The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Atheism On The Rise In America

Sharpshooter

This is why many people have a problem with Christians actually. Spreading the word of god is fundamental to so many of them, and in places lke the Bible belt it can be very dangerous to reject it. This is where lots of resentment comes from.

Furthermore:

http://theweek.com/a...eism-in-america

Sure we are a bit lippy, but American Christians seem to have a "witchhunt" mentality towards us and are responsible for the lions share of the enmity.

John Lennon guaranteed that Christianity would eventually wither and die. He wasn't so sure if Rock 'n Roll would live longer, but while neither are truly dead yet, i see Rock 'n Roll fading faster than Christianity. Unless you brand Hip-Hop as the new Rock 'n Roll.

Fear.

Amp up the fear, and you'll see religiousness rise. Because when you're all alone in the dark with a nightmare all around you, who are you going to turn to?

At the moment America doesn't have much to be afraid of. It's made them grow more anti-religious and, well just plain up lazy. (Not that i'm implying atheists are lazy.)

John Lennon guaranteed that Christianity would eventually wither and die. He wasn't so sure if Rock 'n Roll would live longer, but while neither are truly dead yet, i see Rock 'n Roll fading faster than Christianity. Unless you brand Hip-Hop as the new Rock 'n Roll.

Fear.

Amp up the fear, and you'll see religiousness rise. Because when you're all alone in the dark with a nightmare all around you, who are you going to turn to?

At the moment America doesn't have much to be afraid of. It's made them grow more anti-religious and, well just plain up lazy. (Not that i'm implying atheists are lazy.)

It's entirely possible to be religious and an atheist, like with Buddhists and other non-theistic religions. I can't say I know any religious atheists, personally, but there are ~1 billion Buddhists in the world, which is a sizable number just in that religion alone.

They're all irrational beliefs in my eyes, if that's what you're getting at.

Atheism and agnosticism aren't mutually exclusive either. You have the wrong definitions. I'd consider myself to be an agnostic atheist.

Gnostic_Agnostic_Atheist.png

Even with your definitions, it's still entirely possible to be an atheist who believes in a non-theistic afterlife.

This.

But simply combine both forms of Agnostic structure.

Then you have three

Theist = belief in God

Agnostic = doesnt know either way. Could lean on way or another but honestly doesnt know .

Atheist = believes there is no God / Deity whatsoever

This is what I have been saying for about 2 decades now.

However, Atheists cannot just sit there and be Atheists. They have to WHINE there is no God and COMPLAIN about anyone who does.

This the difference. I have never met an Atheist who respected other peoples religious believes.

Yeah, why don't you keep your opinions to yourself or piss off? Maybe it seems that way because the media is actually advanced enough intellectually to have crawled out of the Bronze age...which is where a lot of the ideals of religion belong.

This.

But simply combine both forms of Agnostic structure.

Then you have three

Theist = belief in God

Agnostic = doesnt know either way. Could lean on way or another but honestly doesnt know .

Atheist = believes there is no God / Deity whatsoever

This is what I have been saying for about 2 decades now.

However, Atheists cannot just sit there and be Atheists. They have to WHINE there is no God and COMPLAIN about anyone who does.

This the difference. I have never met an Atheist who respected other peoples religious believes.

No of course you're not putting us down for our belief, because we HAVE no belief...that's the point. You can expect whatever you want. Oscar Wilde once said "There are two tragedies in life: one is not getting what one wants and the other is getting it." But just because you expect something doesn't guarantee you'll get it.

Archived