The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Next year's UFA's (13F, 2D)

mysticriver

I definitely wouldn't pay Lapierre $2.5 mil a season!

Malholtra will be gone, good guy but let's not be sentimental here.

I'd offer Burrows $4 mil for 4 years.

Edlers a difficult one, he could get $6 mil on the open market but if it came down to it I'd rather chuck another $1.5 a season and get Weber.

Edler and burrows are must keeps! ESPECIALLY EDLER!!! He is going to become elite, he is Underated and it would be a HUGE mistake to let Edler go. Burrows is due for a raise, but he will definitely take a hometown discount.

Lapierre is a player of untapped potential. But I'll go with $1.5 M for him

Malholtra was excellent for the Canucks before the horrible eye injury. Believe me I would prefer him to retire if he can't play up to snuff. At least give him some dignity.

Burrows should at least get $4 M

FULL agreement on the Edler issue. If we can sign him than trade for Weber, I'm all in for that.

We would have around $19 million in cap space as of now (once those deals all end), dealing Lu will give us probably another $1mil or so to work with (however it completely depends who we get back). And indications point to the cap rising another couple million.

So barring any drastic changes to the line-up...

Raymond- Seeya MayRay (if he has a bit of a bounce back season, trade him while his value is higher).

Malhotra- I'd take him back on a 1-2 year deal, around $1.5mil per.

Ebbett- I'd offer him a short term, under $1mil, 2-way contract. He will most likely be gone however.

Volpatti- Same as Ebbett, except he would probably be back.

Burrows- Longer term (3-5 years), at a cap hit around $3.5 per.

Higgins- 2 or 3 years, $2.5mil-$3mil per.

Lapierre-2 years, about $1.5 mil per.

So thats about $11mil on our forwards.

Edler- Try to keep him long term, front loaded. 8 years, cap hit around $5mil-$5.5mil per.

Alberts- Probably let him go.

Tanev (RFA)- Sign him 2 years (so he will be an RFA when his deal ends), at around $1.5-$2mil per (depending on his performance this year)

So thats another $7.5 mil on our D.

With the Sedins (who I doubt will cost any more than they do now) Kassian, and Hansen being our only players who will need a deal the following season, we would be able to keep them on reasonably easy.

My question is, At what point does the cap get so high that the Canucks can't spend to it? I think right now with the Cap being at 70 mil, it would be the most the Canucks have ever spent on a full roster of players. Is it me or are the Canucks still not in a large enough market to spend with the Bigger NHL markets like Toronto, Philly, New York, L.A, Ect....... I think with the cap being where it is now is hurting Vancouvers chances of keeping Star players from signing else where. I can see how they managed to keep the players they have now, but now the bigger market teams are free to do as they wish once again, just look at the stupid contracts handed out by Minnesota as an example. I know the Aquilini's have deep pockets, but I don't think they're in the same league as the heavy weights. Im sure most of you know how much it cost's to attend Canuck games, but how much more can Vancouvers fans keep paying without saying enough is enough?

My wish in the off season is for the CBA to do away with long term contracts and cap the contracts aswell. If not, then guys like Edler can be over paid by Detroit and Burrows just as easily by Montreal.

All of those players can actually be replaced.

If we sign Doan, he is Burrows' replacement more or less.

If we sign Weber, he is Edler's replacement.

Jensen is a replacement (and upgrade) over Raymond.

Gaunce/Schroeder can replace Lapierre by then.

Pinizotto will replace Volpatti (if need be).

I would say to sign Burrows to 3.5-4 million, 2 years (as he's getting older and past his peak).

Sign Edler to a 5.5-6 million dollar, long term deal.

Sign Higgins to a 3 year, 3 million dollar per deal (good price for a 20 goal, 50 point scorer)

Sign Lapierre to a 2 year, 1.5 million dollar per deal (depending on how he plays as a 3rd line center next season)

Let Malhotra walk (too old)

Let Raymond walk (if he doesn't score 20 goals)

Bring in Gaunce and Jensen to replace Malhotra and Raymond.

Sign another depth center (or re-sign Ebbett)

Im okay with Raymond, Malhotra, Ebbett, and Volpatti gone.

However, Ebbett & Volpatti will most likely sign a 2 way contract under $1 million.

Burrows is going to want a lot more money & I trust that Edler is going to stay with us for a reasonable price.

I honestly never really cared for Lapierre, so I'm okay with him leaving too. Higgins, I don't want him to leave, but if he does, it really opens up a space for a top 6 forward to play with Kesler.

Burrows: 3 years/$3.75 mill.

Edler: 4 years/$4.5 mill.

Higgins: 2 years/$2.5 mill.

Lapierre: 2 years/$1.5 mill.

Malhotra: 1 year/$1.9 mill.

Raymond: trade

Well I think it's clear who we are signing for sure. Burr, Higgy, Hansen, Edler.

Lappy - I hope he signs, but would depend on his asking price. On the fence, since he is kinda replaceable.

Malhotra - should take a paycut. An extra 4th line centre, we don't "really" need, but I see his ties to the city and the organization.

Ebbett - I think this guy performs this year. Ultimately, if he has a good year, he's a very good cheap depth forward. Hope he signs, but replaceable as well.

Raymond - I think he will earn his paycheck this year. Having said that, he will likely get overpaid to play somewhere else next season. Overpaid as in we won't be willing to pay whatever he's getting.

Alberts - See ya.

Volpatti - Also replaceable.

Edler - Will take a little bit less and probably sign for ~5M - 5-6 years. (assuming 70M cap doesn't go down).

Burrows - 3.5 - 4M for 3-4 years.

Higgins - ~3M for 3-4 years.

Hansen - ~2M for 2-3 years.

Archived