The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] Travis Hamonic

Great young solid all around dman, pulling up a team's best of +6 on a dreadful Islander team. He also has 20+ points and would be very solid on our back-end.

What would his value be worth? He's what MG calls an "instant impact young player"

I'd have to say Cory Schneider for Hamonic + 1st.

->Hamonic is arguably one of their best players, and Schneider one of ours. Nabokov is getting old, and since Schneider > Hamonic straight up, the 1st would sweeten the deal.

Thoughts?

**I think the lines would be something like

Bieksa / Hamhuis

Edler / Hamonic

Ballard / Tanev

**Salo

-> Salo's getting old, maybe as a 7th defencemen he can play great with limited games.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd bump this thread for further discussion. Hamonic would be a great under-the-radar trade if Gillis goes after him.

For those of you who don't know, Hamonic is a solid two-way defenseman. He is very physical and blocks a ton of shots. He is solidly built at 6'2" 203 pounds and logs top-4 minutes. He reminds me of a young Kevin Bieksa. Regarding his defensive play, Hamonic is a +10 in 2 seasons as an Islander, which is very impressive considering the Islanders are a combined -88 in goal differential in those 2 seasons. We should get this kid now.

also

What would it take to get him out of New York and into Vancouver? Keep in mind, with this season's salary cap of $64.3M and a cap floor of $48.3M, the Islanders would have to take in more than $10M to reach the cap floor. They also need to make the playoffs.

Hamonic would be a great under-the-radar trade if Gillis goes after him.

For those of you who don't know, Hamonic is a solid two-way defenseman. He is very physical and blocks a ton of shots. He is solidly built at 6'2" 203 pounds and logs top-4 minutes. He reminds me of a young Kevin Bieksa. Regarding his defensive play, Hamonic is a +10 in 2 seasons as an Islander, which is very impressive considering the Islanders are a combined -88 in goal differential in those 2 seasons. We should get this kid now.

What would it take to get him out of New York and into Vancouver? Keep in mind, with this season's salary cap of $64.3M and a cap floor of $48.3M, the Islanders would have to take in more than $10M to reach the cap floor. They also need to make the playoffs.

You'll have to overpay for Hamonic. He's NYI's best defenseman behind Streit and he's got unreal chemistry with MacDonald, think Hamhuis-Bieksa. He's still young and projects to be a top two-way defender who can log big minutes. Islanders don't really have anyone to replace him or Streit who is aging.

I don't think Luongo would waive his NTC to go back to the Islanders. That being said, Daniel Winnik seems like a very solid player to go on our bottom 6. Looking at his stats he seems solid defensively. 2:26 SH TOI, 95 hits and 50 blocked shots, but even more impressive is over 2:1 takeaway-giveaway ratio.

I think we'd have a formidable bottom 6 with these lines, just play them evenly:

Winnik ~ Lapierre ~ Hansen

Higgins ~ Pahlsson ~ Moen

Malhotra to rotate in and out of the lineup to give them rest.

You'll have to overpay for Hamonic. He's NYI's best defenseman behind Streit and he's got unreal chemistry with MacDonald, think Hamhuis-Bieksa. He's still young and projects to be a top two-way defender who can log big minutes. Islanders don't really have anyone to replace him or Streit who is aging.

Genius under-the-radar pick-up if we got him. Definately looks like he fits the needs of our team. If Gillis could land him and he thrives, which he very well could, people will forget quickly about the Hodgson deal and realize just how good of a GM MG is.

Archived