The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Muslim and Jewish groups denounce German circumcision ruling

Here's another question then.

If time travel was possible (yes, here I go again on another tangent), would you go back in time to prevent something negative that happened to one of your children?

What if you could see the future? Would you do something today that you saw in the future that if not done would cause your child pain or worse death?

Okay, that was 2 questions...

As I said - my reasoning (30 years ago) was not religious.

Medical community (from one of my links above):

"In any case, circumcision is not considered essential to a boy's health. The AAP and the American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) do not endorse the procedure as a way to prevent any of the medical conditions mentioned previously. The AAP also does not find sufficient evidence to medically recommend circumcision or argue against it."

Seems they are on the fence.

What about smoking?

From AAP:

"Tobacco Use and Secondhand Smoke

Forty percent of US nonsmoking adults and nearly 54% of children are exposed to secondhand tobacco smoke (SHS). These children are at increased risk of multiple serious health effects. Exposed children have increased risk of asthma, respiratory infections, decreased lung growth and exercise tolerance, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Smoking by parents or primary caregivers in the home is the primary source of exposure for children below school age, and exposure is worse for younger children, since they spend more time in close proximity to parents, and have still-developing lungs. Parental smoking results in substantial annual direct medical expenditures, and increases the chance that chidlren will become smokers. SHS also more disproportionately affects low-income and minority children and families. "

As you see, that's way more dangerous (IMHO) and abusive of children then circumcision (not I'm using that to justify - I just want to know from all those with strong opinions against circumcision are just as strong against smoking).

If time travel was possible (yes, here I go again on another tangent), would you go back in time to prevent something negative that happened to one of your children?

What if you could see the future? Would you do something today that you saw in the future that if not done would cause your child pain or worse death?

There goes blood transfusions, stem cell research all blown out the window cuz if God wanted it it would already be provided.

There goes breast implants , birth control, oh well I guess I could list 156,432,342 other things too.

There are no medically necessary reasons, outside of special circumstances, that require circumcision. It's not medically necessary for the health of a male human being, at birth or through life.

I feel like I speak for all uncut men here hockeyville88 just leave us alone!. When we are baby's we can't defend ourselves!

Our male foreskin is ultra-important and ABSOLUTELY required to have a happy life!

If you were an uncut man you would understand how important it is to HAVE!

Here's some more questions.

If circumcision is indeed "child abuse" then why isn't it illegal?

If you are against circumcision but for abortion, why?

If the medical community is against it, then why are they still doing it? (other than for money)

If God wanted us to believe he was real and wanted us to circumcise all children, he would have left us a concise and clear irrefutable universally available evidence for everyone, and not just to bronze age tribal goat-herders for them both.

Guess we shouldn't bother with either then...right?

Try reading what you link....along with the post that I made to which you've respoded to.

/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=10779863">snapback.pngSharpshooter, on 12 July 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

There are no medically necessary reasons, outside of special circumstances, that require circumcision. It's not medically necessary for the health of a male human being, at birth or through life.

And from your own link:

Circumcision is only done for recurrent and troublesome cases

Prevention of disease is the second most commonly given reason for circumcision after religious reasons, although the evidence that it has any beneficial effect on future health is very poor.

The practice is, more likely, rooted in cultural traditions, although western societies may find this an uncomfortable conclusion.

-

Therefore, routine circumcision cannot be recommended to prevent penile cancer.

- Yeast infection (caused by candida or

thrush

) is equally common in circumcised and uncircumcised men, although circumcised men are less likely to have symptoms with this infection so they are more likely to unknowingly pass on thrush to their sexual partners.

- Far more effective and reliable methods than circumcision exist to reduce the risk of contracting sexually transmitted diseases, such as the use of condoms and adoption of safer sexual practices. Thus circumcision cannot be recommended to prevent these infections.

- The existing evidence is inadequate to recommend circumcision as an HIV-preventive measure in the UK.

- The evidence is inadequate to recommend it as a preventive measure against cervical cancer.

- A UTI is not usually a great risk to health, so it does not seem reasonable to perform a surgical procedure on 100 infants to reduce the risk of one developing UTI.

Here's some more questions.

If circumcision is indeed "child abuse" then why isn't it illegal?

If you are against circumcision but for abortion, why?

If the medical community is against it, then why are they still doing it? (other than for money)

Archived