The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Loungo gets traded, who backs up Schneider?

Blood Fiend

How did Lack do last year in the AHL? I thought I recalled Gillis saying that he isn't quite NHL ready yet but don't quote me on that.

We might have to get someone cheap via free agency.

Apparently Dan Cloutier was working with the goalies at Prospects Camp today. Road to a comeback? :lol:

The Canadian Press

If a Luongo trade does come to pass, farmhand Eddie Lack will get a chance to make the Canucks in training camp.

"Eddie Lack is ready to compete for a spot, and we're going to give him that opportunity," said Gillis.

The GM will also explore the possibility of acquiring a veteran NHL backup.

"Now, we have all of our options ahead of us, and we'll flush them all out," said Gillis, who expects the trade market to heat up in August

Anyone who starts a game is a 'starter'  Cory 'started' about 30 last year.  He is NOT a rookie - this is his third season.  Between the veteran, Luongo, and the 'rookie' Schneider - there is no doubt who was 'steadier' - and it wasn't the vet.  Luongo is all the proof one needs that having a vet does not equate to steadiness - streaky or mercurial would be far more apt terms.

As for if there is still a trade with Florida that might include Theodore coming back, what you suggest is not unreasonable due to the fact that Lack lacks NHL experience - but there is only one way for him to get it - he has to play here.  So far, he has done well at every other level including NHL pre-seaon - he just hasn't played here yet.

Unless he makes significant improvement, I'd imagine (and hope) Lack stays in the AHL.

It'll be better for his development. I'd like to see him handle the bulk of starts, rather than split duty.

I remember a number of years ago, people automatically assumed Schneids was ready to be a back-up, even

though it turned out he needed an extra year.

With the right development, I reckon he has the tools necessary to become a starter.

Possibly challenging Schneids several years down.

Assuming Lu is moved, I'd like to see a veteran UFA as a backup.

Archived