The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler comparable to Enstrom - Eklund

TheCammer

Honestly, I never thought Edler would be amazing just a good, solid player. Then AV started putting him in shootouts towards the end of last season and I thought "Holy crap!". He'd just stroll up to the goalie with the puck and boom, it was in without even grazing a pad. Points come a lot more easily to a guy slapping from the blueline on the PP AND able to beat a goalie 1 on 1 with a quick wrist. I don't see Enstrom doing this, and he's certainly not got the same weight the throw around.

I don't consider myself a complete Canucks' homer and I feel many of the Canucks fanbase over value many of our players (we also under value many as well - Lui) but the article by Eklund today estimating that Edler is comparable to Enstrom seems off-base.

http://www.hockeybuz...r-Worth/1/45838

I don't think Edler is a Norris candidate or ever will be but I can see him being a perennial all-star. Enstrom is good steady offensive defenseman but I think he may have peaked. Maybe i haven't seen him play enough.

Thoughts?

I've watched countless Canucks games over the last 10 years, and every Jets home game in person (except for the home opener and the New Years Eve game against the Leafs, too much money to be had).

That being said, they are two completely different players. Edler is bigger, hits more, and has a harder shot. Enstrom is smarter defensively and is a brilliant passer. I absolutely love Edler and always have. But as a Jets fan, I would rather have the more defensively responsible Enstrom. Puts up roughly the same amount of points and don't have to worry about him having a mental lapse in judgement. Edler is still young and that part of his game can still change. As of right now, though, Enstrom.

Now that said, Edler cap will probably be around the $5.5 million range. I'm sure he loves it in Vancouver. However, the 'hometown discount' that Bieksa and Garrison took wasn't that much lower than what they would get on the open market. If Edler puts up another 45-55 points next season, the Canucks will have to give him $5.5 to keep him; as he's easily worth $6 million on the open market.

Reasons why Enstrom deserves more $$$ than Edler

- Enstrom managed 50+ pts without having offensive talent like the sedins/kesler on their team.

- City wise, Vancouver is generally considered more favourable

- Vancouver is generally considered more competitive than Winnipeg

I wouldn't give Edler more than Kesler.

I'd say 4.85 x 6 yrs. Maybe 7 yrs?

Archived