The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

I find it funny that guys who have never won a ring trash talk more than guys who have won. Terrell Suggs posted a couple meme's making fun of the Pats for not making it to the Super Bowl this year. Where was he last year? How about in 07? How about 04? Or what about his rookie year in 03?

It's one thing for rookies or 2nd years (like Sherman) to talk, because they haven't had sufficient time to win a championship and who knows, they may end up winning a ring or multiple rings. It's another for a guy who's been in the league, what, 8 years, and hasn't won a ring to trash talk a team that's consistantly been better than his.

Hope he doesn't pour bleach on his child and beat his girlfriend and drag her alongside his car again if they lose <_< Is there anyone on that Ravens defense who hasn't committed domestic abuse?

I find it funny that guys who have never won a ring trash talk more than guys who have won. Terrell Suggs posted a couple meme's making fun of the Pats for not making it to the Super Bowl this year. Where was he last year? How about in 07? How about 04? Or what about his rookie year in 03?

It's one thing for rookies or 2nd years (like Sherman) to talk, because they haven't had sufficient time to win a championship and who knows, they may end up winning a ring or multiple rings. It's another for a guy who's been in the league, what, 8 years, and hasn't won a ring to trash talk a team that's consistantly been better than his.

Hope he doesn't pour bleach on his child and beat his girlfriend and drag her alongside his car again if they lose <_< Is there anyone on that Ravens defense who hasn't committed domestic abuse?

I actually have less of a problem with Suggs talking trash than Sherman.

Suggs has proven to be one of the premier defenders in the league consistently. And the Ravens D is largely the reason they've experienced so much success. It's not his fault the offense wasn't able to win them games. Wasn't until this year that Flacco and the O really stepped up their game.

Sherman on the other hand has played 2 years and 2 playoff games, and in one of them he got completely burned for a TD by Roddy White.

I really don't have a problem with players talking trash. It's fun, adds excitement and helps to build rivalries making games more intense.

I actually have less of a problem with Suggs talking trash than Sherman.

Suggs has proven to be one of the premier defenders in the league consistently. And the Ravens D is largely the reason they've experienced so much success. It's not his fault the offense wasn't able to win them games. Wasn't until this year that Flacco and the O really stepped up their game.

Sherman on the other hand has played 2 years and 2 playoff games, and in one of them he got completely burned for a TD by Roddy White.

I really don't have a problem with players talking trash. It's fun, adds excitement and helps to build rivalries making games more intense.

I agree with you, and I disagree with you. While Suggs is one of the best pass rushers and has earned the right to trash talk, in my opinion I don't think he has the right to trash a guy who has more playoff wins and rings than him for getting bounced out of the playoffs in the AFCCG while keeping quiet every time Brady has had success. I guess it'd kinda be like ovechkin trashing crosby after eliminating him from the eastern final even though Crosby's already won everything.

I agree with you, and I disagree with you. While Suggs is one of the best pass rushers and has earned the right to trash talk, in my opinion I don't think he has the right to trash a guy who has more playoff wins and rings than him for getting bounced out of the playoffs in the AFCCG while keeping quiet every time Brady has had success. I guess it'd kinda be like ovechkin trashing crosby after eliminating him from the eastern final even though Crosby's already won everything.

Just curious why trash talk bothers you so much. If Ovi did that to Crosby, I'd laugh!

Just curious why trash talk bothers you so much. If Ovi did that to Crosby, I'd laugh!

Not bothers as much as confuses. Pretty sad staying quiet for so many years just waiting for that one chance to trash talk a guy, especially a guy who's been more successful than you. Which brings up my example of Ovi and Crosby, Ovi (Suggs) staying quiet every year Crosby (Brady/Pats) got further in the playoffs than him and had more success, and then the one year where finally Ovi beats Crosby, he starts making fun of Crosby. Doesn't make sense does it?

There's trash talking where you pick out a players flaws and bring them to attention before playing a team which could have psychological effects on that player, and then there's stupidity ie. John Terry's racist remark.

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Not bothers as much as confuses. Pretty sad staying quiet for so many years just waiting for that one chance to trash talk a guy, especially a guy who's been more successful than you. Which brings up my example of Ovi and Crosby, Ovi (Suggs) staying quiet every year Crosby (Brady/Pats) got further in the playoffs than him and had more success, and then the one year where finally Ovi beats Crosby, he starts making fun of Crosby. Doesn't make sense does it?

There's trash talking where you pick out a players flaws and bring them to attention before playing a team which could have psychological effects on that player, and then there's stupidity ie. John Terry's racist remark.

I don't think Suggs is a good example of a person that "stays quiet" ... he's been pretty consistent with his trash talk.

TSN saying a few hours ago a story was breaking about Ray Lewis (not new news but the report is):

- Sports With Alternatives to Steroids (SWATS) sells banned substances to players.

- Speeds up recovery, builds up muscle quickly

- Ray Lewis requested products that would help speed up his recovery.

- This specific one related to him was called Deer Antler Spray, which contains substances (IGF-1) on NFL's banned list.

- Lewis was recorded on the phone saying, "Just pile me up and send me everything you got."

At http://tsn.ca/nfl there's two videos on the right where it's discussed.

Some things to add as well:

- Lewis has not failed any banned substance test.

- Even if he did it, you know he will deny it.

- Given the way these leagues have gone and the extensive nature of cover up with athletes with this stuff, I automatically think "guilty" first.

Edited by zaibatsu

I dunno man. Ravens won so they've earned the right to talk, IMO.

