The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Message to ALL Canuck Fans.

The Architect

Totally agree. It is not overpaying if it takes us to the next level. If that is what it takes to get the size and quality that will make a difference then there is no point in standing pat, saying "he's overpriced" and watching another season drain away............you have to buy the lottery ticket.............

Gillis has a bit of a crusader complex and combines it with a mother Teresa complex.............all very admirable...........but doesn't always get you what you deserve. We need to stop looking for bargains, stop trying to give players a chance to rehabilitate their careers here, stop trying to discover hidden gems and just occasionally abandon e-bay to shop at Dunhills.

This market needs a gee up! It will not be sufficient to just bring in one top player we need to bring in 3 imo. Gillis himself says the cap is not a problem.............so it's now showtime Mike show us what you've got under the hood...........and no more "future projects" or "bargain basement rolls of the dice"

Success in this league has nothing to do with how a team looks on paper. Nothing. Look at teams that win the SC, first thing you need to realize is only 1 team can win it, that means 15 others won't. That does not mean 15 other teams are not good teams. It does not mean those teams should throw the baby and the bath out the window on stupid and impulsive moves. Canucks, as much as I hate to repeat, were 1 game from winning the cup in 2011. The 8th place Kings just won it. They didn't 'look like a team that would go all the way' nor does that illusion mean squat. Stop it for god's sake let them do their jobs and shut up.

One good play can make the difference between success and failure. One bad play can make the difference between cup or no cup. To make these kinds of moves when the success is based on such trivial happenstances such as timing more often than anything else is ludicrous. If you got lucky and found 5$ on the ground on monday would you then expect to find 5$ on the ground every day? If a plane crash happens and the cause is determined to be a bird strike, and the bird ate food from grandma's bird feeder, is grandma responsible for 200 deaths? Are you going to attribute our team among 14 others to be knocked out, should make drastic moves based on sharing the same fate with all but 1 team? You do realize those other teams are also feeling insecure and the net gain made by anyone on average, given ALL TEAMS are panicking on July 1, is going to be 0 right..?

Personally, i don't think anyone should be able to say something like "PLAYERS ARE PEOPLE WITH FAMILIES, AND WHEN U TRADE THEM THEY CRY" etc

who cares? this is the life they chose, and they're making millions of dollars a year. they can deal with being traded, making that kind of money.

The veteran fans of 25 plus years do not need to have a message to know how to react to Canuck events (signings, trades). It's the generation now fans that have jumped on board while the team has been successful that needs to learn how to support and react. A lot of generation now fans have no idea what it's like for us to have to go on a 17-5-2 run after Christmas to make the play-offs, they take play-offs for granted. It's easy to be a fan when the team is winning, a true fan is there when they are losing. My union card has 30 years on it with no sign of retiring it.

I actually expect more moves coming through trades in the off season then fee agents signings. A , P-A Parenteau, Jamie Lagenbrunner and maybe a d-man for a reasonable price might fit well with our club.

Didn't you just finish telling people they were loopy for wanting a free agent signing in that other thread, then in another you asked for doan and santa claus and some other character, and then plugged Pinizzottooto in your lineup, then asked for a GM job?

3 players is simply not enough! We need to replace the whole team! No less than 8 free agent signings will be sufficient!

Its useless, CDC will implode if we don't sign Parise, Suter, or Garrison (which is very likely, at least I hope so)

Anyone that criticizes the organization, especially the first few days of UFA, needs to be ignored. There is a reason the off-season is 3 months in length. Ample time for teams to make any changes deemed necessary.

It takes time to get assets at the right price. It would be a poor business plan to overpay players long-term based on limited data.

That being said, I have absolute faith in MG. He has not grossly overpaid any player on our team that will cripple us in the near future (Don't say Luongo, he is a bargain for his skill set)

Hey always Positive..Go canaucks Go. But you must give leeway for some grumbling after the Cody trade and how Lou been handled starting right from benching for game 3 to today....MG seems to have lost some common sense timing wise. Positive about my Canucks always..but as a fan GM doing funky things is going to get some complaining and I am not going to get excitied about today..MG isnt a big july 1 type of person....its filler day for him

Part of the trouble is we are looking less and less like the type of team that ACTUALLY goes all the way.

I think there is more than one factor for this, including injuries and size. However we are starting to fail as a team unit in my opinion which was part of our strength.

We seemed to get it into our heads that we had 12 first/second liners and we could permeate them all over the place. Similarly the musical chairs played with the defence. It was crap and unsettled us.

We started to pick and choose where we felt we needed to win and that is not what creates a winning mentality. If that is a tactic it should be a means of resting players and bringing on prospects..........but that's not how we played it. We went out and fanny-ed about until the other team finally scored.........then we tried to put in an effort.

We don't have a team that can impose physically and our first and second lines were too erratic with too little coming from the 3rd and 4th lines..................Meanwhile AV and his coaches went into jackanory mode with the defence.

So NO, Hansen is nowhere near the answer and YES, we need some big moves. And we need to play some proper studied rotation and rest through the season to make sure we arrive fit and ready for the SC.

One more thing, I am not a fan of allowing the core to run the direction, tactics or anything else in the team and if that IS indeed how AV is coaching, then what are we paying him for? I have supported AV throughout but I think the time has come, assuming MG gives him some of the missing pieces, that he starts coming up with some joined up tactics and strategies in order to create a dominating type of team, mind set.

Yeah, the team has done all it can do and more especially with AV and Gillis running things.They have maxed out and actually depleted any enthusiasm the team or most fans had.We need change and it should have started with firing Gillis and AV.

Archived