The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Subway Super Series 2012 CHL vs. Russia

Mr. White

Yeah I know. I was being a smart@ss :P

But damn the WHL did not look good last night. The d was not impressive at all, they seemed tired... which is weird. I would expect Russia to be the tired team after all the travelling they've done.

Do you have some hidden agenda against Reilly? I know the dude is property of the Maple Laughs but the kid is hella good. He fricken dominates every game. And I don't know where these "turnovers" are that you speak of.

i saw plenty of them. i turned on the game midway through the second last night and the first play I saw was Reilly turning over the puck in his own zone and scrambling to try to prevent a scoring chance by russia. He has numerous offensive plays and such, which is great, but he's very prone to giveaways too.

You're kidding, right?

Dominates every game? How many points did he put up? Oh, right, 0 points. A couple flashes of brilliance, sure, but unable to capitalize on anything and he was, as mentioned, a turnover machine plus his defensive zone coverage was sorely lacking (see 2nd goal and, when WHL was on defense on my end, there were a few instances where Reilly was just floating around, covering nobody).

The Murray/Siemens pairing in Vancouver looked excellent. They didn't make many mistakes, made good decisions, and shut down their opponents; exactly what you want from your dmen.

Someone in the Toronto media is enamoured with a Toronto prospect? Amazing ... They're Leafs fans (most TSN analysts) and they cater to the Toronto market. You don't want to piss off your primary demographic, so you highlight the good, ignore the bad. Kadri and Schenn got the same treatment when they were juniors and then the media turned on them when they didn't save the team. Fortunately for Reilly, he's going to come into a better situation (one would hope at least. I don't think Burke can continue to field this garbage of a team for much longer without losing his job), so he at least stands a chance to not become a pariah unlike the other two.

I'm not saying these things aren't fixable nor am I saying he's a bad prospect, I'm just saying he was a turnover machine that didn't look strong defensively the past 2 games against Russia. He's clearly a dominant player against the WHL teams and clearly he has tremendous skill, otherwise he wouldn't have gone 5th overall, but like most prospects, he still needs to tune his game towards the professional level. The stuff I saw over the last 2 games indicates to me that, while he'll get a look in training camp (assuming the NHL ever comes back), he's not going to make the team this year.

Someone in the Toronto media is enamoured with a Toronto prospect? Amazing ... They're Leafs fans (most TSN analysts) and they cater to the Toronto market. You don't want to piss off your primary demographic, so you highlight the good, ignore the bad. Kadri and Schenn got the same treatment when they were juniors and then the media turned on them when they didn't save the team. Fortunately for Reilly, he's going to come into a better situation (one would hope at least. I don't think Burke can continue to field this garbage of a team for much longer without losing his job), so he at least stands a chance to not become a pariah unlike the other two.

I'm not saying these things aren't fixable nor am I saying he's a bad prospect, I'm just saying he was a turnover machine that didn't look strong defensively the past 2 games against Russia. He's clearly a dominant player against the WHL teams and clearly he has tremendous skill, otherwise he wouldn't have gone 5th overall, but like most prospects, he still needs to tune his game towards the professional level. The stuff I saw over the last 2 games indicates to me that, while he'll get a look in training camp (assuming the NHL ever comes back), he's not going to make the team this year.

That's fine. I don't think he'll make the NHL this year either (if it does come back). I just thought he looked like the WHL's best player in the last 2 games.

And when it comes down to it, I really don't care about Rielly. He is Toronto's property, not the Canucks. When he does make the NHL I'm not going to be a big fan of his since he'll be playing for the Leafs.

On a un-related note. I'm dissapointed Gaunce got hurt and wasn't able to play in this series. I really wanted to see what he's got.

Well I for one thought Reilly played great in those two games.

Was at the first game and I didn't notice many giveaways as you guys say. Idk where you're getting that from.

And Reilly is a great prospect, who cares if he's Toronto property? He's still sick.

Well I for one thought Reilly played great in those two games.

Was at the first game and I didn't notice many giveaways as you guys say. Idk where you're getting that from.

And Reilly is a great prospect, who cares if he's Toronto property? He's still sick.

Oh, by the way, for those who attended in Victoria, did anyone else spot Jay Feaster? We spotted him at around 6:05-6:10 at the entrance to section 103. I'm guessing he wasn't very impressed with Brossoit's performance.

The Royals were also in attendance as well behind sections 104 and 105 (Tyler Stahl and Brandon Magee have very unique faces).

Oh, by the way, for those who attended in Victoria, did anyone else spot Jay Feaster? We spotted him at around 6:05-6:10 at the entrance to section 103. I'm guessing he wasn't very impressed with Brossoit's performance.

The Royals were also in attendance as well behind sections 104 and 105 (Tyler Stahl and Brandon Magee have very unique faces).

Archived