving defenceman in MAG... we can start avoiding putting forwards at the point on the PP.

3. We can have a shut down line which we didn't have before.

4. We have another guy in Pahlsson who can take PK and defensive duties, freeing up our top 6 to score more.

Don't let logic get in the way of a good rant about the myth that Hodgson's "clutch" play would've led us to a Cup this year (odds of getting to the finals in back to back seasons were/are slim to begin with anyway).

Technically clutch play is somewhat of a myth in itself, as well. Prior to Burrows scoring in games 6 & 7 versus Chicago he was becoming somewhat renowned as a playoff choke artist and suddenly after one epic series game winning goal in OT he's "clutch".

With Zack Kassian taking Cody Hodgson's spot on the bench for the third period, Jannik Hansen looked Thursday to be the biggest beneficiary of the trade.

"Pahlsson is so good defensively, he's always in the right spot and it has a calming effect on a line when he's out there," Hansen said. "You see it right away. You see how he approaches guys in corners. You see how he brings the puck out. He doesn't look like he's rushed or nervous. He's so calm. That comes with the experience he has."

It goes without saying it's experience Hodgson lacked. The Canucks' third line of Hansen, Pahlsson and Mason Raymond had speed Thursday, and produced a goal. But it was the defensive work which Hansen couldn't stop talking about.

"With Cody, it was a whole different set up," Hansen said. "It was about producing and trying to score goals. With Samme, it's a checking game again for me and being able to play against other team's top lines. And not being a liability."

For the first time in a long time, Hansen said he feels like he has an identity. Good thing, because despite Hansen's career high in goals he hasn't been anywhere near the tenacious player he was last year.

"I like that identity," Hansen said. "It's nice to score goals and put up points. Everyone wants to do that. But where I've been the most successful, and had the most fun playing the game is when I have this role. Especially last year with Raffi (Torres) and Manny (Malhotra). Just to be able to play that type of game again. It's a grind game. We're not relied on to score goals in bunches, it's about securing our own end and being sound defensively. Whenever we can chip in, it's going to be huge for us."

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/Canucks+Pahlsson+steps+with+game+changing+goal/6274407/story.html#ixzz1oft1amFw

Have to play around with chemistry and put it all back together again, you say? I say that Hansen thinks Cody did more to disrupt the chemistry of the third line than anything and, remember, the checking line of Torres-Lapierre-Hansen was critical for us during last year's run to the Cup. Meanwhile you bemoan the loss of Kyle Wellwood type offensive production in the playoffs that had Kesler bearing all the "hard minutes" and main defensive workload... That approach proved to be a recipe for epic 2nd round failure in both '08-'09 & '09-'10.

Hodgson: 5 games, 0 points

Kassian: 3 games, 2 points

Vancouver: 2-3-1 since trade

Buffalo: 5-2-0 since trade

Sedins have been ineffective, and Kassian, playing on the fourth line, has been invisible for a couple of games. Meanwhile, on the second line in Buffalo Hodgson is a scoring/playmaking threat, despite not recording any points.

What am I getting to? Without secondary scoring we're dead meat.

Vancouver: 2-3-1 since trade

Buffalo: 5-2-0 since trade

Sedins have been ineffective, and Kassian, playing on the fourth line, has been invisible for a couple of games. Meanwhile, on the second line in Buffalo Hodgson is a scoring/playmaking threat, despite not recording any points.

What am I getting to? Without secondary scoring we're dead meat.

Okay, since Hodgson has been gone we have gotten:

Higgins 2g 3a 5pts

Kesler 2g 1a 3pts

Booth 2g 1a 3pts

Kassian 1g 1a 2pts

Pahlsson 1g 1a 2pts

Hansen 0g 2a 2pts

Edler 3g 0a 3pts

Bieksa 0g 5a 5pts

Hamhuis 0g 2a 2pts

Salo 0g 2a 2pts

Rome 1g 0a 1pt

Tanev 0g 1a 1pt

That's 12g 19a 31pts in 6gp. Two goals, five assist average of secondary scoring per game average since CoHo has been gone. Secondary scoring is not the issue, primary scoring is.

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. One can say that our top line during this unsuccessful stretch is the Kesler line which, is not an implausible statement to make. They have been stepping it up, but our secondary scoring (i.e. anyone not the Kesler line) has been lacking.

Wouldn't you agree that our primary scorers, as evidenced by the stats that you just put out, is the Kesler line? Think of it as Detroit's Datsyuk line and Zetterberg line. Whichever line is more offensive is considered as the primary scoring line. The equilibrium of scoring prowess has shifted, thus making a new equilibrium altogether.

So, if the above philosophy holds true, keep in mind everyone has a different philosophy, then the secondary scorers are the issue.

Is the cup half full?

Is the top D pairing Edler-Salo?

Do we have two number one goaltenders?

Philosophy, don't you just love it how you can make an argument with something that is total BS :lol:

That, my friend, is where you are wrong. One can say that our top line during this unsuccessful stretch is the Kesler line which, is not an implausible statement to make. They have been stepping it up, but our secondary scoring (i.e. anyone not the Kesler line) has been lacking.

Wouldn't you agree that our primary scorers, as evidenced by the stats that you just put out, is the Kesler line? Think of it as Detroit's Datsyuk line and Zetterberg line. Whichever line is more offensive is considered as the primary scoring line. The equilibrium of scoring prowess has shifted, thus making a new equilibrium altogether.

So, if the above philosophy holds true, keep in mind everyone has a different philosophy, then the secondary scorers are the issue.

Is the cup half full?

Is the top D pairing Edler-Salo?

Do we have two number one goaltenders?

Philosophy, don't you just love it how you can make an argument with something that is total BS :lol:

I'm sorry but there is just no rational way to say Datsyuk's line is being relied upon to provide secondary offence. Pretty much everyone in the world knows Pavel is the most skilled player in the game of hockey and has been the best point producer on his team for years now.

The same holds true in the case of our team. There is absolutely no question that the Sedins have each averaged at least a point per game over the last three years and that they both have vastly outproduced Kesler (even this year) over that course of time. Had they been putting up their customary point-per-game numbers, we'd be scoring the league high 3 goals per game average that consistently wins you hockey games.

Whether you want to play with semantics and call Kesler's scoring "primary", Hodgson's scoring "secondary" and the Sedin's scoring "tertiary" (:lol:) the bottom line is this: without the Sedins providing scoring we'd still be screwed even if Hodgson was here and averaging 1.6g 1.7a per every 6.4gp (something he stopped doing in the 2nd half of this year - incidentally right when the game started changing into a checker's paradise).

Archived