The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Roenick Calls The Canucks A Sleeper In The West

IMyMeMine

Some of you guys are such typical CDC whiners man, lighten up. Roenick is talking about the lack of press, not that the Canucks aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing. He's giving praise to our team yet we got people on here complaining about his comments that we're a sleeper team. He's talking about how great our team is and no one is paying attention for the most part in the press. I see nothing but respect for our goalies and team in his comments. He even talks about us getting tougher with the moves we've made.

I liked the article, anything positive written should be welcomed with open arms. He's right the US press has ignored the Canucks this season for the most part...

Why are people complaining that he called us a sleeper team when he said at the end "I know it sounds absurd, but"

The article is pretty specific why he called a first place team a sleeper.

That's an interesting thing to say by Roenick. Even more interesting because admitted he knows it sounds ridiculous to call a first place team a sleeper, but he's doing it anyways. Any theories as to why we're flying under the radar? I have a couple.

-We're a Canadian team, so the US media doesn't give us much attention

-We've been a good team for a while, so we're not new and exciting like the Blues for example

-No one expects a team to make it to the Finals two years in a row.

I think it's better that we do fly under the radar. Less pressure and not as much attention. The team can quietly do their job without all the distractions from last year.

The difference between this year and last is, even if win the El Presidente again there will not be as much of an expectation on us to win outside of Vancity. We are flying more under the radar now than we were this time last year. That is a good thing. JR has it right in this article.

I think he speaks of his personal experience. He likely pays less attention to canucks then other teams like Pens, Wings, Boston, and Chicago. There is nothing "flying under the radar" about being tied for first in league! The only sleeper is mister Roenick for not giving the Canucks enough credit that they DESERVE to be where they are. When this team wins it is usually as a team not as a couple of individuals. Having an excellent Goalie duo certainly separates them from most! Having said all that some of the points he makes about the make up of the team are spot on, But a sleeper.... In your dreams!

Why are people ragging on Roenick?

1) He basically says we should get more media attention

2) He says that our team is playing great and is more well rounded than last year

3) The goaltending tandem isn't a controversy, likens it to Halak/Elliott

4) "It wouldn't shock [him] at all" if we made the finals again

Thank you JR. It's a good article, and some people respond without reading.

Why are people ragging on Roenick?

1) He basically says we should get more media attention

2) He says that our team is playing great and is more well rounded than last year

3) The goaltending tandem isn't a controversy, likens it to Halak/Elliott

4) "It wouldn't shock [him] at all" if we made the finals again

Thank you JR. It's a good article, and some people respond without reading.

Archived