The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gary Roberts Calls Mike Gillis A 'moron' For Comments About Hodgson

yes we can nucks

Hodgson had become a very big part of our secondary offense.  It is impossible to say either way how much of a difference he would have made, but he would have made a difference. He could easily of been that guy who comes out of nowhere to score the big goal.

Who are you talking about? Cody's Dad? I have never heard him talk in my life.

I would not know him if I was in an elevator with him.

I do know what laywers offer up without rare exception.

You state there is no problems with what Gillis said,it was professional and so on.

Nothing could be further from the truth.He never addressed anything,he deflected the issue,protecting his position.

I expected nothing less from him but hockey fans know there is more than one side to every story and Gillis keeps commenting upon it so he will keep getting it back from all comers.

The best is yet to come.

Who else would I be talking about. You've been talking about your precious talking on the radio for 2 days now so you can get the other side of the story. You've already made up your mind about one side so you're obviously not going to be very objective. So you're fine hearing a politician with a motive to trash Gillis but you yourself are saying you already know what to expect from Gillis because he's a lawyer.

You're dislike for Gillis is fairly well known by anybody who bothers to pay attention to you. I guess with this you see your opportunity to attack and you're taking it...hypocrisy be damned.

BTW - Cody's stats with Buffalo have been heavily analyzed. Although he did eventually start producing offense, he was also on the ice for well over half of the Sabres' goals against - far more than what his line happened to generate.

That is the very definition of "liability".

This is what Gillis said about Kassian on the day of the trade:

Well, there's not much not to like," Gillis said. "He's 6-[foot-]4 and 225 [pounds] and just turned 21 a month ago, and he put up almost point-a-game numbers in the American league. For a player who is that physical, who can do that, it's a rare opportunity you get a chance to get players like that.

"There aren't many of them around in the league. He still has a ways to go to develop I think into his full potential, but he is an NHL player now who is going to help us in a lot of different ways. (Didn't say 'now' here.)"

Also, it is the norm for cdc to greatly over-rate or under-rate players, and this is the case with Kassian. Anyone who thinks he will be developed into a top six is nuts, we will be lucky if he is developed into a bottom six and we are now stuck with him, as they won't be able to admit to making a mistake.

It is not an issue of CoHo being traded. It is simply an issue of how and when and for what. Making a contending team weaker at the deadline is a cardinal sin. It doesn't count for anything that they traded for the future, as we have a window in which to win and being counterproductive is just plain stupid. They either should have made a 'win now' trade with CoHo, at the deadline, or they should have done something after the season.

Also, it is the norm for cdc to greatly over-rate or under-rate players, and this is the case with Kassian. Anyone who thinks he will be developed into a top six is nuts, we will be lucky if he is developed into a bottom six and we are now stuck with him, as they won't be able to admit to making a mistake.

So in a world where you're saying it's impossible to say how much of a difference he would make and you're also saying he would make a difference we can say that potentially the difference he would have made would have been negative? Perhaps he scores a few goals and perhaps he has a few defensive brain farts and causes a few more good scoring chances for the kings.

Bottom line is that your not wrong but 1 player isn't really going to make much of a difference and shouldn't be the pivot point on whether a team wins a series or loses a series.

This team didn't get weaker on February 28th it got weaker much earlier than that, right around January 8th in fact.  From January 8th until February 28th the powerplay went 7-for-56 (12.5%).  Hodgson had 1 powerplay goal during that span.

Were you also one of those buffoons that thought Kesler had "hands of stone", would "never score 20g in the NHL", would "never be more than a 3rd line grinder" and "Nonis should not have matched Clarke's offersheet"?

It is completely different logic. I do not care if management thought the kid was a pain in the butt and had to be traded, do it. I do not care if you think he could have been a defensive liability and should have been traded, go ahead and do it, no arguement.Last year, we had the big, quick, accurate shot of Ehrhoff on the point which was a huge part of our powerplay, up until he got injured. Yet, our second unit powerplay didn't do much of anything. So this year we are minus Ehrhoff, but we have a second playmaking center who can make the second unit powerplay work, so we trade one dimension for another, and we have a player who can chip in some additional goals even beyond the second unit pp.

So if your going to trade that player, go ahead, no arguement, but we are in a 'win now' situation, so go make a good 'win now' trade. The kid had loads of trade value, anyone saying otherwise is out of their skull, so make a good 'win now' trade and bring something to the team for the playoffs. It's that simple.

Archived