The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Not Lu For Hedman?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA... You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Hold on, I need to get a kleenex to wipe away the tears of laughter.

How many teams would actually take Luongo's contract, hmmm? List is shorter than your list. Out of those teams. how many would Luongo waive his NTC for, hmmmm?

Canucks will be lucky if they get to walk away from Luongo's contract for free. They probably will have to take another bad contract in exchange.

Nice try pal. If pretending you know anything about hockey doesn't workout for you, you can always go to comedy with your outrageous claims of hockey knowledge.

oh, Oh, OH!! I know, I know!!! It's because *if* Vancouver were to keep Luongo, having $5.3 million tied up in a back-up would be too hard on the cap.

This does not mean that Luongo is bad. It does mean that the team has decided to go with a different guy as their starter. This does not diminish the quality of Luongo, and he would be an upgrade for at least 2/3 teams in the NHL..

It's called a business decision.

Anyone think New Jersey could really use Luongo?

Brodeur's contract is expiring after this season and I could see him retiring as statistically the greatest goaltender of all time. He does not looke the same as he used to and got pulled last game vs. Florida.

Lamoriello also clearly wants to win now and has no problem signing extremely long contracts (eg - Kovalchuk).

Luongo could definitely waive his NTC to have a stable job in one of the best organizations in the NHL. Clearly a system that gives goalies the opportunity to be succesful.

How about this:

To New Jersey: Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver: Mattias Tedenby, NJD 2nd round pick

I don't know if New Jersey would be willing to give up on Tedenby yet but after a solid rookie season last year he struggled a lot this year and was sent down to the AHL and is not on the playoff roster.

Tedenby was a 1st round pick in 2008 and is loaded with a ton of speed and offensive skills.

Tedenby, Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Rodin looks like a lot of high end potential up front moving forward.

Anyone think New Jersey could really use Luongo?

Brodeur's contract is expiring after this season and I could see him retiring as statistically the greatest goaltender of all time. He does not looke the same as he used to and got pulled last game vs. Florida.

Lamoriello also clearly wants to win now and has no problem signing extremely long contracts (eg - Kovalchuk).

Luongo could definitely waive his NTC to have a stable job in one of the best organizations in the NHL. Clearly a system that gives goalies the opportunity to be succesful.

How about this:

To New Jersey: Roberto Luongo

To Vancouver: Mattias Tedenby, NJD 2nd round pick

I don't know if New Jersey would be willing to give up on Tedenby yet but after a solid rookie season last year he struggled a lot this year and was sent down to the AHL and is not on the playoff roster.

Tedenby was a 1st round pick in 2008 and is loaded with a ton of speed and offensive skills.

Tedenby, Kassian, Schroeder, Jensen, Rodin looks like a lot of high end potential up front moving forward.

If Luongo does agree to be traded, and he agrees to be traded to TB, and TB agrees to trade for Luongo, then I believe the deal will likely be more like this:

to TB: Luongo, Ballard, the rights to Raymond, a prospect and a pick or two (Vancouver's 1st +). The 1st happens only if Gillis does not intend to try to sign a high priced RFA.

to Van: Detroit's 1st, Purcell, Garon and maybe a prospect or additional pick.

regards,

G.

Actually, you don't know what you are talking about. There is a team out in Lu 's contract in 4 years. So in 4 years the team can walk or they can Keep Lu and his very good cap hit. Lu is an upgrade on a lot of teams starters. His return won't be as good as Schneids but it will be decent.

People are way too focused on Luongo's stats as an indication of his skill as a goalie. Fact is the Canucks have had a fantastic D for a good 4-5 years now. His stats are at least a little inflated.

Next, he's only a top 5 goaltender when nobody is looking. It's the same every single year:

"I've worked all summer and am going to start well"

*All eyes on Luongo*

*Starts horribly, every single year*

*Everybody loses interest due to beginning season hype being over, less pressure*

*Luongo suddenly is a top 5 goalie*

*Canucks go to playoffs, all eyes on Luongo*

*Luongo crumbles*

He is not a pressure goalie, every GM knows this and because of that they won't commit to his ridiculous contract. It's not just about the cap hit, it's about the cap hit and the length. If he goes to a team and does what he's always done, he will have no trade value. That team would be stuck with him for a ridiculously long time. It's a huge gamble and every GM knows that.

So no, Luongo for Hedman is not realistic. Nor is Luongo for Connolly and the 10th overall. If Gillis gets either one of those he's GM of the year, hands down.

i like the idea of a one to one with TB, Lu for Hedman.

TB Gets: An all star top rated goalie and a chance to be Playoff for runners.

Lou Gets: Closer to his family. A chance to play for a team and city that will fall in love with him and not destroy him every time a goal is let in.

Van Gets: a up comming Dman Star and a guy who will have a big presence on the ice. Plus a good salaray dump back that they can use to resign Schnieder and possibley sign Lack as Schiend's Backup.

in the end: Win Win for every one involved.

i like the idea of a one to one with TB, Lu for Hedman.

TB Gets: An all star top rated goalie and a chance to be Playoff for runners.

Lou Gets: Closer to his family. A chance to play for a team and city that will fall in love with him and not destroy him every time a goal is let in.

Van Gets: a up comming Dman Star and a guy who will have a big presence on the ice. Plus a good salaray dump back that they can use to resign Schnieder and possibley sign Lack as Schiend's Backup.

in the end: Win Win for every one involved.

I do like Luongo. I believe he is a very good goalie, and will be so for a number of years to come. This being said:

1.) Luongo is 33. Hedman is 21.

2.) Luongo has a $5.3 million cap hit for another eight years. Hedman has $4 million cap hit starting next year, lasting 5 years.

3.) Luongo likely has another 3 years of quality play left in him (perhaps more, but chances are there's only 3). Hedman has another 12 years before he reaches Luongo's current age.

If TB did do this deal it would be Win Win, but it would just be a whole lot more WIN on the side of the Canucks.

regards,

G.

Archived