The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Canucks coach talk. Keep all talk here.

MJDDawg

As per Elliotte Friedman:

@FriedgeHNIC: Hotstove notes: VAN has asked TOR for permission to interview Dallas Eakins. EDM expected to begin contract talks soon with Sam Gagner...

Here's a wild scenario:

Canucks and Leafs work out a deal for Luongo for Eakins. Not just straight up. There would be other assets included in the deal.

You mean the master mind of the 1 3 1 defensive formation? You really want this?

Philly didn't seem to have an answer for it. Note the offensive zone face off the Bolts were awarded after the refs got tired of Philly arsing around.

http://www.hockeybuz...26#.UZ7OoqLMC8A

Worth a read. I'm not saying I'd want him as coach but he is more than that ~1min youtube clip that is so easily found floating around social media.

As per Elliotte Friedman:

@FriedgeHNIC: Hotstove notes: VAN has asked TOR for permission to interview Dallas Eakins. EDM expected to begin contract talks soon with Sam Gagner...

Since TO hates Van ... do you think they would say no.

Worth a read. I'm not saying I'd want him as coach but he is more than that ~1min youtube clip that is so easily found floating around social media.

Sure, let's give him a chance. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and both MG and Guy will be looking for work next year.

Don't let you blind hatred toward AV impair your reasoning. AV is in no way to blame for any of this teams's woes. The responsibility lies with Gillis, ownership, Kesler, the Twins, Bettman, poor officiating, Raymond falling down, global warming, Obama Care, Luongo, Bieksa, Eastern Bias, and a variety of flu-like symptoms picked up on a weekend getaway in Spain.

AV bearing any responsibility is a myth. Anyone who is not in agreement with this clearly logical conclusion is not only an idiot, but has let their blind hatred for AV cloud their ability to come to the correct conclusion.

Since TO hates Van ... do you think they would say no.

Probably, then Eakins would just interview anyway and if offered the job would take it. Apparently there is a clause in his contract that says he can explore coaching options once the Marlies are eliminated but no during the season.

So the Canucks asking is likely more of a courtesy than anything else. And I would not doubt that Gillis is also using it as a media leak to let people know without saying so that he is considering guys already.

I can just see Nonis telling him he has to give him Luongo to talk to Eakins.....haha

No Matter who the next coach is he'll be an upgrade to AV, who was strictly a systems guy, had little imagination and displayed no passion.

Who wouldn't want a Tippet or a Robinson but are they available? perhaps. The only guys that have experience and would command respect from a room full of veterans one season removed from winning the Presidents Trophy, and that you know are available, are Ruff and Brent Sutter, maybe a Carbonneau.

Dallas Eakins sounds like a strong candidate, but do you think Gillis is going to go with a rookie when his job is on the line? The coach that walks into that room, has to own it right out of the gate or you'll see a Guy Boucher replay.

Looks like the frontrunners are Dallas Eakins and John Stevens.

I'd prefer TED NOLAN

LINDY RUFF

DAVE TIPPETT

TOM RENNEY

Brad May@maydayhockey22 May

@PrisonBull @TEAM1040 #Canuck I love Ted Nolan. He was my favorite coach. I can't imagine him getting this job though? But who knows?

Jesse Spector The Sporting News

@PrisonBull asks: “thoughts on Latvia’s head coach, Ted Nolan, as possible Canuck coach?”

I’ve never understood why Nolan hasn’t gotten a better shot as an NHL head coach. He had two tumultuous two-year runs, with the Sabres in 1995-96 and 1996-97, then with the Islanders in 2006-07 and 2007-08. He made one playoff appearance with each team. I don’t know how he’d play in a Canadian market with all the scrutiny that entails, but if Nolan is interested in a third go-around in the NHL, he has shown an ability to get more out of a team on the ice than you’d expect on paper. Maybe, at the age of 55, he has mellowed a bit, too. I saw him on the ice last year after the Kings won the Cup, and he was a proud dad to his son, Jordan. I thought about asking whether he wanted another crack at getting his name on the Cup, but decided it would be better to just let him enjoy the moment and keep it about his son.

Looks like the frontrunners are Dallas Eakins and John Stevens.

I'd prefer TED NOLAN

LINDY RUFF

DAVE TIPPETT

TOM RENNEY

Brad May@maydayhockey22 May

@PrisonBull @TEAM1040 #Canuck I love Ted Nolan. He was my favorite coach. I can't imagine him getting this job though? But who knows?

Jesse Spector The Sporting News

@PrisonBull asks: “thoughts on Latvia’s head coach, Ted Nolan, as possible Canuck coach?”

