The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kelly Sutherland explanation for call on Daniel Sedin

J529

Nothing. In fact Pacioretty/Chara at full speed was again a clean hit, I watched that game live and the slow mo replay makes that hit look worse than it is. Especially the skewed angle that looks like Chara pushes his head into the stanchion even though his arm is in fact 6 inches or so away from his head. Add to the fact the hit started over half way acorss the bench at nearly full speed, It was a clean hit with an unfortunate result which led to much needed improvements to the stanchions at benches.

I'm sick of the anti Bruin blinders people have around here. Yes they can be a dirty team but that doesn't mean EVERYTHING they do is dirty

Clean play=clean hit not too hard to comprehend. Boychuck was finishing his check if he doesn't make that play and the Canucks socre he's benched. It was a clean play with a terrible result bottom line.

My opinion is not ridiculous in fact it was widely talked about as a clean play/hit with an unforunate result by nearly everyone except *gasp* Canuck fans and media...

Except for the fact that Boychuk use an illegal manouver (the can opener - stick between the legs causing the player to spin) which is how Raymond ended up backwards and off balance in the first place.

Look closely at the video and you see it happen. Watch from 00:28 of the video, and tell me this was a clean hit.

Well, I hope no one would be violent, but at the same time, I hope everyone makes his life hard to live around here with constant harassment. If I was in a store lineup, I'd say, "2 minutes for holding me up" and if he talked back I'd say, "that's it, 10min misconduct for mouthing me off"

Voice your opinion, make him ashamed, but do it within reason, he's still a human being....barely

You are simply blind then. You can clearly see Boychuk use his stick to spin Raymond and throw him off balance. He is responsible for putting Raymond in that vulnerable position using an illegal move, thus he should be responsible for the result of the hit. Just because you dont think it was doesnt mean it wasnt.

Kelly Sutherland does not see hockey the same way as Don Cherry.

On HNIC tonight during the Leafs game Don had very little to say regarding the last 2 calls against the Canucks, it was basically a shame he couldn't believe the calls were made. it is what he didn't say regarding the over the top difference between calls for and against the Canucks, it seems deep down he knows the truth but his lips are sealed fearing the loss of his job if he says what he wants to say.

And the league and most analysts said it was just an unfortunate result. At worst you could make a case for hooking, but even that would be a borderline call because the stick was only there for half a second.

It wasn't malicious and Boychuck even reached out to Raymond to apologize. It was a hockey play with a bad result.

But the Bruins are dirty regardless here so I wouldn't expect objectivity here in Vancouver on that subject.

Kelly Sutherland does not see hockey the same way as Don Cherry.

On HNIC tonight during the Leafs game Don had very little to say regarding the last 2 calls against the Canucks, it was basically a shame he couldn't believe the calls were made. it is what he didn't say regarding the over the top difference between calls for and against the Canucks, it seems deep down he knows the truth but his lips are sealed fearing the loss of his job if he says what he wants to say.

i think you are confused. Rome reached out to Horton via text. that apparently wasn't good enough for the Bruins. When asked after the series if boychuck had tried to reach him he sadi "not to my knowledge."

If somebody can post the YouTube link it would be great. Say what you will about Cherry he is not one whos afraid of losing his job. This is more or less what I had expected him to say: not much. He said he didn't agree with the calls and really that's all we could've hoped for from him.

Thanks for standing up for us at least a little bit Grapes....

Boston's PR guy said he reached out but did not receive a response. And previously when Boychuk injured Shea Weber with a hit he called him in the hospital. Johnny Boychuk has been a respectable player his entire career and I don't see him or believing the Bruins lying about it as he has a proven history of reaching out to Weber after an unfortunate result.

maybe he did, maybe he didn't. i don't know for sure. i am just going on what mayray said after the series when he talked to the media before leaving town for the summer. maybe he didn't. as for the Bruins PR guy. he has spent a lot of time bullting to the media about the tactics of his team. i take everything coming out of his mouth with a grain of salt.

And the league and most analysts said it was just an unfortunate result. At worst you could make a case for hooking, but even that would be a borderline call because the stick was only there for half a second.

It wasn't malicious and Boychuck even reached out to Raymond to apologize. It was a hockey play with a bad result.

But the Bruins are dirty regardless here so I wouldn't expect objectivity here in Vancouver on that subject.

It doesnt matter how long the stick was there, you just dont get it. Thats the point of the can opener. It can be performed quickly to throw a player off balance and you can get away with it pretty easliy since it happens so fast. He used an illegal manouver to spin Raymond which is what caused the 'bad result'. Just as Romes hit was not illegal per say, it was extremely late and thus the player was vulnerable when the hit was made. If Boychuck simply rides Raymond into the boards, Raymond doesnt break his back. Obviously Boychuck didnt mean to break his back, but that doesnt make him any less responsible for his actions.

Some people actually saw this play for what it was.

Archived