The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Whats A Realistic Contract To Sign Schnieder For This Summer? Is Letting Him Go In Rfa Really A Bad Thing?

Whats a realistic contract to sign Schnieder for this summer?

If I were MG and I were looking to gain as much value as I could for the team in general, the correct thing to do would be to sign Cory for a few more years and then trade the guy. The problem of course is, how much would we have to pay Cory and over how many years? Over bid and you're stuck with a bad contract that no one wants. Underbid, and there goes Schneider.

Is 3.5M over 3 years realistic?

Now of course there is the chance that someone would bid for Cory as an RFA.If so I'd think that he'd go for at least 3M which means that we'd pick up a first round and 3rd round pick off of interested teams. So which teams are interested? Perhaps letting low quality teams give us their 1st and 3rd wouldn't be a bad thing.

Whats a realistic contract to sign Schnieder for this summer?

If I were MG and I were looking to gain as much value as I could for the team in general, the correct thing to do would be to sign Cory for a few more years and then trade the guy. The problem of course is, how much would we have to pay Cory and over how many years? Over bid and you're stuck with a bad contract that no one wants. Underbid, and there goes Schneider.

Is 3.5M over 3 years realistic?

Now of course there is the chance that someone would bid for Cory as an RFA.If so I'd think that he'd go for at least 3M which means that we'd pick up a first round and 3rd round pick off of interested teams. So which teams are interested? Perhaps letting low quality teams give us their 1st and 3rd wouldn't be a bad thing.

Well, considering Luongo has 10 years left on his contract, I'm not sure they'll be able to dish out for Schneids. IMO, Schneider is worth 3 to 4 million a season, but having said that, there is no way the 'Nucks can dish that out, without trading someone else. *cough cough ~ Ballard*

Realisticly 2.5-2.75/yr over 3yrs.

This make him much more appealing to other teams who tought they may have to offersheet him much higher.

But if Gillis was able to sign him to a contract like this he would most likely wait until next season and pull a trade 20-30gms into the season like he did for Booth. The reason for this is simple. A team only 20-30gms in that is struggling still has a chance to right the ship and will be willing to pay the price to do so.

Realisticly 2.5-2.75/yr over 3yrs.

This make him much more appealing to other teams who tought they may have to offersheet him much higher.

But if Gillis was able to sign him to a contract like this he would most likely wait until next season and pull a trade 20-30gms into the season like he did for Booth. The reason for this is simple. A team only 20-30gms in that is struggling still has a chance to right the ship and will be willing to pay the price to do so.

You reckon Boston will go after a goalie :lol:

It was sounding really convincing till then... Rask has results = to Schneider, a lower contract and a full year as a starter (where he took the role from Thomas) under his belt.

And I am being serious here, your value on contracts is fair. Niemi got $3.8 with a cup ring under his belt. If an up & coming team could sign Schneider as UFA, I could see it being at Niemi's figure. But if they also had to give up a first and a??? Then they would have a lack of good prospects with fresh legs (on entry contracts) to get them to the next level. See Colorado. $3.5 is my guess as to the top end of offer sheets, and we would match that.

The team to watch is one like Philly. Dont think for a second they wont flush Brizzy's contract!

1.) Schneider does have the right to negotiate the length of term as well as dollar amount per season. If he chose to go the Suter route, he could sign here for one more year, and then become a UFA. If that became the case, he could then leave and the Canucks would get nothing (or he could re-sign, who knows?). As I recall, he would not be able to be traded in that time, so Gillis could not flip him at the trade deadline next year.

2.) Having over $8 million tied up in goalies (however good they are) is not a good use of your cap. Only one of the guys gets to play at any given time, and while it might be nice to have a very high quality back-up, you can't rely on your starter being injured or playing poorly often enough to make it economically feasible to spend that amount. The extra couple of million it might take to keep Schneider might make the difference in whether the team can afford to sign some FA d-man this off season.

3.) Leaving it up to a crap-shoot of which team will offer Schneider a contract might not work in the Canucks' favour. If a much lower ranked team won the bidding then the return might be a lottery pick, maybe even the number one overall. On the other hand, Schneider might prefer to go to a good team and become a starter there, even if it was for a bit less money. Were you in Schneider's position, would you go to some rebuilding team (eg. CBJ) which is five or more years away from a serious shot at making the playoffs let alone contending for the Cup, for an extra $500,000 a year, or would you like to play for a quality organization which is a contender?

What if the team who gets the #29 pick (assuming the Canucks get #30) wins the bidding for Schneider? Suddenly getting their number one pick is no longer an attractive option.

EXAMPLE: Were the Canucks to face Boston again, and win this time around, I could see the Bruins going after Schneider. Schneider is a Boston kid, so that and his ability would be an easy sell to their fans. Thomas would have one year left on his contract ($5 million), and his NTC would be over July 1 this year. He could be moved by the start of the season, or as a rental at the trade deadline, to a team which is close to going somewhere in the playoffs (likely bringing back a decent pick or prospect). Rask is going to be a RFA this year and would bring a good return in a trade, should Boston choose to move him. So, for a reasonable contract to Schneider, the Bruins would get: Schneider, a pick/prospect(s) from Thomas, a pick/prospect(s) from Rask, and at least $1 million in leftover cap space from moving Thomas.

I prefer the trade option. The Canucks will know what they will be getting.

regards,

G.

Archived