The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2012-13

canuck2xtreme

RFA extension: The Boston Bruins have re-signed pending RFA forward Derek Stepan to a three year deal.

Derek Stepan: 3 years, $ 10.8 million dollar contract ( $ 3,600,000.00 per season ).

RFA extension: The Florida Panthers have re-signed pending RFA defenseman David Rundblad to a three year deal.

David Rundblad: 3 year, $ 4.125 million dollar contract ( $ 1,375,000.00 per season ).

I don't know Jordan Staal's history with Dallas, sorry, but this raises a question from me in general, and not really to do with this particular signing: so using this as just an example: how are we doing the 8 year length thing? The NHL only allows it if the player was on a teams 'reserve' list prior to the most recent trade deadline..and I interpret that to mean the player didn't just get traded for mid season...but I want to know how we are doing it....if i have a player i brought in in say March, can i sign him to an 8 year deal? I think we know i can do it for players that were here all year....so clarification please, and again not picking on Dallas, its just the first 8 year deal i noticed.

From what I can find - as long as the player is a teams 'own player' (whether that is acquired at the deadline, earlier in the season, or an existing player) - the 8 year term limit is allowed.

If someone can find definitive proof otherwise - then let me know.

Lastly - Staal was acquired by Dallas in February.

This. If you have negotiating rights for the player right now, you can utilize the 8 year term. If you're talking to someone else in free agency, the 7 year term limit applies.

This. If you have negotiating rights for the player right now, you can utilize the 8 year term. If you're talking to someone else in free agency, the 7 year term limit applies.

From what I can find - as long as the player is a teams 'own player' (whether that is acquired at the deadline, earlier in the season, or an existing player) - the 8 year term limit is allowed.

If someone can find definitive proof otherwise - then let me know.

Lastly - Staal was acquired by Dallas in February.

How about if a players rights is acquired in mid-June, what is the max years?

7. Cutoff is end of the season (so far). So if you make a trade to acquire a player after the season ends, the 7 year term limit applies. If you added the player before the regular season ended (via trade or waiver claim late in the season) you can use the 8 year term this season.

I should note that the NHL rules in place say that in order for a team to utilize the 8 year term, the player must have played the full previous season with that club. That will be the rule for us beginning next season.

Hey guys, I'll be gone from tomorrow June 4th til June 14th as I will be going on a vacation to Hawaii :) I probably won't have internet access. All trade talks with Nashville will resume when the 14th comes around. Thanks guys.

Hey guys, I'll be gone from tomorrow June 4th til June 14th as I will be going on a vacation to Hawaii :) I probably won't have internet access. All trade talks with Nashville will resume when the 14th comes around. Thanks guys.

Archived