The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cory Schneider Signed! - 3 Years, $4 Million Cap Hit

Schneider is a better goaltender than Pavelec, that's why his cap hit is higher. Rask wouldn't be considered a #1 goalie since he hasn't even played over 30 games in the last couple of seasons. Rask and Schneider put up similar numbers, but Rask has had injury problems so that's why I'm assuming he gets paid a little bit less.

Schneider could have easily commanded more than his $4mil on the free agent market, and it's certainly possible someone would have offer sheeted him. I think Gillis got a fair deal.

Why just last 2 years? Rask's best season came in 09-10 so far. Is that why you want to exclude that year?

If you compare just numbers there really isn't a big difference between the two players. Certainly not enough to warrant more money.

Rask played 98 games in the last 3 seasons:

09-10 45GP

10-11 29GP

11-12 23GP

Schneider played 33 games last year, 25 games in 10-11 season and only 2 games in 09-10. Schneider wouldn't have been able to command 4M easily either because he's not worth more than that and also he's an RFA.

I know people are jerking off just by looking at Schneider these days but what you're saying is just not true.

This is a good move by Gillis.

The deal hasn't been finalized, and likely won't be until Luongo is moved, but this takes away the risk of an RFA offer sheet.

Unless Schneider would go back on his word.

While I believe everyone would have liked a lower cap hit, or longer term, Gillis had little leverage here. The deal is solid on all sides and is really only a slight overpayment. And that overpayment could become an deal as early as mid season.

Why just last 2 years? Rask's best season came in 09-10 so far. Is that why you want to exclude that year?

If you compare just numbers there really isn't a big difference between the two players. Certainly not enough to warrant more money.

So the first time we played Boston since getting eliminated by them was a no-pressure game? And what about when we were on the verge of getting swept/eliminated in the playoffs this year, I guess those were no-pressure games as well? The fact is Schneider has played high pressure games and I haven't seen anything to indicate his play drops off in such games. In fact the numbers he put up are amazingly good in them, even better than Luongo who was playing in front of the same 2-time president's trophy team...

Then I guess you certainly know more about his value than Gillis does and our team got ripped off! Good thing you're here to set us all straight, I just wish Gillis was here too so you could teach him a lesson.

Rask's new contract eats up one RFA year, while Schneider's is one RFA year, and two UFA years. Big difference.

A better comparison, if you wanted to bitch about Schneider's contract terms would have been Pavelec. Then again, if you look at Pavelec's UFA salary (his last three years), it's a 4.25M average over three.

Hmm, did I bitch about his contract? Such strong words. I guess it's not the right time to be critical about Schneider on CDC these days. My bad.

All I'm saying is that he's still not played enough to warrant 4M a season at this point. There are more than just a player's value when signing a contract though, so I understand paying more was inevitable.

I know this is typical of a Canucks fan but now that Luongo basically has one foot out the door, I'm starting to freak out a bit. Watching some of these tribute videos that people have put together makes me realize how much he's been through with this Canucks organization. From the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. Hard to picture him tending goal anywhere but here.

Here's what I find encouraging about this signing. No one knew that MG and Schneider's camp had been working out on a deal. Many speculated that it wouldn't get done until Luongo was moved.

Once again our management team manages to work in ways to keep the media out of the spotlight. This is a huge benefit to have in my opinion.

Archived