The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[SIGNING] Cory Schneider Signed! - 3 Years, $4 Million Cap Hit

MG said we'll be happy, well I for one am not happy about this. 4 mil is too much for a guy that's never played a full season.

Worst of all, it looks as if Lu will be traded now, which would screw this team over pretty badly. You can mark my words on that.

Being a goaltender in Vancouver deserves a higher paycheck with the amount of scrutiny they go through.

If Schneider can just shrug off the dumb media clowns in this town, that alone deserves 4 million a year.

Obviously that was something Luongo couldn't deal with very well. Caring too much may have been his downfall.

4 million is reasonable - fair market value - people expecting Gillis to lowball Schneider don't understand the importance of the young player, of maintaining a good relationship, or what comparable players are making. Schneider (if this deal is done) has given up the opportunity to have an offer sheet potentially drive his value higher - it was a very reasonable fair compromise on both sides. I am ecstatic but not surprised that they managed to work it out.

I would pick Cory any day over Lou, but I thought we would get him for 3.5 max. It's a little over what I thought but I like the fact it's 3 years and not 5 or six. If he is great in the next 3 I would be happy to pay market value for him again.

$4 million isn't enough to be the main whipping boy in this town. That honour usually goes to the highest-player on the team.

imo If Ehrhoff had the season he just had here, he very well would've been this seasons' whipping boy. But such as it is, Luongo is still the highest-paid Canuck. When he leaves, guess what... We're back our Swedish Captain being the main whipping boy. Woooo-Hooo!

"Luongo, er, the Sedins will nevar get it done in the playoofs! Durrpff!"

A little more money and a little shorter term than I was hoping for, but still a fair contract. I'm just happy we got him signed.

If Luongo is traded (which he probably will be), I'd like to thank him for the hundreds of times he saved our asses over his years here, and hope he has good luck with his new team. He's still one of the better goalies in the league, but it's time to pass the torch.

THIS IS SWAG.

With the cap at $70 million, we can easily afford to keep both of these goalies and still upgrade our team where its needed through trade or another strategic UFA signing. Even if we just keep it together until the trade deadline, with Toronto running out of options, they'll actually be willing to make a real deal for Luo by then.

The other option is, with 3 years on Schnieder's contract and another 2/3's of a season under his belt, his trade value will be in the stratosphere and he could be traded for maximum swag return.

Luongo - can't play in the afternoon, chokes in the Wild, Blackhawks and Boston arenas. Has taken periods of time off during the season to see his wife in Florida, which after 6 years refuses to move to Vancouver. Has a horrendous shootout record and has cataclysmal chokes in the playoffs. Luongo has also patented the flop move, which enables him to go from a 6 foot goalie to a 1 foot goalie instantaniously.

Schneider - 26, plays whenever, no wife or family to worry about and has yet to show a flaw in his game. He has a degree and is extremely intelligent and mature.

I'll take Schneider anyday.

Being a goaltender in Vancouver deserves a higher paycheck with the amount of scrutiny they go through.

If Schneider can just shrug off the dumb media clowns in this town, that alone deserves 4 million a year.

Obviously that was something Luongo couldn't deal with very well. Caring too much may have been his downfall.

Archived