The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

1 hour ago, NucksPatsFan said:

The 2nd round pick we got for Jimmy G has now been turned into 2 4th round picks a 5th round pick and the bears 2nd round pick next year, which will be in the 30s.

I think QB gets taken with that pick next year, unless Rudolph or lauletta are available in the 90s or early 100s tomorrow. 

I don’t think so.

3 hours ago, Isam said:

Strange pick by the browns taking corbett

Corbett did not get beat once his last season at Nevada. Not a single sack allowed and plays with an edge. Will be interesting to see if they keep him at LT or move him to guard. Good prospect

3 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Durability is also a concern.  He's gonna get absolutely drilled the way he plays.  I don't know if you can coach the risk-taking out of him without sacrificing his creativity too much.

He's not as good as his numbers indicate.

THIS. The kid weighs 185 soaking wet. You look at players who have had similar skill sets (RG3, Randall Cunningham, Vick) they all struggled with durability issues. And I believe all three were better passers, and have better touch on their throws (especially RG3)

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Ugh. Nowosu is not too bad though

Great high energy, high motor, smart player. I absolutely love him, mind you I have seen him grow and develop firsthand. 

• Upvote 1

Ozzie has killed it so far. 2 stud tight ends(1 has to pan out), potential starting RT in Orlando Brown (steal) and a future starting qb in Lamar Jackson B)

Loved how GB has attacked the draft and the Titans with 2 homerun picks in Landry and Evans. Impressive. 

Chubb and Von Miller are gonna be so fun to watch

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

I don’t think so.

You think the bears will be a top 21 team in the league? I don't think they stand a chance at their division or even 2nd in their division. I see them at 6-10, maybe 7-9 if they pull out a squeaker early on like they almost beat Steelers last year. 

I think Maurice Hurst is a first round talent. I don't understand why teams are not picking him yet. He is apparently totally off most teams draft boards because of a heart issue.

If something happens to him medically shouldn't the NFL just reward the team drafting him a comp pick?

Tim Settle is another DT I really like to add to Eagles d line rotation.

Just from checking out a few teams beat reporters' twitter, a lot of teams felt this draft lacked in defensive talent in the 2-4 rounds. Just going off their tweets, teams felt the first round grade defenders will be starters, and mid round 4 to 7 guys are boom or bust projects (a lot of talent not a lot of IQ) but that those early middle round picks aren't worth the guys ranked there. Pretty interesting. I think picks 21-27 were all offense weren't they? A lot of offense in round 2 too if i recall correctly. 

Kind of hoping Belichick takes a waiver on Griffin, 1 hand and all, he's a talent. 

8 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

You think the bears will be a top 21 team in the league? I don't think they stand a chance at their division or even 2nd in their division. I see them at 6-10, maybe 7-9 if they pull out a squeaker early on like they almost beat Steelers last year. 

5:11 last year with no receivers to speak of, tons of injuries to receiving core.

Not to mention that every team would stack the box since they knew it would be a running play.

NFC north has gotten better, but Bears are not going to have 1 more win vs. last year.

They didn’t almost beat Steelers, they actually won that game.

1 hour ago, CBH1926 said:

5:11 last year with no receivers to speak of, tons of injuries to receiving core.

Not to mention that every team would stack the box since they knew it would be a running play.

NFC north has gotten better, but Bears are not going to have 1 more win vs. last year.

They didn’t almost beat Steelers, they actually won that game.

My bad, for some reason I thought the Bears blew that game on the last drive, or maybe that was the Steelers that did. Or maybe I'm just thinking of a different game all together lol. 

Either way, that pick will be in the first half of the 2nd round. As it sits, we have a 1st, three 2nds and three 3rds (with projected compensatory picks done by ESPN) for next year. A lot of ammunition to make moves. 

The QB we took today, I expect him to be like a Brian hoyer - career back up. He's apparently super smart so maybe the "learned from brady" mystique can also turn him into a trade for a 4th or 5th rounder in a couple years.

But I firmly believe Brady's successor will be picked next year, and with all those picks in the first 3 rounds, the scouts will be heavily researching QB's this upcoming NCAA season. 

