The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Newer Newer Official WWE/TNA thread.

marleau_12

Impact Wrestling Cancelled By Spike TV 7/27/2014 8:57 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

EXCLUSIVE

0727-impact-wrestling-spike-1.jpg

TNA Wrestling's flagship show "Impact Wrestling" could soon be without a home -- Spike TV quietly let the league know it's not renewing their TV contract … TMZ has learned.

Multiple sources with direct knowledge of the deal ... tell us Spike execs contacted TNA President Dixie Carter late last week to break the news -- and the following day Carter informed members of her inner circle.

TNA's current deal with Spike reportedly runs through October. It's unclear at this point when "Impact Wrestling" will stop airing on Spike.

We're told there's no bad blood, and Spike gave TNA such advance notice so it would have time to shop for a new TV deal.

TNA's show debuted on Spike TV in October 2005 -- and helped the league rise to #2 on the wrestling scene … behind the WWE.

We've called TNA and Spike for comment ... so far, no word back.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The beginning of the end for TNA?

WWE might use and turn Bryan Burglar attempt into a storyline.

As noted last Friday, Daniel Bryan and his wife Brie Bella arrived at their home in Phoenix to find two burglars attempting to break in Bryan caught one of the burglars and held him in a rear naked chokehold until police arrived, but the second burglar managed to escape. There has been at least some talk within WWE of turning this incident into a storyline. Someone within WWE made a suggestion that they do an angle where it's revealed that Triple H and Stephanie McMahon sent people to Bryan's home to rob him.

Other names have been tossed around as possible opponents for Sting at WM31 should Undertaker be unable to go.

Cena, Bray and HHH.

What would a victory for Sting over HHH do? He saves WWE from The Authority. He's already said he's only looking for one more match against Undertaker only.

There have been rumors and i'd rather see Bray vs. HHH at WM31.

The Wrestling Observer reports that Sting has stated on numerous occasions that there is only one match in him left and that would be against the Undertaker at Wrestlemania. With Undertaker's recent loss of the streak plus his health being in danger of not recovering in time for next year's Mania, there is concern that Sting may not wrestle his one WWE match.

Sting will be inducted into the 2015 Hall of Fame and the word we are receiving is there will be a push and persuasion to have him agree to face Triple H at Wrestlemania should Undertaker not be able to make it. The word is Sting would receive a big victory over Triple H at the biggest ppv of them all. Other names like John Cena and Bray Wyatt have been tossed around, but officials think Triple H would be the best villain to face Sting. There is still a small chance Undertaker will be in action and if so though don't expect him to be a full 100 percent. There is still a lot of time but WWE officials are scrambling to try and get a definite answer soon from Sting on if he would be willing to accept an alternative to the Undertaker. We will keep you posted.

Brie vs. Steph is official for SummerSlam.

Nikki is suppose to be turning heel and I can see her turning on Brie and costing her the match at SS, and joining The Authority. Makes all the sense for her too. Brie "quit" and left Nikki all alone in unfair matches and beatdowns. Nikki was put through because Steph was taking it out on her because of Brie.

I do wonder if Nikki turns heel would have any bearing on Cena eventually turning heel.

Brie should never ever be allowed to talk again. Good god is she terrible.

The Heyman/Cena promo was fantastic though. This is how Cena should be all the time in his important feuds.

Edited by Mikey2Dope
  • Upvote 1

- Batista recently spoke with the Huffington Post UK about the streak ending and more. Here are the highlights...

On "The Streak" ending: "It sucked! Honestly, I thought it sucked. I haven't really talked much about it but I think it was a bad decision, a horrible decision. I don't have any say in the matter but to me, watching as a fan, it made me sick. Brock Lesnar beating him didn't seem to work and it really wasn't good that Brock left the day after. I just don't see how that made sense at all. I don't think anyone wanted to see the streak broken and it just didn't make sense to me."

If Sting will wrestle in WWE: "I don't know – you know, they've been talking about that for years. I've never even met him. But I hope so. I think he's got a place there. But they need to do it soon because the audience is changing so much that if they wait any longer, the audience is going to be a bunch of kids and when he comes out they're going to chant CM Punk!"

