The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NFL thread

Tony Romo

Didn't the Patriots fire the guy who admitted to taking the balls into a separate room to let the air out? Why are they still arguing that it didn't happen? Are we supposed to believe that this guy did it on his own volition without the consent of the guy throwing them? Not bloody likely. Tom knew and more likely than not ordered it directly. His only hope now is a high priced team of lawyers coaching him on what to say and what evidence to destroy. He may still get off but in the court of public opinion, at least the one outside of New England, he's guilty.

Like you stated with your "more likely than not" phrase, there's no smoking gun for the NFL to present in court.

Of course he's innocent, clearly all innocent people destroy evidence. He had nothing to hide on that phone that is why he destroyed it.

Lol what? Ted Wells and his team received countless pages of text messages, emails and other data from Brady's phone as asked. His lawyers told Brady that under the NFLPA bylaws he didn't have to give up his physical phone and that they wouldn't authorize him to give up his actual phone.

As for what was on the phone, Brady says that they turned over "detailed pages" of phone records and all of the emails requested by the Wells investigators. They also went to the phone company to retrieve the relevant messages from his broken phone. The NFL acknowledged that last part in the 20-page statement explaining Goodell's decision, buried in a footnote on page 12.

Furthermore, Ted Wells [Mr. Cigarettes don't cause cancer] nor Goodell during their investigation/appeal hearing didn't tell Brady or his lawyers that refusal to turn over the actual phone would be grounds for discipline.

The real bummer in this whole thing is

He says that he replaced his broken Samsung phone with an iPhone

Why'd you have to go to an iPhone, Tom? :( So dissappointing

Edited by NucksPatsFan

Like you stated with your "more likely than not" phrase, there's no smoking gun for the NFL to present in court.

Lol what? Ted Wells and his team received countless pages of text messages, emails and other data from Brady's phone as asked. His lawyers told Brady that under the NFLPA bylaws he didn't have to give up his physical phone and that they wouldn't authorize him to give up his actual phone.

Furthermore, Ted Wells [Mr. Cigarettes don't cause cancer] nor Goodell during their investigation/appeal hearing didn't tell Brady or his lawyers that refusal to turn over the actual phone would be grounds for discipline.

Apple switched to currently impenetrable encryption with their phones. I have an Android based phone, but if I was worried about wanting to hide my text messages and/or hot wife nudie pictures, I'd probably switch to an iPhone. Android has encryption now as well, but it is an open code platform that makes some people nervous.

Some of you are fooling yourselves. This is coming as much from the other 31 teams as it is coming from Goodell. Goodell has been "skating on thin ice" with his 40+ Million/yr. job because of all of the NFL mistakes handling scandals. He's doing what's in his own best interest. Making at least 16-17 other teams happy so he can keep his ridiculously high paying job. NFL owners aren't known for their integrity.

Edited by SabreFan1

Why destroy the phone if he really had nothing to hide?

I mean they had ALL the evidence right? Seems like odd timing to destroy a phone under investigation.

They don't need a smoking gun. The NFL rules state that for game integrity, circumstantial evidence (more likely than not) is enough for punishment.

We'll see how it holds up in court. In the meantime, if you and TRR wanna debate the laws of science, I'm ready.

BCDYv.gif

Why destroy the phone if he really had nothing to hide?

I mean they had ALL the evidence right? Seems like odd timing to destroy a phone under investigation.

Isn't it obvious? It fell out of his pocket as he sat down to drop a deuce and he didn't notice until he had already flushed. ;)

Brady is rolling the dice on this one too. If judge grants temporary injunction, he gets to play game 1 ... suppose the judge takes 9 weeks to decide if process was fair or not and decide that it was ... then he has to serve the 4 games beginning in week 11 ... hmmmm. That's a crucial part of the season.

Maybe he should just serve the 4 at the beginning of the season.

