The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

1994 vs. 2011

#17forlife

Legends Against Future Legends  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why do we complain about Luongo in those games.

If we won the series and he played amazing in game 7.

As for the other thing you said. Maybe unstoppable isn't the right word, more like unbeatable but either way we won when we were healthy, we battled through the obstacles of each series, and emerged victorious.

All the critizism of Luongo is really unfair (as usual). Yes he wasn't great in game 4 and 5. Was he the only one that played bad? Not a chance.

Then you think of all the great games he had where he came up huge. Games 1, 2, 3, & 7 vs Chicago, was Solid throughout the Nashville series, Great vs SJ except game 3, won us games 1, 2 and 5 in the finals.

But as I've said before it is again just the age old argument in Vancouver "When we win it's inspite of Lu, when we lose it is his fault" And that's an argument niether side will ever win.

I'd say 1994.

Although the goals scored might be close, I think the physical advantage the 1994 team has over the 2011 team is quite similar to the advantage Boston had over Vancouver. The 1994 guys were "tougher" than the 2011 guys without a doubt, and wouldn't get pushed around by anyone. It's likely that the 1994 team would have injured a few of the 2011 guys after a few games.

The more I think about how hypothetical this topic is, the less I care. Both were awesome runs. We'll never know who would win.

2011 hurt a hell of a lot more if that matters. Game 7 at home and lose 4-0? Nothing hurts more. NOTHING!

Well, besides the Pats 18-1 season in '07-'08. That hurt badly. And my Mariners winning 116 games in '01, and then losing in 5 to the Skanks in the ALCS.

I think we lost the cup because a number of reason's: Injuries, overall Inconsistency.

This is the line-up we had for game 7. (Might be a bit off, I can't remember exactly, but im sure this is close)

** Means significant injuries.

Daniel - Henrik** - Burrows

Tamby - Kesler** - Higgins**

Torres - Lappy - Hansen

Bolduc - Manny** - Oreo

Edler** - Bieksa**

Ehrhoff** - Salo

Alberts - Tanev

- Look at that defense, not only are we missing our best defensemen (Hammer) our next best 3 have significant injuries.

- The 2nd line looks nothing like the 2nd line we are used to. (Raymond - Kesler - Sammuelsson)

- The 1-2 punch we had at center that was so great the entire season & Playoffs was desimated due to injuries.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then of course we had some inconsistent play, most noteable Luongo, I'm not doubting it. He was our best player one game then had a bad game others. Although some of our defense also struggled at times, our offense came and went, our powerplay had it's moments but also had bad moments. Then of course Thomas was playing unreal, better than I have ever seen a goaltender play, and the defense game they played around him was very well thought out, there were no rebounds, not alot of chances in close, and they had players step up and play well when they needed it.

I think the #1 reason is injuries because that kind leads into everything else. (Scoring troubles, powerplay) Then of course you can't ignore the way Thomas and Boston played, then after that Luongo's tough nights in Boston.

But finally now that I have said all that I have to say: I don't think it is fair to blame Luongo for more than just those games in Boston, yes u can blame him and say he cost us those games. But you can't blame him for more than that, and certaintly not for the entire series, because in the other games he was our best player. And you certaintly can't dismiss the fact our PP was brutal and that we only scored 8 goals in 7 games.

Luongo was very good in game 7 except for the last minute bellyflop shorthander he gave up which tied the game. That is all beside the point, that series should never ever have gone as far as it did.

Now what was the problem? Was our team injured? Was Luongo to blame for losing 2 games by himself? Or is this team not really built for playoffs and were actually quite lucky to make it as far as they did in 2011.

The 11 team didn't know how to win, yea they finished 1st, but that's really beside the point. Knowing how to win is all about not taking your foot off the gas, it's about taking a small lead and turning it into a blowout. 3-0 series lead then allowing a SHORTHANDER to tie game 7 and force overtime, Cmon man that's embarrassing, win or lose. Closing is the most important thing in sports and many great players and teams just didn't learn it and it kept them from the history books. Talented teams have winning records, but teams that learn how to really close out victories win the last game. Perhaps they will learn from these bitter and frankly childish losses, and take the step to becoming a real team rather than a group of guys just good at hockey.

Archived