6 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

My bad, for some reason I thought the Bears blew that game on the last drive, or maybe that was the Steelers that did. Or maybe I'm just thinking of a different game all together lol. 

Either way, that pick will be in the first half of the 2nd round. As it sits, we have a 1st, three 2nds and three 3rds (with projected compensatory picks done by ESPN) for next year. A lot of ammunition to make moves. 

The QB we took today, I expect him to be like a Brian hoyer - career back up. He's apparently super smart so maybe the "learned from brady" mystique can also turn him into a trade for a 4th or 5th rounder in a couple years.

But I firmly believe Brady's successor will be picked next year, and with all those picks in the first 3 rounds, the scouts will be heavily researching QB's this upcoming NCAA season. 

I am thinking about going to the Bears Pats game, probably last time that Tom will play against the Bears.

I am looking at this Seahawks defence next year, and I think they can be better than expected.

They have a lot of talented, albeit unproven pass rushers, Frank Clark being the lead guy. Dion Jordan showed some really good flashes last season and am a firm believer that he will take the next step and become a pass rusher that this team can rely on. Marcus Smith was very meh last season, but was changing positions so I will give him the benefit of the doubt. Rasheem Green is a guy I think can be a surprise as a third round pick. Can play both inside and outside and ate up a lot of double teams playing inside last season. He does need a little refinement, but should fill the Michael Bennett role admirably. On the inside, Naz Jones was a force when healthy last season. Curious to see what he will do with more snaps. Jarran Reed was arguably our best lineman last season, and has shown pass rush potential. Looking at the LB core you have 2 of the best in the game in KJ and Bobby Wagner. Mingo was added, but to me he is likely a 1 down SLB. Curious to seem how Quem Griffin fits in. If he comes in and performs like I think he will (like a Stud), I could see Seattle using him quite a bit on 2nd and 3rd down and maybe as a box safety on 1st down. He is so versatile. He can spy, rush, drop into coverage. In the secondary, I am cautiously optimistic. Shaquill Griffin got progressively better as the season went on. Coleman was very good in the nickel role and Maxwell was pretty good too. Earl is Earl, and Mcdougall was decent at SS.

There are 3 keys to Seattle having success this Season. 

1. Special Teams

- They took a massive stepback last season and it ultimately cost them a playoff spot. And underlying stat from the 2013 SB team was that Seattle only allowed like 80 yards on PR all season long (50 of those coming in week 17). Last year they allowed around 400 yards on punt returns. They have to be better and the addition of punter Dickson (look up his Bowl game highlights) as well as Griffin and CB Flowers and LS Tanner Carew should help with that. 

2. Stop the Run

- They brought in 2 good run defenders at DT in Stephen and Tom Johnson to go along with Jarran Reed who is a + run defender. UDFA Poona Ford is another guy who is an absolute tank and was probably my Favourite UDFA signing. Didn't get drafted because he is a 5'10" DT. He will make the team, I am calling it right now. Run Defense is also about motors and swarming the ball carrier. Mingo and Griffin are 2 guys with excellent motors to go along with athleticism that should help in that department. And everyone already knows about the trio of ETIII, KJ, and Bobby. When Seattle is at its best it does 2 things. Stop the run, and pass rush from the interior. I am confident Seattle will defend the run better this season, than last

3. Run the ball better

-Seattle won 9 games last season without a RB going for over 100 yards in a game. That will change with the additions of DJ Fluker, Ed Dickson, and Will Dissly as well as a scheme change. Fluker is a great run blocker, Ed Dickson is premier Run blocking TE and Will Dissly was the best blocking TE in the draft. If this offseason has told us anything, Seattle is looking at getting back to running the football effectively. They spent a 1st rounder on Rashaad Penny, who broke the most tackles in CFB last season plus has 4.4 speed. Add that a backfield that already has a good young back in Carson and Mike Davis who has shown flashes and it should spell Seattle running the ball better. Running the ball better will help Russ find receivers. There were times last season where 7 players would drop into coverage on 1st or 2nd down because they knew Seattle was not going to run the football, which in turn led to coverage sacks.

• Upvote 1