The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

White Noise Canucks Talk

Guest Gumballthechewy

Yeah... I'm pretty sure a career average 25 points is better than a career average 7 points. When Tanev's frame has 20+ additional pounds on it and he's putting up 20+ points CONSISTENTLY, we can talk.

I'm not selling him short at all. He's a very good complimentary top 4 D. There is absolutely nothing wrong or negative with that assessment. Overselling him as a top pairing shut down D with "offensive upside" is not being honest with yourselves.

No, you're right in that he'll probably never be a full-time top pair d-man as he stands, but he can move up from the 2nd pair if a situation demanded it. And I'm among those who think he can realistically improve, both physically and skill-wise.

But this whole discussion started with whether or not the Canucks should trade away a very dependable 2nd pair d-man who's only 24 years old and IMO, I don't think they should; at least, not now.

Both Bieksa and Hamhuis are in their 30s and there has to be a line of succession; I think Tanev is critical in that regard. He brings stability to the back end which I think is necessary.

A lot of veteran D will be on the market hence why I want a a young top 6 FWD for Tanev if we trade him.

Boychuk, Green, Carlson and Myers are all RHD defenseman I wouldn't mind to have.

Of the two Caps d-men, you mentioned, Carlson would be the one to go after—not as much offensive upside, but much less of a risk. Green would be a massive gamble—he hasn't found his game since a series of injuries and he's prone to some really bad giveaways (and we can't absorb his cap hit this year anyway).

If he is traded I want a fair return, which I think is a young top 6 forward, and if not then I hope he pans out.

You don't think a young top 4 PMD has equivalent value to a young top 6 forward?

I'd say they're pretty dang equal and IMO the PMD is a greater current need unless you think one of Weber/Sanguenetti have enough talent to fill that roster spot beside Edler? Maybe Benning foresees Sanguenetti having a breakout year...?

If he does indeed fill that role, I'd be happy to move Tanev for a top 6 forward.

Either way, I don't see him fitting with Edler and he'll be overpaid to play on the third. And as you yourself admitted, he's not a top pairing guy (yet, if ever). Ie: he doesn't fit on the team.

Either way, I don't see him fitting with Edler and he'll be overpaid to play on the third. And as you yourself admitted, he's not a top pairing guy (yet, if ever). Ie: he doesn't fit on the team.

Just asking, but you don't think the coaching change will make a difference when it comes to how good or bad the possible top 4 pairings will work? (Assuming the top 4 are some combination of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev and Edler)

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Edler, Sanguenetti

Sbisa, Boychuck?

Just asking, but you don't think the coaching change will make a difference when it comes to how good or bad the possible top 4 pairings will work? (Assuming the top 4 are some combination of Hamhuis, Bieksa, Tanev and Edler)

Edler needs a PMD. Period.

To get the most out of Edler (which we should REALLY want to do), he needs a PMD partner.

From there, good coaching will help them (and the other pairings) to maximize their abilities/performance but you need to have the right pieces or we simply risk allowing Edler's confidence and value to continue to deteriorate.

Or we get a PMD like we had in 2010-2012 (Ehrhoff/Salo) and watch him put up 40-50 points, make All star teams etc.

Hamhuis, Bieksa

Edler, Sanguenetti

Sbisa, Boychuck?

Edler needs a PMD. Period.

To get the most out of Edler (which we should REALLY want to do), he needs a PMD partner.

From there, good coaching will help them (and the other pairings) to maximize their abilities/performance but you need to have the right pieces or we simply risk allowing Edler's confidence and value to continue to deteriorate.

Or we get a PMD like we had in 2010-2012 (Ehrhoff/Salo) and watch him put up 40-50 points, make All star teams etc.

Admittedly, this is where I get confused. If memory serves (and at my age, that's not always the case, so forgive me if I'm wrong), when Edler first came up, he was supposed to be mostly an offensive defenceman with a side of nasty to his game; in other words, he was supposed to become the Canucks' PMD of the future back then.

Plus, most of the recent criticism aimed at Edler is that he no longer seems to be sure which kind of defenceman he's supposed to be. So if Desjardins clarifies his role for him, why can't Edler be the PMD with a steady hand like Bieksa or Tanev covering the back?

Well that sucks doesn't it?

In the immortal words of McCann, it is what it is.

Admittedly, this is where I get confused. If memory serves (and at my age, that's not always the case, so forgive me if I'm wrong), when Edler first came up, he was supposed to be mostly an offensive defenceman with a side of nasty to his game; in other words, he was supposed to become the Canucks' PMD of the future back then.

Plus, most of the recent criticism aimed at Edler is that he no longer seems to be sure which kind of defenceman he's supposed to be. So if Desjardins clarifies his role for him, why can't Edler be the PMD with a steady hand like Bieksa or Tanev covering the back?

Edler never was and never will be a PMD. Offensive d-man =/= PMD.

I always thought Salo was a very poise and defensively sound, like Tanev, but with a rocket of a shot. Not a PMD IMO.

Salo was a hybrid. Poised, sound defensively but also a good skater, good passer, great shot and great offensive instincts.

If you can find us a new, young Salo I'd be all over it like a fat kid on a smartie.

Niskanen's probably a not far off comparable actually.

I also think it shouldn't take the right partner for Edler to play better. Edler is in the NHL and is our most paid defenseman, he should play well regardless of who he is partnered with IMO.

It's a team sport. If you don't put well suited pieces together you get what we had last year.

It's like putting off road mud tires on a Ferrari. You're never going to get that to perform well no matter how hard the Ferrari tries or how good your mechanic is.

Archived