The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelly Sutherland explanation for call on Daniel Sedin

J529

Take it down. I don't care if it's vandalism. I normally don't condone that but he does not deserve to have his name there.

This is the message I sent the Reffing organization.

"The NHL officiating is the worst in all of professional sports. Game after game the officiating is pathetic and all officials should feel absolutely ashamed.

After watching the 2011 SCF I could not imagine that the game could be called any worse than that. Oh how wrong was I. The SJ vs VAN series this year set a new low. Calls in favour of SJ 28-13. If you look in the series whenever there was a 50/50 call it always went in SJ's favour. There is a clear disrespect for NHL players and the rules.

But I am not writing about that. I am writing about the antics of Kelly Sutherland. He has demonstrated a clear bias against the Canucks organization throughout the past few years. In the 2011 SCF he gave a Canuck player a 10 minute misconduct for pointing out that he had just been punched in the face repeatedly. He gave the Canucks coach a penalty this season for saying "That was an elbow," when the other coach clearly was saying much worse. The reason given by Kerry Fraser (retired referee) for this call was that it was based on the relationship between the official and the coach. That is the most insane thing I have heard. Calling a penalty because you don't like a player or coach. That kind of garbage wouldn't be accepted in a pickup shinny hockey game, let alone a PROFESSIONAL LEAGUE. Game four of the SJ/VAN series was called by Sutherland again, and he really set a new bar for biased officiating. It was so biased I suspect someone is paying him cash to blow calls. It wasn't just one or two, it was more. Vancouver received weak penalties for the exact same plays that the SJ players made. There was multiple hits from behind and boarding incidents that went uncalled (largely because the VAN players didn't embellish those plays), but as soon as the game is on the line they call them against VAN? Those calls would be considered extremely 50/50 in a regular season game, let alone OT in an elimination playoff game. The worst part is on the final call, Sutherland made the call from centre ice from where he could barely see the hit, yet the other official (Lee) didn't even flinch. Clear bias has been demonstrated, and I want to let you know that your organizations and individual officials have zero integrity and shame the game of hockey. I have no respect for you and I hope you feel ashamed for your pathetic organization."

Too strongly worded?

There is a major issue with doing the same thing as the Bruins... if we even lift a finger, touch, breathe on a opposing player we go shorthanded with this kind of reffing...

I will support Canucks as a fan, but I will not support the NHL franchise...

I have a feeling the Canucks organization will lose a ton of revenue and we might actually start seeing games which are not actually sold out... Every season ticket holder I know will not renew their tickets for the next season. They are all saying its not worth the price to support a bush league and see a non inspiring/boring team play... there are cheaper alternatives with more action then supporting a league which doesn't treat all teams in the same matter.

We can argue all day in regards to the loss of Salo/Erhoff/Samuelsson and how it hindered our goal production, however I see a different picture with the Sedins and the rest of this core group... they have not been the same after the Boston series and that was a poorly officiated series which I'm sure it still haunts the team mentally.

Yep. It's all on you. By the way we need you to do it at least once a week until he quits or the NHL fires him.

Also if he ever comes out of the house in anger that is your chance to egg him in the face.

*Mods should know I'm mostly joking*

Were I in Charge of the officials I would make every single one of them sit down in a classroom and Write a test, Those who fail, Don't ref,

I would give them situations with real player names but not team names

and I would

Example questions

What is Rule XXX.XX

If Logan Coture is behind the net and Sidney crosby raises his stick at an angle of 30 degrees and applies a slash to his hand what is the call

Then later in the test when the guy has forgotten the question was asked earlier

If Logan Coture is behind the net and Alex Burrows raises his stick at an angle of 30 degrees and applies a slash to his hand what is the call

Then we see if the ref has answered the duplicated questions in a different way depending on a bias toward some player or another

If Bias is detected, Or if he fails the Knowlege of rules section of the test he doesn't get to ref

I don't know but if I screwed up at my job consistently they wouldn't let me keep my job very long.

These 3 happened on the same day. Sutherland is the only one to call a penalty (in OT no less with the ref who was standing 10 feet from the play not calling anything). He should be kicked out of 2nd round reffing so that other teams don't get subjected to his poor judgement.

ibhnYSdU2DK5We.gif

iSGFoQvFptcem.gif

is81scEUbvYsc.gif

These 3 happened on the same day. Sutherland is the only one to call a penalty (in OT no less with the ref who was standing 10 feet from the play not calling anything). He should be kicked out of 2nd round reffing so that other teams don't get subjected to his poor judgement.

ibhnYSdU2DK5We.gif

iSGFoQvFptcem.gif

is81scEUbvYsc.gif

ibhnYSdU2DK5We.gif

iSGFoQvFptcem.gif

is81scEUbvYsc.gif

Archived