Brady is rolling the dice on this one too. If judge grants temporary injunction, he gets to play game 1 ... suppose the judge takes 9 weeks to decide if process was fair or not and decide that it was ... then he has to serve the 4 games beginning in week 11 ... hmmmm. That's a crucial part of the season.

Also judges rarely rule against the arbitrators decision, a big gamble that could blow up in Brady's face.

shhh don't give em advice. Watch it come back and bite em in the ass later in the year Edited by Jiggs50

Brady and the Pats would have looked so much better if they had just let this one go from the start. Admit it, it's over, no drama, no stupid stories or jokes about deflated footballs or anything to do with this at all, and maybe a reduced suspension from the league.

By being stubborn as hell, even though evidence is so concrete, they've not only made themselves look like cheaters, but also liars. I can get past a team using defleted footballs nbd (seriously who cares it's a deflated footballs case not a murder case), but by continuing to deny this with new evidence seemingly surfacing every day makes them look even worse and makes me lose much more respect for them for trying to cover up and lie. From a team standpoint as well, there's absolutely no logic for trying to ruin your reputation even more, as well as negating your chances of getting the suspension reduced.

I'm getting soooo tired of hearing about deflated footballs, so hopefully the Pats are smart enough to just let this go and just end for the sake of everyone, literally everyone. Garoppolo is more than a capable quarterback on a team as talented as the Pats, with a coach as good as Belichick, shouldn't really make too much of a difference anyway.

Edited by Grape

I wonder if the NFL is becoming a joke to the rest of the sporting world with how much attention the inflation or deflation of air in a ball is getting. If LA Galaxy were found to overinflate their soccer balls by 1PSI above the allowed limit for their home games, how long would the story last? A day? A couple of days, maybe?

If any NFL players wanted to beat up their wives/girlfriends, the month of August would be the perfect time with every football media resource focused on what happens in federal court.

Air in balls used in the first half of a runaway game 7 months ago would take priority over domestic abuse easily.

I don't know if that's more sad, or more embarassing. :sadno:

Brady and the Pats would have looked so much better if they had just let this one go from the start. Admit it, it's over, no drama, no stupid stories or jokes about deflated footballs or anything to do with this at all, and maybe a reduced suspension from the league.

By being stubborn as hell, even though evidence is so concrete, they've not only made themselves look like cheaters, but also liars. I can get past a team using defleted footballs nbd (seriously who cares it's a deflated footballs case not a murder case), but by continuing to deny this with new evidence seemingly surfacing every day makes them look even worse and makes me lose much more respect for them for trying to cover up and lie. From a team standpoint as well, there's absolutely no logic for trying to ruin your reputation even more, as well as negating your chances of getting the suspension reduced.

I'm getting soooo tired of hearing about deflated footballs, so hopefully the Pats are smart enough to just let this go and just end for the sake of everyone, literally everyone. Garoppolo is more than a capable quarterback on a team as talented as the Pats, with a coach as good as Belichick, shouldn't really make too much of a difference anyway.

But if Brady is actually innocent why would he not fight it

And what concrete evidence do you have that makes Brady guilty?

I wonder if the NFL is becoming a joke to the rest of the sporting world with how much attention the inflation or deflation of air in a ball is getting. If LA Galaxy were found to overinflate their soccer balls by 1PSI above the allowed limit for their home games, how long would the story last? A day? A couple of days, maybe?

If any NFL players wanted to beat up their wives/girlfriends, the month of August would be the perfect time with every football media resource focused on what happens in federal court.

Air in balls used in the first half of a runaway game 7 months ago would take priority over domestic abuse easily.

I don't know if that's more sad, or more embarassing. :sadno:

Well it's your team that seems so hellbent on letting this ordeal continue.

And I don't see what the game being a runaway has anything to do with anything. Cheating is still cheating even if it isn't necessary or doesn't work. Plus I would say it's highly unlikely that the Colts game was the only time that it occured.

Edited by Jägermeister