The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Not Lu For Hedman?

You are all dreamers... Luongo for Hedman is laughable.... why on earth would TB trade a huge young full of potentian D-man.. let alone for a goalie on the down swing of his career with a huge contract. As I said in a previous post... it would probably have to be Luongo and maybe something to relieve cap space for Lacavlier. They both have similar contracts, and are both on thew down side of their careers. You would trade a goalie who would be sitting on the bench eating up cap space for a 2nd line or 3rd line center who has huge upside on the powerplay, the numbers are a wash...

If Luongo does agree to be traded, and he agrees to be traded to TB, and TB agrees to trade for Luongo, then I believe the deal will likely be more like this:

to TB: Luongo, Ballard, the rights to Raymond, a prospect and a pick or two (Vancouver's 1st +). The 1st happens only if Gillis does not intend to try to sign a high priced RFA.

to Van: Detroit's 1st, Purcell, Garon and maybe a prospect or additional pick.

TB gets a goalie and a good quality d-man, etc and they get to dump Garon's salary. Vancouver gets a bottom ten pick, a decent sized winger (who will be a UFA after the 2013-14 season, and likely will expect a good sized contract), and the cap space from Luongo's contract, etc.

This off-season, (hopefully) Gillis signs Suter to a $6.5 million per season cap hit contract (front-loaded and spread over several years). Otherwise, if you want Gillis to sign Weber, then just take out Suter's name and insert Weber's. Add another million or so (?), and deduct the appropriate number of draft picks, and you're done.

Gillis re-signs: Volpatti, Ebbett, Bitz, Gragnani and Rome. Schenider is signed @ $3 million (give or take). There's a couple of million left over (assuming you didn't sign Weber) to top up any contracts that need an extra 100K or so, and also for things like playoff rentals. When added to the cap space gained by free agent departures the following year then there is lots of cash for next season's free agent signings Gillis wishes to keep (eg. Edler).

I would like it if Gillis could sign Pahlsson, but I do not see him fitting under the cap, plus his age (34) and the fact that Malhotra (31) is showing signs of getting back to last year's form argues against signing him.

My Custom Lineup :)

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

David Booth ($4.250m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / Teddy Purcell ($2.363m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.550m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.650m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,007,500; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $2,292,500

As is usual with this team, there will be a certain amount of fluidity in the line combinations. Kassian will be anywhere from 1st to 4th to the press box. Volpatti, Bitz and Ebbett will play a variable number of games.

regards,

G.

i would do Luongo for Hedman straight up too. But if they need a cap dump, then let's do:

TAMPA: Luongo/Raymond/Sauve/1st

VAN: Hedman/Ohlund/1st

i would LOVE to have ohlund back, even if he plays only 1 game for us for the rest of his career. He should retire a canuck anyway. Any other jersey looks stupid on him.

Then trade:

CBJ: Ballard/1st/Schroeder/prospect

CAL: Iginla

Sedins - Iginla

Booth - Kesler - Burrows

Higgins - Pahlsson - Hansen

Volpatti - Lapierre - Kassian

Hammer - Bieksa

Edler - Hedman

Salo/Tanev/Ohlund

Schneider

Lack

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Hold on, I need to get a kleenex to wipe away the tears of laughter.

How many teams would actually take Luongo's contract, hmmm? List is shorter than your list. Out of those teams. how many would Luongo waive his NTC for, hmmmm?

Canucks will be lucky if they get to walk away from Luongo's contract for free. They probably will have to take another bad contract in exchange.

Nice try pal. If pretending you know anything about hockey doesn't workout for you, you can always go to comedy with your outrageous claims of hockey knowledge.

Well if it wasn't obvious that you were 12 years old, I would argue with you using actual facts to show how horribly ignorant you are.

Heck, read some of the above thread. Luongo is on a GOOD contract! Teams would love to have a top 10 goalie in the league locked up for that salary.

You are clearly too young to remember what it is like not to have solid goaltending... it affects the entire team, players can't focus on offence as they know they have to be ready to bail their goalie out.

Revised line-up with the addition of Malone rather than Purcell.

FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)

Ryan Malone ($4.500m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m) / David Booth ($4.250m)

Chris Higgins ($1.900m) / Manny Malhotra ($2.500m) / Jannik Hansen ($1.350m)

Aaron Volpatti ($0.650m) / Maxim Lapierre ($1.000m) / Zack Kassian ($0.870m)

Andrew Ebbett ($0.550m) / Byron Bitz ($0.700m)

DEFENSEMEN

Ryan Suter ($6.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)

Kevin Bieksa ($4.600m) / Dan Hamhuis ($4.500m)

Andrew Alberts ($1.225m) / Chris Tanev ($0.900m)

Marc-Andre Gragnani ($0.650m) / Aaron Rome ($0.750m)

GOALTENDERS

Cory Schneider ($3.000m)

Mathieu Garon ($1.300m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,145,000; BONUSES: $0

CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $155,000

Tight on the cap space, but Gillis has run with that before. I see things being interesting in 2013 - 14 when Edler's contract comes up, not to mention Malhotra, Burrows, Higgins, Lapierre and Alberts. Gillis would have to come up with as much as $8 million (give or take) to sign these guys, or their replacements.

regards,

G.

Luongo would be an upgrade in goaltending to about 2/3rds of the teams in the league. There is a reason that there is lots of action up to draft day every year, so many teams had disappointing seasons they are looking to revise their rosters and fill holes.

Your unwarranted hate-on for the guy is blinding you to reality. Luongo has the best post-lockout numbers around, and is one of the elite goalies in the league. There will be a market for him the same as there is for Nash.

I don't think Luongo has that much trade value at all to be honest...

1) He hasn't played well in the most important games.

2) He is under contract for 12 more years

3) He gets to choose his destination due to his NTC which means there will not be any type of bidding war.

If Luongo is willing to go to Tampa Bay and Yzerman wants him then Yzerman has all the power in the situation. He could say "4th round pick, take it or leave it" and if the Nucks wanna go with Schneider they will have no other option and will have to accept.

I don't see Luongo giving the Canucks more than one option and I can't see too many teams lining up to acquire Luongo. If he does however, then his value will be way higher.

Archived