Tom Brady is a friggin princess, love seeing him fail, and love seeing my team get revenge from last years fluke win by the Pats in the conference championship. LETS GO RAVENS!!!!!

haters-gonna-hate-pats.gif

As my brother is a long time 49's fan, I'm cheering them on.

Has nothing to do with me be a long time Patriots fan - couldn't care less about the Ravens and won't waste my time and energy being a hater. Ravens won fair and square but that game is history. Next year I'll still be cheering for the Patriots. I can't fathom why anyone is a hater - makes no sense at all. Why can't people just be good sports (win or lose) and just cheer for their team?

Edited by Heretic
  • Upvote 1

TSN saying a few hours ago a story was breaking about Ray Lewis (not new news but the report is):

- Sports With Alternatives to Steroids (SWATS) sells banned substances to players.

- Speeds up recovery, builds up muscle quickly

- Ray Lewis requested products that would help speed up his recovery.

- This specific one related to him was called Deer Antler Spray, which contains substances (IGF-1) on NFL's banned list.

- Lewis was recorded on the phone saying, "Just pile me up and send me everything you got."

At http://tsn.ca/nfl there's two videos on the right where it's discussed.

Some things to add as well:

- Lewis has not failed any banned substance test.

- Even if he did it, you know he will deny it.

- Given the way these leagues have gone and the extensive nature of cover up with athletes with this stuff, I automatically think "guilty" first.

Just a speculation leading up to Super Bowl.. If he is guilty, I wonder what the NFL will do.. Suspend him 1 game? lol

Just a speculation leading up to Super Bowl.. If he is guilty, I wonder what the NFL will do.. Suspend him 1 game? lol

It would be a huge one given it's likely his last game, and the Super Bowl. How awesome would it be for him to be proven guilty and he gets suspended after the Super Bowl? Talk about pointless. :(

However, the process to get him suspended would take too long since he hasn't failed any test.

All in all, it will be a lot of controversy that provides a sideshow until Sunday.

Anyways:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/90461/randy-moss-the-greatest-lets-discuss

Randy Moss: I'm the greatest.

Me: No you're not. Not by a long shot.

Jerry Rice evidently responds, I guess if someone else is interested in watching the video and can post what he says (I can't be arsed to temporarily whitelist scripts to enable the video):

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8895051

haters-gonna-hate-pats.gif

As my brother is a long time 49's fan, I'm cheering them on.

Has nothing to do with me be a long time Patriots fan - couldn't care less about the Ravens and won't waste my time and energy being a hater. Ravens won fair and square but that game is history. Next year I'll still be cheering for the Patriots. I can't fathom why anyone is a hater - makes no sense at all. Why can't people just be good sports (win or lose) and just cheer for their team?

Because I took crap from Pats fans last year and heard about it for a full year, I let it all out after my boys got their revenge last week, justice was served.

Because I took crap from Pats fans last year and heard about it for a full year, I let it all out after my boys got their revenge last week, justice was served.

Strange. Last year I was more happy about the Pats making it to the super bowl rather than making it my mission to hate on the Pats as much as I could because we got "revenge" for that divisional round loss. To each their own.

Yikes, on a San Francisco football teams of all teams.. really?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Chris-Culliver-San-Francisco-49ers-inflammatory-gay-remarks-013013

49ers' Culliver says gays not welcome

The San Francisco 49ers said Wednesday they have addressed anti-gay remarks made by cornerback Chris Culliver during a Super Bowl media day interview.

The team didn't elaborate on whether the second-year player would face disciplinary action or a fine.

During an interview Tuesday at the Superdome, Culliver responded to questions from comedian Artie Lange by saying he wouldn't welcome a gay player in the locker room. He also said the 49ers didn't have any homosexual players and, if they did, those players should leave.

''The San Francisco 49ers reject the comments that were made yesterday, and have addressed the matter with Chris,'' the team said. ''There is no place for discrimination within our organization at any level. We have and always will proudly support the LGBT community.''

Culliver planned to formally address his remarks during a news conference during the 49ers' media availability Thursday morning, according to his personal public relations representative, Theodore Palmer.

''Chris is very apologetic for any harm caused to anyone,'' Palmer said in a phone interview. ''His intent was not that at all. He is one who celebrates the differences of others. All of this was just a big mistake. It was interpreted wrong.''

The interview Tuesday began with Lange asking Culliver about his sexual plans with women during Super Bowl week. Lange followed up with a question about whether Culliver would consider pursuing a gay man.

''I don't do the gay guys, man. I don't do that,'' Culliver said during the 1-minute taped interview. ''Ain't got no gay people on the team. They gotta get up outta here if they do. Can't be with that sweet stuff.''

Lange asked Culliver to reiterate his thoughts, to which the player said, ''It's true.'' He added he wouldn't welcome a gay teammate - no matter how talented.

''Nah. Can't be ... in the locker room, nah,'' he said. ''You've gotta come out 10 years later after that.''

The 24-year-old Culliver, a third-round draft pick in 2011 out of South Carolina, made 47 tackles with two interceptions and a forced fumble this season while starting six games for the NFC champion Niners (13-4-1).

He had his first career postseason interception in San Francisco's 28-24 win at Atlanta for the NFC title.

The 49ers participate in the NFL's ''It Gets Better'' anti-bullying campaign. The city of San Francisco and progressive, open-minded Bay Area are home to a large gay community.

Messages left for a 49ers spokesman weren't immediately returned.

I'd love to hear how what he said was interpreted wrong, but still, it's a sideshow, entertainment until the Super Bowl, albeit the sleazy kind.