The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

$70! O_o

Probably just gonna try getting some really flat shoes for cheap off ebay or something before getting those

I have a special aversion to those Five Finger shoes, mostly because the people I see wearing them in the gym don't train legs. Like what good does a minimalist shoe do when all you do is curl and bench?

As for shoes, I'd buy a cheap pair of Converse shoes for deadlifting. They have a hard, flat sole and are great for deadlifting in. I think mine cost me $30 USD.

I have a special aversion to those Five Finger shoes, mostly because the people I see wearing them in the gym don't train legs. Like what good does a minimalist shoe do when all you do is curl and bench?

As for shoes, I'd buy a cheap pair of Converse shoes for deadlifting. They have a hard, flat sole and are great for deadlifting in. I think mine cost me $30 USD.

Seconding the converse idea, I wear them every leg day and they work great.

Cutting sucks balls. I'm not doing this again. I'm not even entirely sure it's working and I don't know why I tried it. I'm not BB in the traditional sense and I wasn't even fat to begin with.

I agree cutting sucks. I went from 220 to 185 the past year after graduating college

A couple questions I have: What's your cutting protocol?  How much and what kind of cardio?  What is you maintenance intake and what is your current intake? Finally, why do it in the first place if you didn't think you were fat?

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I agree cutting sucks. I went from 220 to 185 the past year after graduating college

A couple questions I have: What's your cutting protocol? How much and what kind of cardio? What is you maintenance intake and what is your current intake? Finally, why do it in the first place if you didn't think you were fat?

What do you mean by cutting protocol. A vigorous walk first thing in the morning 20-30 minutes and after weights. Started out at 3000 calories for the first couple weeks but that was still too high. Dropped down to 2800. Then a couple weeks later reduced fats and carbs. Fats became trace fats and carbs in meals 2, 3, and 4 were just about cut in half. I've dropped that down to about 2600 now since I stopped losing weight for a couple weeks, that and the oats my mom got had way more calories than the ones I was using before -- 1/3 cup contains 120 as opposed to the usual 60 I thought I was eating.

I'm just doing it to see if I could actually do it successfully. It shouldn't be that difficult. I see other kids do it and they put no more effort into training than I do.

What do you mean by cutting protocol. A vigorous walk first thing in the morning 20-30 minutes and after weights. Started out at 3000 calories for the first couple weeks but that was still too high. Dropped down to 2800. Then a couple weeks later reduced fats and carbs. Fats became trace fats and carbs in meals 2, 3, and 4 were just about cut in half. I've dropped that down to about 2600 now since I stopped losing weight for a couple weeks, that and the oats my mom got had way more calories than the ones I was using before -- 1/3 cup contains 120 as opposed to the usual 60 I thought I was eating.

I'm just doing it to see if I could actually do it successfully. It shouldn't be that difficult. I see other kids do it and they put no more effort into training than I do.

You have a good grasp on what's going on so keep it up. Not a huge fan of low intensity cardio, but you aren't doing 2+ hours a day so I don't see a problem with it.

You have a good grasp on what's going on so keep it up. Not a huge fan of low intensity cardio, but you aren't doing 2+ hours a day so I don't see a problem with it.

Maybe. I don't know how much weight I'm actually supposed to lose to get where I want. I'm down about 12lbs. The thing is that I paid a few bucks for this plan and a month of his help but I don't think he's willing to help anymore unless I pay for his help again so I'm kinda left hanging here making semi-educated guesses. Calories in vs. calories out, I suppose. He made tweaks to the plan here and there every week which I assume are important and those are tweaks I'm not making because I don't actually know how or what to do in that regard.

Maybe. I don't know how much weight I'm actually supposed to lose to get where I want. I'm down about 12lbs. The thing is that I paid a few bucks for this plan and a month of his help but I don't think he's willing to help anymore unless I pay for his help again so I'm kinda left hanging here making semi-educated guesses. Calories in vs. calories out, I suppose. He made tweaks to the plan here and there every week which I assume are important and those are tweaks I'm not making because I don't actually know how or what to do in that regard.

i would personally do strength training on a cut. You can get stronger while cutting if you eat 2-300 below maintenance. Also set a goal of where you want your BF% to be. I usually stop cutting at 10%. Little tweaks were probably just so he looked like he was doing something. Just lift heavy 3-5 rep range and keep your diet in check.

i would personally do strength training on a cut. You can get stronger while cutting if you eat 2-300 below maintenance. Also set a goal of where you want your BF% to be. I usually stop cutting at 10%. Little tweaks were probably just so he looked like he was doing something. Just lift heavy 3-5 rep range and keep your diet in check.

I'm mixing high reps and low reps right now. You can gain strength in a cut? Mine is slowly deteriorating. He said that would happen, as had happened with him.

I'm mixing high reps and low reps right now. You can gain strength in a cut? Mine is slowly deteriorating. He said that would happen, as had happened with him.

i dont see why you would do high reps (6-10) which is to build muscle mass on a cut. And ya ive actually gained strength while cutting, pretty sure it only works if you lift heavy AF and are in a minimal deficit. Obviously strength gains wont be going at the same rate than when youre bulking but anything is good.

i dont see why you would do high reps (6-10) which is to build muscle mass on a cut. And ya ive actually gained strength while cutting, pretty sure it only works if you lift heavy AF and are in a minimal deficit. Obviously strength gains wont be going at the same rate than when youre bulking but anything is good.

It's also what he did. I'm just following him here since he's a 260lb body builder that won a heavy weight competition for the first time on his first attempt. Seems pretty credible.

hoping to reach 170 by the end of the summer which is a good weight for my height/body type. Also trying to define my abs a little so planning on doing the grind a few times to help burn a little belly fat even though there's not much there. Gaining muscle mass seems to be my biggest problem. Maybe I'm not lifting heavy enough though I do keep my reps around 5-7 and the 3rd set is definitely a struggle. Probably have to eat bigger as well since I sometimes skip meals altogether.

It's also what he did. I'm just following him here since he's a 260lb body builder that won a heavy weight competition for the first time on his first attempt. Seems pretty credible.

maybe it worked for him and it might for you, but thats just my 2 cents, i like to stick with the generic ways that most have found success in

hoping to reach 170 by the end of the summer which is a good weight for my height/body type. Also trying to define my abs a little so planning on doing the grind a few times to help burn a little belly fat even though there's not much there. Gaining muscle mass seems to be my biggest problem. Maybe I'm not lifting heavy enough though I do keep my reps around 5-7 and the 3rd set is definitely a struggle. Probably have to eat bigger as well since I sometimes skip meals altogether.

so you trying to get to 170 or trying to get abs? You wont be able to gain weight and lose weight, pick one and go full out on it.

Edit: unless youre getting them newbie gains

Edited by canucks#01fan