The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nashville Match and Trade

TGokou

Alright so I'm aware that after matching Philly's contract offer they can't trade Weber for one year. Since he's making 26 million in the first year due to a 13 million dollar signing bonus, there's almost no chance he will be traded after the first year.

However, I am not entirely familiar with trade rules. I know in the past teams would trade money the other way, so my question is, can a team currently trade assets AND money to Nashville in order to soften the blow of the 26 million in the first year?

Example:

To Nashville: 3 1st rounders, Ryan Kesler + etc. + 20 million

To Vancouver: Weber

This situation would obviously be better than letting Philly get him for 4 1st rounders and would allow Nashville to escape from having to pay that massive 1st year deal. Any insight?

It's not really buying the player. It's compensation for holding on to them for one year. The example trade I made offered 3 1st rounders, Kesler + whatever other player needed. The 20 million given to Nashville is only meant to dull the 26 million 1st year salary. In essence, Nashville pays 6 million for one year of service and then he is traded for the package.

Archived