The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

52 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

My work week along with other sports is messing with my Stronglifts schedule. 

I am going to experiment.

No Stronglifts this week. Pull/Legs/Push for three available days I have this week.

Then back to Stronglifts next week.

Anyone else ever experience one off weeks from a set plan? Successes? Aggravations?

I can tell my workouts are a big deal too me. I am in a foul mood realizing I can't fit a workout in today!  lol

My two cents: if you miss a day, it’s no big deal. That one day isn’t going to be the reason you do or do not achieve your goals. Both physique and strength goals are the culmination of dozens upon dozens, hundreds even, of days in the gym. 

If missing “just one day” becomes a regular thing then maybe it becomes a problem (particularly if that one day happens to be leg day;)) but once in a blue moon it’s really a non issue.  

1 hour ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

God. My bench is so bad right now. I don't get how your strength suddenly plummets. I couldn't do what I was doing three weeks ago if my life depended on it. It happened before years ago too when I first started and had to rebuild myself. 

Sometimes it's just a CNS issue. Something as subtle as stress impairs your motor recruitment abilities. 

2 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

My two cents: if you miss a day, it’s no big deal. That one day isn’t going to be the reason you do or do not achieve your goals. Both physique and strength goals are the culmination of dozens upon dozens, hundreds even, of days in the gym. 

If missing “just one day” becomes a regular thing then maybe it becomes a problem (particularly if that one day happens to be leg day;)) but once in a blue moon it’s really a non issue.  

It is part boredom issue too with 5X5  lol

My miss "just one day" was last week. So this week I thought I would shift things.

I can hit the gym three days in a row this week. But I can't do Stronglifts three days in  row  

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

It is part boredom issue too with 5X5  lol

My miss "just one day" was last week. So this week I thought I would shift things.

I can hit the gym three days in a row this week. But I can't do Stronglifts three days in  row  

Can you do two days and split the third day between the other two? Put a day in between. 

4 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can you do two days and split the third day between the other two? Put a day in between. 

Not really. As it stood Wednesday was going to be a 'soft' day anyway with late night sports wearing me down.

Missing today. Wednesday soft. Back at it Friday. I didn't like the look for that.

So now I will do Tue, Thu, Fri with pull/legs/push. Go as hard as I can. Back to Stronglifts next week with a minor deload.

Experimenting  :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Not really. As it stood Wednesday was going to be a 'soft' day anyway with late night sports wearing me down.

Missing today. Wednesday soft. Back at it Friday. I didn't like the look for that.

So now I will do Tue, Thu, Fri with pull/legs/push. Go as hard as I can. Back to Stronglifts next week with a minor deload.

Experimenting  :)

What about using this week as your deload? Then go back hard at Stronglifts next week. 

Nothing wrong with your thinking, this is just a suggestion. 

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

What about using this week as your deload? Then go back hard at Stronglifts next week. 

Nothing wrong with your thinking, this is just a suggestion. 

That's what I am kind of doing. Just get to do more exercises this way to keep it interesting.

Actually looking forward to doing some curls, lunges, butterflies, etc.

On 3/19/2018 at 11:54 AM, NucksPatsFan said:

Sometimes it's just a CNS issue. Something as subtle as stress impairs your motor recruitment abilities. 

Maybe. I dunno. What does that mean? Bench sucks right now, rows suck, shoulder press sucks but it's always been the biggest struggle. Rows I don't do every week but when I do I do consistently. Bench I always do and that's absolutely garbage right now one week after a pretty good lift otherwise. I'm doing fine with other back, chest, and most other shoulder exercises. Squat is a-okay. 

Basically, certain exercises various parts of the body are seemingly inexplicably struggling within the past few weeks.

5 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Maybe. I dunno. What does that mean? Bench sucks right now, rows suck, shoulder press sucks but it's always been the biggest struggle. Rows I don't do every week but when I do I do consistently. Bench I always do and that's absolutely garbage right now one week after a pretty good lift otherwise. I'm doing fine with other back, chest, and most other shoulder exercises. Squat is a-okay. 

Basically, certain exercises various parts of the body are seemingly inexplicably struggling within the past few weeks.

Sounds like your body needs rest. Take a full week off, get plenty of sleep and come back after. 

8 minutes ago, RRypien37 said:

Sounds like your body needs rest. Take a full week off, get plenty of sleep and come back after. 

Perhaps. I took some days off at Christmas. Thing is I don't think I've been working that tough and should work harder. I certainly don't lift like I used to. Maybe I'm just getting old!

7 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Perhaps. I took some days off at Christmas. Thing is I don't think I've been working that tough and should work harder. I certainly don't lift like I used to. Maybe I'm just getting old!

It happens to the best of us!

8 hours ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Impaired central nervous system means you're just not getting the motor recruitment needed. You could be fatigued (as suggested by others, take a rest or de-load), over stressed due to external stressors, etc. They're sometimes subconscious factors that contribute to these impairments so though you may not "feel" something is impacting you, reflect on if work is super busy or stressful right now, if you've been lifting a ton lately without giving yourself proper rest/fuel, etc.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Impaired central nervous system means you're just not getting the motor recruitment needed. You could be fatigued (as suggested by others, take a rest or de-load), over stressed due to external stressors, etc. They're sometimes subconscious factors that contribute to these impairments so though you may not "feel" something is impacting you, reflect on if work is super busy or stressful right now, if you've been lifting a ton lately without giving yourself proper rest/fuel, etc.

Would you prescribe absolute rest? If so, how many days?

Or just lighten the load?

32 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

Would you prescribe absolute rest? If so, how many days?

Or just lighten the load?

I personally would prescribe 2-3 days (Wed-Fri) completely off from exercise (besides things like walking the dog, etc.) and then a non-structured exercise to perform on the Sat or Sun (hike, pick up game of hockey or basketball or something, etc.) And then a de-load week the following week. Half-week for deload if you're really itching to lift a weight again.

• Like 1

Damn I have no will power whatsoever :(

Leaving for Mexico in 3 weeks and you'd think my cut would be in full effect diet wise? Nope, still getting bit in the ass by that dead period between 8pm and bedtime where I feel like I 'need' to be snacking while watching TV. Ended up having a little bit of vanilla ice cream and nutella lol. 

Gonna go buy some hummus, carrot sticks, celery sticks to keep around the house to at least have a healthier alternative. 

Sucks when you have a perfect day of eating (no breakfast, chicken breast, 2 cups mixed veggies, nuts for lunch, same for dinner) with a hard compound day workout, and then ruin it with that before bed.

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Damn I have no will power whatsoever :(

Leaving for Mexico in 3 weeks and you'd think my cut would be in full effect diet wise? Nope, still getting bit in the ass by that dead period between 8pm and bedtime where I feel like I 'need' to be snacking while watching TV. Ended up having a little bit of vanilla ice cream and nutella lol. 

Gonna go buy some hummus, carrot sticks, celery sticks to keep around the house to at least have a healthier alternative. 

Sucks when you have a perfect day of eating (no breakfast, chicken breast, 2 cups mixed veggies, nuts for lunch, same for dinner) with a hard compound day workout, and then ruin it with that before bed.

I had pizza and wings for dinner last night

The struggle is real  :lol: