The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Funny story...

aeromotacanucks

do you have kids?

they never stay calm and focused, always running around and destroying everything?

maybe you should try some simulator. not a game, a simulator...

it happened 2 days ago when my nephew (1 year and 5 months) visited me at my house where I have my computer with my aviation stuff (simulators, charts, documents etc). as always he was running curious to see everything, but at the same time his curiosity destroys the house...

when he "reached" the computer he started (as always) punch the keyboard and touch the screen. I didn´t want to see my computer destroyed but at the same time I wanted to let him use the computer on a nice way...

I had an idea. "well, perhaps I can put something that is not real but at the same time simulates it. some simulator with a lot of things, cars, water, boats, noise and tons of things to see"

instaled on my computer the X-Plane 10 was my choice because it´s a very "visual" simulator, I started the simulator, changed the keyboard settings, selected "AI flies your airplane" and put our little destroyer to see something without destroy it...

but the result was way more than we expected :) he was excited, smilling and laughing, saying "bye" to the "airplane", poiting to the "cars" and other things, stayed there "flying" the airplane like a little Captain, paying attention on the instruments and landscapes while talking with us :)

of course we discovered that he has his favorite airplanes to play, two diferent single engines, the DASH 8-400 and the Boeing 727 :)

the only problem is when we tried to remove him from the chair, he didn´t want and cried. now his mom asked me to install the X-Plane on her computer so our little angel can play too :)

do you have kids?

they never stay calm and focused, always running around and destroying everything?

maybe you should try some simulator. not a game, a simulator...

it happened 2 days ago when my nephew (1 year and 5 months) visited me at my house where I have my computer with my aviation stuff (simulators, charts, documents etc). as always he was running curious to see everything, but at the same time his curiosity destroys the house...

when he "reached" the computer he started (as always) punch the keyboard and touch the screen. I didn´t want to see my computer destroyed but at the same time I wanted to let him use the computer on a nice way...

I had an idea. "well, perhaps I can put something that is not real but at the same time simulates it. some simulator with a lot of things, cars, water, boats, noise and tons of things to see"

instaled on my computer the X-Plane 10 was my choice because it´s a very "visual" simulator, I started the simulator, changed the keyboard settings, selected "AI flies your airplane" and put our little destroyer to see something without destroy it...

but the result was way more than we expected :) he was excited, smilling and laughing, saying "bye" to the "airplane", poiting to the "cars" and other things, stayed there "flying" the airplane like a little Captain, paying attention on the instruments and landscapes while talking with us :)

of course we discovered that he has his favorite airplanes to play, two diferent single engines, the DASH 8-400 and the Boeing 727 :)

the only problem is when we tried to remove him from the chair, he didn´t want and cried. now his mom asked me to install the X-Plane on her computer so our little angel can play too :)

I grew up loving to play simulators, I think it teaches patience as well as finding subtle gratification in things like managing to land a jet on a carrier, instead today all there is is insta-gratification in zombie killer games and arcade simulators. It's sad that the golden age of PC simulation games is long gone cause they sure could use a makeover.

Archived