The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Workout Thread

anybody know if wrist straps are any good? my wrists kill so I was thinking of getting some

They r only good for dumbbell rows when u start pushing the real heavy weights.

You all have to keep in mind that using wrists straps will interfere with grip strength. Your hands will lose strength if u rely on the straps

Shoulder pain has gotten to the point that I can't bench without significant pain. Time to get the ball rolling on getting it fixed because this trying to train around it is not working.

That's the same with my back.

I can't even squat right now..I'm on my feet all day at work now, even when I don't have to lift or bend throughout the day, my lower back spasms like crazy at night.

Time to man up and hit some physio...:(

What is your whole routine like and also is your goal bodybuilding, powerlifting, athletic, ect...?

I see a lot of people who just do a million sets but they dont realize that more does not mean better. Currently i do chest twice a week with only 8 sets for chest each (i group chest shoulders and tri's) and have been making progress.

8 sets of chest you mean?

Like 4 sets bench, 4 sets incline?

For chest I do

8x4 DB flatbench

8x4 DB incline

8x3 pec flies

2x a week and pushups every other day

This isn't nearly enough is it?

I would think it is. So many people think more is better but as with many things in life - less is more. When I'm done I get around 12-15 sets total. I would also think anything more than that is dumb unless you're a body builder, or something. I banged out several sets on incline dumbbells with 115 last night so I'd say I kind of know what I'm talking about. That is more than what you'll see from most people at your casual gym. Which reminds me to ask, how is everyone else feeling combining heavy sets and lighter sets together? If I did 115 incline press for 6,7,6 and then 80 for 10 x 3, is that too big of a drop in weight just to get 10 reps? I don't know if I suck at doing higher reps or if its all in my head.

Shoulder pain has gotten to the point that I can't bench without significant pain. Time to get the ball rolling on getting it fixed because this trying to train around it is not working.

Dont mess with it, give it a lot of time off. When you feel you are good enough to start again because theres no pain, think again and sit out some more. Been through shoulder pain, it's finally become better some 8-9 months later. But I dont push my shoulders as hard as I used to stil, dont want to risk that again. I can bench perfectly fine now however, just dont risk it with dumbbell shoulder presses anymore.

Well, since Dec 21, have lost a total of 42 pounds and have maintained very nicely. The next step is to start doing weights. Never done them in my life, always cardio. Problem is that I hate going to the gym myself and would need to go with a friend. Problem is that the few friends I have are married (like me) and do not have the desire to go to the gym.

Well, since Dec 21, have lost a total of 42 pounds and have maintained very nicely. The next step is to start doing weights. Never done them in my life, always cardio. Problem is that I hate going to the gym myself and would need to go with a friend. Problem is that the few friends I have are married (like me) and do not have the desire to go to the gym.

do it prison style. go out in the yard and lift bags of water.

Sometimes the hardest part is just walking in that door....

Hmm , what exercises are the 8 sets you do, rep range?

focusing on strength right now, working sets are in the 3-5 rep range. Still put on a little bit of size tho. 4 flat bench, 4 incline both with barbell Edited by MusclePharm

Nice job, Monty!

Just like key said, just getting out the door is the hardest part. I have extreme paranoia and used to always think people would watch me workout or think they were judging the weights I was lifting...when in reality, people don't give a rat's ass, just get in there, activate beast mode, get out and let those beautiful endorphins take over on the drive home, you'll be glad you did!

Once you start lifting weights, you will get the itch (No, not the burn when you pee type itch) and you will love the feeling of lifting weights and the strength you will gain!

NOW GO DO IT!

• Upvote 2

That's the same with my back.

I can't even squat right now..I'm on my feet all day at work now, even when I don't have to lift or bend throughout the day, my lower back spasms like crazy at night.

Time to man up and hit some physio... :(

I think I know what the issue is and what needs to be done. Based on symptoms and location, I either have a winged acromion (part of the scapula that comes to the clavicle) or a bone spur that binds in the bottom of the bench press. Best guess is that surgery is required and I'll have 3-4 months of recovery time. Either way this is better than continuing to try and work around it, making no progress, and then having 3-4 months of recovery/rebuilding to do another 6 months down the road

I would think it is. So many people think more is better but as with many things in life - less is more. When I'm done I get around 12-15 sets total. I would also think anything more than that is dumb unless you're a body builder, or something. I banged out several sets on incline dumbbells with 115 last night so I'd say I kind of know what I'm talking about. That is more than what you'll see from most people at your casual gym. Which reminds me to ask, how is everyone else feeling combining heavy sets and lighter sets together? If I did 115 incline press for 6,7,6 and then 80 for 10 x 3, is that too big of a drop in weight just to get 10 reps? I don't know if I suck at doing higher reps or if its all in my head.

Most people don't understand that lifting is about Stress, Recovery, and Adaptation (SRA). The goal with training is to Stress the body such that homeostasis is disrupted. This Stress must be sufficient enough to disrupt homeostasis, but small enough that the body can Recover and Adapt such that the baseline is moved slightly upward.

