The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nash - Van Targeting Weber

Firstly this isn't the end all be all to what I think is fair or not. Mainly the few pieces I think would be part of a Weber to Vancouver deal:

To Nashville

Ballard

Tanev

Jensen or Schroeder or Sauve

First 2013

First 2014

To Vancouver

Weber

Nashville needs to recuperate their defense, Ballard although has been a bottom 6 player on our team, may find a home with the defensive super giant Nashville Predators.

I know what your thinking oh Ballard gets tossed in the trade again, but personally I think Edler and Weber is the pairing we'd try to get. That and Edler is a UFA next year so they'd potentially lose him to the open market. Edler owes Nashville nothing.

Tanev is a young dependable defenseman who can play in the NHL for the full season and will only get better with the preds.

One of Jensen / Schroeder / Sauve to add a prospect to their pool, depending what they want (would like to try and keep Jensen, and I like Schroeder but what can you do)

Then two First rounders, although most likely low picks but they are still firsts and that can't be discounted.

Two reasons why we go after Weber now.

1) New CBA, we can sign him to a long term deal and potentially get him at a lower cap hit

2) We have the cap space for him and a potential top 6 forward (hopefully Doan).

our defense:

Edler - Weber

Hamhuis - Bieksa

Alberts - Garrison

we can round out the rest with depth signings or trades.

Also Luongo is still free to be moved to another team to refill the prospect pool.

So what you guys think? Underpayment for Weber or is it viable? or is it all just a Pipe Dream?

If you want, say what you think would have to go the other way to get Weber out of Nashville.

or What depth signings would you like to get for the 6th/7th/8th defensemen? (my option for the 6th would be a Cody Franson trade from Toronto)

It's not enough.

If NAS really puts him up for offer, they could essentially ask for anyone in the league in return, short of maybe 20 players. They'll probably be looking for players who are signed to long-term, reasonable deals, of which Keith Ballard is not.

I wouldn't assume that NAS wants to stockpile picks, either. They've already got a glut of prospects, and are probably more interested in being competitive now (as evidenced by the Gaustad & Gill extensions).

There is no point to anyone offering a core player to Nashville unless Weber agrees to re sign with that team.

A straight up rental is worth a first round pick and a mid level prospect. To us anyways. But I am thinking Weber is going to come down with a mystery illness a week or two before the deadline.

I think they are still trying to sign him but he is not budging.

You know, if we did in fact sign Doan, and Kesler was the only thing stopping picking up Weber...I think I would do it. We know which Doan and Weber show up at games. I hate to say it, but Kes is a coin toss. He's either in beast mode or beeotch mode, and I really didn't like seeing the beeotch side come to 'play' against LA early on. There's a reason all those internet memes exist of him blowing around in the wind. I love him when he's on track, who doesn't? BUT it's an embarrassment to the team when the antics come out.

With that being said, he was a one man army vs Nashville in the previous playoff run, and their management took note in a big way.

I guess the question becomes...would you give up Kesler in a move for Weber if we had Doan on board? Is there anything that might come back moving Lu to address that possibility? Prospect to fill Kes's spot in the future?

I know, a million if's, and's, or but's dollar and term wise, but I think it's a viable option, and one that come into play before Kes's NMC kicks in.

Thoughts?

*edit: of course scenario subject to players signing longer term deal

Nashville needs top four d-men as they've lost Suter and received nothing in return.

They won't let that happen with Weber, no way, no how.

If Weber wants out then they're down 2 d-men now and Weber will be traded well before he becomes a UFA.

Any deal for Weber and you know Nashville will want our #1 d-man Edler for starters.

I can't see them trading Weber and not getting a top d-man back.

I think Edler and Ballard to start (the 2 d-man they need to replace), a top prospect and a couple 1st rounders.

I'm not sure that would be enough?

Lmao, not nearly enough. You are not going to get the best dman in the nhl for your scraps. If I was Poile i'd ask for Kesler + Edler , because Vancouver is a rival, and it's a guarantee that he's going to sign here.

You know, if we did in fact sign Doan, and Kesler was the only thing stopping picking up Weber...I think I would do it. We know which Doan and Weber show up at games. I hate to say it, but Kes is a coin toss. He's either in beast mode or beeotch mode, and I really didn't like seeing the beeotch side come to 'play' against LA early on. There's a reason all those internet memes exist of him blowing around in the wind. I love him when he's on track, who doesn't? BUT it's an embarrassment to the team when the antics come out.

With that being said, he was a one man army vs Nashville in the previous playoff run, and their management took note in a big way.

I guess the question becomes...would you give up Kesler in a move for Weber if we had Doan on board? Is there anything that might come back moving Lu to address that possibility? Prospect to fill Kes's spot in the future?

I know, a million if's, and's, or but's dollar and term wise, but I think it's a viable option, and one that come into play before Kes's NMC kicks in.

Thoughts?

*edit: of course scenario subject to players signing longer term deal

If Vancouver does not have the required pieces for a direct NAS-VAN trade, perhaps turning Luongo into Weber could be an alternative...

FLA

Luongo

VAN

Weber

NAS

Pieces from both VAN and FLA

I certainly hope not look at our depth at centre no way we trade kesler even if we sign doan who is an aging winger at the end of his career. Our major downfall the past 2 years has been scoring in the playoffs..getting rid of kesler and signing doan will not address that problem. i would not do that deal

If Weber only costs Kesler and Edler, I'm definitely for it.

VAN

Weber

NAS

Kesler

Edler

---------------

VAN

Lecavalier

TBL

Luongo

--------------

Sign Doan

Sign Turco

D. SEDIN - H. SEDIN - BURROWS

BOOTH - LECAVALIER - DOAN

HIGGINS - LAPIERRE - HANSEN

VOLPATTI - MALHOLTRA - PINIZZOTTO

GARRISSON - WEBER

HAMHUIS - BIEKSA

TANEV - BALLARD

SCHNEIDER

TURCO

If Weber only costs Kesler and Edler, I'm definitely for it.

VAN

Weber

NAS

Kesler

Edler

---------------

VAN

Lecavalier

TBL

Luongo

--------------

Sign Doan