The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Which Of The Two Is More Valuable To A Team? Forwards Or Defensemen?

Real simple question,

Assuming you had to choose between an amazing forward or an amazing defense-man of equal skill from a draft, which of the two roles would you believe is more valuable to a well rounded team with equal offense and defense?

Also, is it harder to get a star defenseman (Shea Weber) from a draft as compared to a star forward (Ovechkin)?

I would take the foward. Offense in it's own way is defense. The best defense is puck control/possession. You can't get scored on while you are on the attack. If a group of forwards fail to maintain a steady attack they render those defenders useless if they are always back in the defensive zone.

So I would take the forward on the terms of nether offense or defense is impressive on this team.

I would take the foward. Offense in it's own way is defense. The best defense is puck control/possession. You can't get scored on while you are on the attack. If a group of forwards fail to maintain a steady attack they render those defenders useless if they are always back in the defensive zone.

So I would take the forward on the terms of nether offense or defense is impressive on this team.

Archived