The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Debunking The Roberto Luongo Myths

JustNazzy

Makes me sick that people have no respect for Luongo. The guy basically gave new life to this team and put them on a level nobody's ever known or even imagined ten years ago. Did everything to get the win, until he had almost nothing left. Gave everyone a new hope.

Yeah, and he led Canada to Olympic gold, as the sole Vancouver Canuck player on that team, playing on Vancouver Canuck ice.

Makes me sick that people have no respect for Luongo. The guy basically gave new life to this team and put them on a level nobody's ever known or even imagined ten years ago. Did everything to get the win, until he had almost nothing left. Gave everyone a new hope.

Yeah, and he led Canada to Olympic gold, as the sole Vancouver Canuck player on that team, playing on Vancouver Canuck ice.

He was amazing as a Panther and as a Canuck, UNTIL HE RIPPED UP HIS GROIN. Ever since that fateful morning in Pittsburgh he hasn't been the same, folks. His reaction time is slower. His side-to-side is slower. His five hole is open longer. He flops a lot. All of these things point to a lingering groin problem. And a lot of declining goaltenders have one.

1996. SCF Game 4: Avalanche on the road against the Panthers. Avs have 3-0 series lead. Roy had only given up 4 goals in the first 3 games combined.

Patrick Roy posts a 63 save shutout in a triple OT game to beat John Vanbiesbrouck (who also played out of his mind) and the Panthers 1-0.

Yeah the Avs were the better team, and yeah I expected them to win. Having said that, the Panthers pulled out all the stops and Patrick had to be perfect to beat them that night.

It took the Avs over 100 minutes to score one goal, but it was enough thanks to Saint Patrick.

Seriously? Do you have a source for that? I'd be shocked if that were true that it's happened only twice in the entire history of the NHL, but it is seriously impressive and I don't think people truly understand what an accomplishment it was.

No doubt Roy was legendary when it came to the SCF and seems to win the Cup on sheer will but that doesn't take away the fact that Lu has been the best goaltender this team has ever had, and has contributed to the successes of this team.

Mike Gillis has made a mockery of htis team. The on ice chats Lou would have with other teams players during warm-up was enough to say to me that Luongo may have gotten the stinky end of the stick by Gills, but, the rest of the leagues players know just how badly of a screw job Lou got.

No mid-upper tier player will play here unless:

a ) He is overpaid

b ) He has no other options that look better.

Vancouver is no longer one of those desired places to play.

A GM has to make hard decisions, but his actions have been seen all around the League and the lack of tact and skill by Gillis would not make me want to work under him in the slightest degree.

Mike Gillis has made a mockery of htis team. The on ice chats Lou would have with other teams players during warm-up was enough to say to me that Luongo may have gotten the stinky end of the stick by Gills, but, the rest of the leagues players know just how badly of a screw job Lou got.

a ) He is overpaid

A GM has to make hard decisions, but his actions have been seen all around the League and the lack of tact and skill by Gillis would not make me want to work under him in the slightest degree.

a ) He is overpaid

I respectfully disagree. Usually in the playoffs when a goaltender plays terribly, they lose the game. Also, you may want to point out that 8 of those goals came in one game. The other two games were much more reasonable scores. (Game #3 was a 3-2 win)

It wasn't the first 3 games that were the problem in that series, it was the last 2. Forget injuries/fatigue/whatever. Canucks had 2 chances to win the cup and blew it. I am not going to pin that on Luongo, but he wasn't exactly keeping them in it either.

Sorry but i can't seem to find it. I've Also heard it on team 1040 so im at least 90% sure that he was either the only goalie or one of two goalies to ever get 2 shutouts in the scf when his team scored only 1 goal.

That's as impressive of a stat as it gets imo.

I know Thomas got shutouts too ... but when they're 1-0 games its far more impressive

One of the biggest knock against him is that he isn't clutch and I 100% disagree with that. Ffs he has the record for most OT wins... and he hasn't even finished his career yet.

Archived