The goal of training is to STIMULATE, not annihilate. Doing more volume than necessary to never get past early intermediate levels of strength.

Although this video is about SRA and powerlifting, but the basics of the lecture apply to ALL training.

As for the combo of heavy and light weights, you seem to have it about right based on the accumulated fatigue from the heavy sets proceeding the lighter work.

Dont mess with it, give it a lot of time off. When you feel you are good enough to start again because theres no pain, think again and sit out some more. Been through shoulder pain, it's finally become better some 8-9 months later. But I dont push my shoulders as hard as I used to stil, dont want to risk that again. I can bench perfectly fine now however, just dont risk it with dumbbell shoulder presses anymore.

I'm going to get it checked out soon. For now, I'm going to avoid doing things that make it hurt which are mostly bench and press. Chinups, laterals, and rows don't bother the shoulder at all.

focusing on strength right now, working sets are in the 3-5 rep range. Still put on a little bit of size tho. 4 flat bench, 4 incline both with barbell

If you aren't running AAS, strength work is VERY important for getting bigger. Sets of 5 do a half decent job of putting on size while building tons of strength. Interestingly, from a muscle physiology perspective, if you want to get bigger the optimum weight ranges ranges for size are 5-7RM and 10-12RM working very close to failure (to recruit the largest MU's based on the size principle.)

tl;dr: If you want to get bigger and aren't on gear, training with a pretty even mix of sets of 3-5 and 10-12 is going to yeild some sweet results provided you (1) work really hard and push yourself, (2) have a plan for adding weight to the bar over time, and (3) eat enough.

Edited by Henrik Kesler

I think I know what the issue is and what needs to be done. Based on symptoms and location, I either have a winged acromion (part of the scapula that comes to the clavicle) or a bone spur that binds in the bottom of the bench press. Best guess is that surgery is required and I'll have 3-4 months of recovery time. Either way this is better than continuing to try and work around it, making no progress, and then having 3-4 months of recovery/rebuilding to do another 6 months down the road Most people don't understand that lifting is about Stress, Recovery, and Adaptation (SRA). The goal with training is to Stress the body such that homeostasis is disrupted. This Stress must be sufficient enough to disrupt homeostasis, but small enough that the body can Recover and Adapt such that the baseline is moved slightly upward.The goal of training is to STIMULATE, not annihilate. Doing more volume than necessary to never get past early intermediate levels of strength.Although this video is about SRA and powerlifting, but the basics of the lecture apply to ALL training. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqL_qwV6HwU As for the combo of heavy and light weights, you seem to have it about right based on the accumulated fatigue from the heavy sets proceeding the lighter work. I'm going to get it checked out soon. For now, I'm going to avoid doing things that make it hurt which are mostly bench and press. Chinups, laterals, and rows don't bother the shoulder at all. If you aren't running AAS, strength work is VERY important for getting bigger. Sets of 5 do a half decent job of putting on size while building tons of strength. Interestingly, from a muscle physiology perspective, if you want to get bigger the optimum weight ranges ranges for size are 5-7RM and 10-12RM working very close to failure (to recruit the largest MU's based on the size principle.)tl;dr: If you want to get bigger and aren't on gear, training with a pretty even mix of sets of 3-5 and 10-12 is going to yeild some sweet results provided you (1) work really hard and push yourself, (2) have a plan for adding weight to the bar over time, and (3) eat enough.

Ya im not on any gear. What i do is stick to the 3-5 rep range for the heavy compounds and 10-12 for accessory work. I did bodybuilding style routines for two years but my strength to weight ratio was crap. Also strength training is a lot more enjoyable and rewarding imo.

Ya im not on any gear. What i do is stick to the 3-5 rep range for the heavy compounds and 10-12 for accessory work. I did bodybuilding style routines for two years but my strength to weight ratio was crap. Also strength training is a lot more enjoyable and rewarding imo.

Same here. I love having prescribed work to do, dreading it, and then completing it. Having a concrete, objective goal to shoot for in training makes things so much clearer about what needs to be done in the gym because there is a logical way to get there, and that is through progressive overload.

IMO, typical bodybuilding routines set lifters up for failure because there is no mapped out plan for adding weight to the bar over time which is the single most important factor in getting bigger. If you don't force the body to do an ever increasing work load, progress stagnates.

Same here. I love having prescribed work to do, dreading it, and then completing it. Having a concrete, objective goal to shoot for in training makes things so much clearer about what needs to be done in the gym because there is a logical way to get there, and that is through progressive overload.

IMO, typical bodybuilding routines set lifters up for failure because there is no mapped out plan for adding weight to the bar over time which is the single most important factor in getting bigger. If you don't force the body to do an ever increasing work load, progress stagnates.

You must be a fan of Jim Wendler's layout, I bet?

I used to run Wendler's steadily before I really hurt my back and could actually progress nicely with all my lifts.