The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Lightning trade for G Lindback of Preds

I'll just make this as simple as possible - they aren't paying Rinne 7 million or a 55 game season. They will also want to win, and no matter who they bring in as backup, that backup will not cost much and won't give them the chance to win that Rinne does. If they don't play Rinne 65-75 games I'll be shocked.

Grammar lessons aside, I think it's moot to discuss the future prospects of Lindback. He may or may not work out. Heck, people are even debating whether Schneider will work out if Lou is eventually traded.

The point is, Yzerman is taking a big chance. Don't forget, the Lightning came to within a game of being the Canucks' opponents in the Cup final a year ago. This year they missed the postseason altogether, thanks to lousy goaltending.

For Stevie Y to put his faith in a guy who played a dozen or so games last year is a huge gamble. Stamkos is elite and Hedman may be on his way, but Marty and Vinnie are getting on in age. Can T-Bay afford another year of "hoping for the best" between the pipes?

I have a hard time believing that they're truly out of the Luongo "sweepstakes", but if they are, I think Yzerman is playing with fire.

Grammar lessons aside, I think it's moot to discuss the future prospects of Lindback. He may or may not work out. Heck, people are even debating whether Schneider will work out if Lou is eventually traded.

The point is, Yzerman is taking a big chance. Don't forget, the Lightning came to within a game of being the Canucks' opponents in the Cup final a year ago. This year they missed the postseason altogether, thanks to lousy goaltending.

For Stevie Y to put his faith in a guy who played a dozen or so games last year is a huge gamble. Stamkos is elite and Hedman may be on his way, but Marty and Vinnie are getting on in age. Can T-Bay afford another year of "hoping for the best" between the pipes?

I have a hard time believing that they're truly out of the Luongo "sweepstakes", but if they are, I think Yzerman is playing with fire.

Archived