The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver Giants thread

Rate this topic

TACIC

Losing turns fans off? Loyalty in Vancouver when you lose isn't as strong.

What year does Benson get drafted? 2016?

correct 2016..I hope he has a great next season because he hasnt been exactly ripping it up this year.but I guess for a 16 year old it hasnt been bad.

Edited by ShakyWalton

• 2 weeks later...

Another crap year for the Giants..2 years in a row of no playoffs and futility..wont bode well for attendance which slipped a lot this year..better pick it up fast or I can see them moving out.

No Shaky, they finished third and made the playoffs last year in Hay's last year as coach. When you see a jump in ticket prices from 22 dollars to 29. You tell me if that doesn't affect the attendace! I Also found out it was cheaper to call the ticket office to get tickets. Compare to the rest of the league the attendace isn't that bad.

IMO I don't see this team going anywhere . Thank god for Vancouver they have Owners and a GM who cares about this team and community. Shaky you don't know how good you have it with the Giants. You could have had a crap owner IMO in Rick Brodsky who took a once proud franchise in the Cougars who ran it into the ground in Victoria and moved it P.G and ended up doing the same there before new ownership took over.

This franchise has been successful for so long you think one bad streach in your opinion that they need to pick it up?

This team has been in contention for 5 years after winning the Memorial cup before missing the post season. Making the post season for 10 straight years you will eventually going to have some hick ups after that long of success. When you don't draft the top midget players for a few years . It usually Tells me your doing well when your not always drafting in the top 4-5 every year. Even the great Kelowna Rockets missed the playoffs in 06/07 two years after winning it all .And it took them another year or two to get where they are now.

Edited by canacks1970

No Shaky, they finished third and made the playoffs last year in Hay's last year as coach. When you see a jump in ticket prices from 22 dollars to 29. You tell me if that doesn't affect the attendace! I Also found out it was cheaper to call the ticket office to get tickets. Compare to the rest of the league the attendace isn't that bad.

IMO I don't see this team going anywhere . Thank god for Vancouver they have Owners and a GM who cares about this team and community. Shaky you don't know how good you have it with the Giants. You could have had a crap owner IMO in Rick Brodsky who took a once proud franchise in the Cougars who ran it into the ground in Victoria and moved it P.G and ended up doing the same there before new ownership took over.

This franchise has been successful for so long you think one bad streach in your opinion that they need to pick it up?

This team has been in contention for 5 years after winning the Memorial cup before missing the post season. Making the post season for 10 straight years you will eventually going to have some hick ups after that long of success. When you don't draft the top midget players for a few years . It usually Tells me your doing well when your not always drafting in the top 4-5 every year. Even the great Kelowna Rockets missed the playoffs in 06/07 two years after winning it all .And it took them another year or two to get where they are now.

Damn..you are right..I was thinking of 2012 and forgot that they did make the playoffs last year.....I agree that ownership has been great...but it just seems that the instability with coaching and lack of top end talent has caught up to them..this can all turn around of course and I hope it does before the fans tune them out completely..I have seen it with Junior hockey before in Vancouver...It just seems to me its taking awhile to get a strong competitive team on the ice...but thats maybe because I have seen them win it all.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It seems Molleken came here because he had no other options and the Giants were adamant about getting someone with Dub experience after last year's disaster with Troy G. Ward. All-in-all, it seems like a forced fit. But at least Molleken likes having a tough team, so the Giants could be more interesting for that alone.

It seems Molleken came here because he had no other options and the Giants were adamant about getting someone with Dub experience after last year's disaster with Troy G. Ward. All-in-all, it seems like a forced fit. But at least Molleken likes having a tough team, so the Giants could be more interesting for that alone.

I could write a list of potential coaches who turned it down or were turned down...I think Toigo wants to get it right...they are bleeding cash and I dont think there are to many losing seasons left.

I could write a list of potential coaches who turned it down or were turned down...I think Toigo wants to get it right...they are bleeding cash and I dont think there are to many losing seasons left.

Business-wise, the losses won't matter too much because they'll be in Surrey in a brand new building in 2 years.

What?

The Toigos have been in negotiations with the City of Surrey to build an arena somewhere along Skytrain, which they deem as important for future success of the franchise. Surrey is building a two-plex of rinks down near the Scott Road Skytrain station and have enough room on that parcel for a facility to house sporting tenant. From the noise going on, it sounds as if Surrey will supply the land for the facility for free, with private investors paying to build the place. I would then imagine some sort of joint arrangement between the two in terms of the management of it. I think the new building needs to be at least 7,000 seats and probably more like 8,000. I believe the plot of land is 57 acres, so the two-plex and the Giants' new home will all easily fit on it. The old Surrey Rec Centre will then be demolished, as it sticks out like a sore thumb now with all the recent construction at Central City. I wouldn't be surprised if this is all finalized and announced by the end of summer, but who knows.