On if he thought he would be booed: "You could have fooled the hell out of me! They channelled their rage right in my direction. I can't put my finger on it, it was crazy. I don't get wrestling now. I've kind of completely taken my finger off the pulse. It's a different audience which I don't understand. It's strange though, it's really just the TV audience because when we get into the live events it's a completely different audience and they come just to watch the show. It's weird, the TV crowd seems like they come to be the show rather than to watch and interact with the show. It's like they want to steal the show, so I'm just totally confused."
Great quote by Batista! The smarky crowds that think they are so cool have been getting more and more obnoxious. (The Daniel Bryan-angry crowds at the Rumble were warranted though - just directed at the wrong people).

Notes from the WWE conference call today:

Some major news coming out of the WWE today

*WWE network will offer a $19.99 per month price for those who don't want to commit to the six month period. It's clear from the number of people who dropped the network even with the commitment in place that it will be much easier to just order at $9.99 and stop paying.

*A one-time payment plan has been offered. Currently subscribers are billed $9.99 per month, but now they can sign up for $59.94 and be billed all at once. The hope is that people will sign up to be billed all at once which saves money for people who decide to drop.

*The network has 700,000 subscribers as of 6/30. They didn't give an updated number. Between 4/7 and 6/30 they added 161,000 subscribers, but had 128,000 cancellations. They wouldn't give details but this is likely shortly after WrestleMania when they had the big jump in subscribers.

*The cancellation number is the huge story here.

*The network will be available in 170 countries on August 12. The key countries that affects are Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain, Norway, Sweden and Finland.

*They are targeting October for the U.K.

*Countries like Italy, UAE, Germany, Japan, China, Thailand and Malaysia would be available at a date to be announced

*WWE signed a ten year deal with Rogers Communications for exclusivity in Canada through 2024. This will include all current programming. The WWE Network will be offered as a traditional television PPV channel in Canada starting August 12. That explains the recent Observer report of WWE purchasing transponder time and testing out the network feed, as a prelude to a television availability. Rogers will own not only the broadcast rights but the digital rights to all the major WWE television shows.

*There wll be massive cost cutting internally. These costs will save the company $10 million this year and $30 million in 2015.

*The cutting wasn't specified past a seven percent reduction in the workforce. It was noted that with the reduction in the work force, there will be a one-time loss of $4.5 million for severance packages taken during the current third quarter.

*They will add Monday Night War and WWE Rivalries to the program schedule shortly.

*If they average 650,000 subscribers in the third quarter, they estimate OIBDA losses of $12 to $17 million in the next quarter, but with the cost cutbacks, annual OIBDA losses would be $25 million to $35 million. Previously they had estimated annual losses (not OIBDA, but total losses) at $45 million to $52 million.

*The network itself lost $15.5 million in OIBDA.

*The cutbacks are so significant that they now feel they can break even on 500,000 subscribers in 2015 as opposed to 1.4 million subscribers and at 1.5 million subscribers they will have OIBDA of $100 million to $120 million, which is more than they had pre-network.

*For the quarter, the company recorded $156.3 million in revenues and lost $14.5 million.

*The WrestleMania quarter last year took in $152.3 million in revenues and had $5.2 million in profits.

*On a world wide basis, WrestleMania did 690,000 buys, Extreme Rules did 108,000, Payback did 67,000 and Money in the Bank did 122,000. For 2013, those shows did 1,104,000; 245,000, 198,000 and 223,000 last year. Keep in mind U.S. totals for all shows were way down, but in theory (not fact), international should be the same. It's not, due to the number of international subscribers to the network.

*TV revenue was up from $38.7 million to $43.8 million due to Total Divas and some international contract gains.

*Digital media was down from $7.4 million to $5.2 million due to less Internet PPV purchases of WrestleMania and the other shows.

*House show attendance was up 13% domestically, misleading because they had 11 fewer shows, meaning the higher attended TV tapings make the average look higher. Because of fewer events and smaller overall attendance, arena merchandise was down 7%. This doesn't include WrestleMania, which was down this year due to a lower attendance and gate. International was down 8%

*Licensing was down due to lower video game sales.

*WWE shop revenues increased 33% from $3 million to $4 million because of an increase in orders. A lot of that increase was due to a new distribution model in the U.K. utilizing Amazon

*Bryan and I will be doing an audio on this available this afternoon. A full breakdown of this and more WWE business items will be in next week's Observer.

Is it just me or does it seem like this is absolutely terrible for Canadian fans?