The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What is your favourite ROCK song from the 1980s?

NewSedinTwin

I wouldn't say they it is inherently worse today than it was in the 80's. In fact, I would even add that the present generation of musicians have the benefit of past influences to build upon. However, the same old sounds, styles and concepts become pretty played out by the time 2012 rolls around.

I feel like I have a new musical soul mate, Heretic!

Ozzy and Motorhead was my first ever concert in Grade 8. I went to Point Grey which is right next door to the Kerrisdale Arena... Grew up on Blenheim Street between 37th and 38th... Went to Kerrisdale Elementary.

My second concert was Split Enz and Nash the Slash at Kerrisdale. My next show was my first big one... The Police at the Pacific Coliseum on the Zenyatta Mondatta tour. My buddy Dave and I were scared crapless to fry a fatty because we thought we would get busted. We never did smoke it in the building... We hooted it outside afterwards while we were waiting to be picked up by Dave's brother Gary for a lift home.

:towel::canucks:

Madonna's song "Like a Virgin", if not a good sounding song in your opinion, is at the very least iconic. It was Madonna's big breakthrough hit that made her a huge cultural icon to this very day, and has influenced many other popular artists since. (Can you say 'Gaga'?)

...So?

Madonna's "Like a Virgin" was her dressed up like a Cyndi Lauper and Marilyn Monroe hybrid. The hybrid came out of it because Madonna was recently hit with criticism (and probably two or three lawsuits) for "copying" Lauper's style and vocal delivery (watch the video for "Lucky Star"). Madonna's shift to being a Monroe clone is even more evident in the "Material Girl" video which followed Virgin, and it's somehow even less original, as it's basically a shot-for-shot nod to famous scenes from Diamonds Are a Girls Best Friend.

Point being, Madonna doesn't have a creative bone in her body, unless you count the ones attached to the middle aged white men with whom she famously slept on her way to the top.

That said, philosophically and theatrically, Gaga is obviously influenced by Madonna, but musically the only thing they have in common is a vague "pop sound." And let's not pretend that Madonna was the first of her kind, either. She was just the most popular of her kind, so she's given credit where it may not be due.

Just curious, but I wonder how many people who decry the current state of music were tuned into the more serious music of previous eras back when it was being made. For example I was, and still am, a fan of the older Metallica, Iron Maiden and AC/DC stuff, but was totally blind to anything SRV did when it was coming out. Both have aged well, but there is no argument that any of the former are better musicians SRV was. The better musician part is also true for most of the bands you would find on an 80's, 90's or current top ten list.

This is kind of off topic, and irrelevent, but...

I think the makers from Grand Theft Auto: Vice City put it best. On one of their created 80's rock stations (VROCK) in the game they had a script that went like this:

Lazlow: Alright! It's Lazlow on V Rock! Let's go to the V-phones! Hello

it's your big day; you're on live with Lazlow!

Mitch Baker: Hey son! Who is this?

Lazlow: Uhh... It's Lazlow! A. k. a. DJ hard rocker!

Mitch Baker: I'm glad to hear it, but I thought this was a rock station

son! And all I'm hearing is girl's music! What're you doin? You got

personal problems you sort 'em out son! But don't drag the rest of us

down with ya, you hear?

Lazlow: Now-now hold on pal! I'm playing the best music in Vice City!

Mitch Baker: No! You hold on son! This is Mitch Baker here! Big Mitch

Baker! You play something hard real soon or I'm gonna come by the

station and shove that sissy soft rock crap so far down your throat,

you'll be crappin hair bands till Christmas! You hear??

Lazlow: Uh...Ok!

Mitch Baker: Cause I didn't fight, and maim and kill for this damn

country, so I can hear grown men abusing the uniform of long hair and

leather with this damn awful wailing! I wanna rock! Now good day sir.

Archived