I’ve never understood why Nolan hasn’t gotten a better shot as an NHL head coach. He had two tumultuous two-year runs, with the Sabres in 1995-96 and 1996-97, then with the Islanders in 2006-07 and 2007-08. He made one playoff appearance with each team. I don’t know how he’d play in a Canadian market with all the scrutiny that entails, but if Nolan is interested in a third go-around in the NHL, he has shown an ability to get more out of a team on the ice than you’d expect on paper. Maybe, at the age of 55, he has mellowed a bit, too. I saw him on the ice last year after the Kings won the Cup, and he was a proud dad to his son, Jordan. I thought about asking whether he wanted another crack at getting his name on the Cup, but decided it would be better to just let him enjoy the moment and keep it about his son.

I can understand with Tippett and Yotes situation, they don't want to wait that long, but not to even interview and consider Ruff is a head scratcher and flat out stupid. Tom Renney was actually on their list? Why? He was awful when he coached in Vancouver.

Pretty embarrassing if John Stevens is the hire. Doesn't surprise me if he goes for someone like that.

That list means absolutely nothing. They haven't even started the interview process, and will likely wait till after the playoffs to explore all their options.

Elliotte Friedman said that it's going to be a long process and that they'll likely interview a long list of candidates. For someone to pretend there's already a shortlist is ridiculous.

If either Stevens or Eakins are interviewed it will likely be for an assistant position. I don't think either have done enough to be a head coach right now.

I would expect MG to name a new coach by draft day at the latest, he'll probably be forced to move sooner, before some other team steals his man.

Jim Nill is on the hunt for Dallas, where some think AV will land, We'll see.

I'm serious about bringing Quinn back. Has nothing to do being nostalgic about 1994. He's recently stated he missed the game and would like to come back. Pat is best coach Canucks have ever had. He brought respectability to Vancouver when they were in the bottom of the league.

Look around the NHL and some coaches have returned to former teams for a second time. Michel Therrien in Montreal.

Your argument about Quinn is like saying Scotty Bowman is too old to return to coach or GM.

Um, no, Pat Quinn is NOT the best coach we've ever had. We actually just fired the best coach we ever had. I'm not saying we shouldn't have fired AV—even the best coaches have a limited shelf-life when staying with a team.

The Therrien example you state doesn't apply because Therrien's 20 years younger—his knowledge of the game is current.

And in case you've forgotten, the Oilers tried bringing Quinn back in desperation a few years ago and that experiment failed so badly, they let Tom Renney replace him.

It doesn't matter one bit if Quinn says he misses the game and would like to come back. Hell, I miss being young too and I'd love to be able to do all the things I did back in the day. Doesn't mean it's realistic.

And yes, Scotty Bowman IS too old to return as a coach or GM—the guy's 79 years old.

Um, no, Pat Quinn is NOT the best coach we've ever had. We actually just fired the best coach we ever had. I'm not saying we shouldn't have fired AV—even the best coaches have a limited shelf-life when staying with a team.

The Therrien example you state doesn't apply because Therrien's 20 years younger—his knowledge of the game is current.

And in case you've forgotten, the Oilers tried bringing Quinn back in desperation a few years ago and that experiment failed so badly, they let Tom Renney replace him.

It doesn't matter one bit if Quinn says he misses the game and would like to come back. Hell, I miss being young too and I'd love to be able to do all the things I did back in the day. Doesn't mean it's realistic.

And yes, Scotty Bowman IS too old to return as a coach or GM—the guy's 79 years old.

Statistically speaking yes AV is the best coach, but Quinn is the best coach Canucks having built a weak franchise and turned it into respectability. I do remember Quinn coaching Oilers and if you recall the team wasn't very good. You can't put all the blame on Quinn for it not working out. Toronto wanted Scotty Bowman a few years back, but wouldn't give him full control he wanted. To say Bowman is too old to be GM is ridiculous statement. If Gillis was fired tomorrow and Bowman was hired to replace him, he could turn Canucks around and turn them into a Cup Contender in short order.

Statistically speaking yes AV is the best coach, but Quinn is the best coach Canucks having built a weak franchise and turned it into respectability. I do remember Quinn coaching Oilers and if you recall the team wasn't very good. You can't put all the blame on Quinn for it not working out. Toronto wanted Scotty Bowman a few years back, but wouldn't give him full control he wanted. To say Bowman is too old to be GM is ridiculous statement. If Gillis was fired tomorrow and Bowman was hired to replace him, he could turn Canucks around and turn them into a Cup Contender in short order.

I think your memory is somewhat skewed. In the '94 cup run, we were considered a team on the decline—we had better regular season records the two years previous to that. While the beauty of the '94 run was that the team we had over-achieved, the fact is that they also under-achieved the two years previous to that.

OK, fair enough about Edmonton, but Quinn didn't exactly turn the Leafs into a Cup contender either when he got that job. And back then, there was no salary cap and the Leafs were allowed to spend money on players like drunken sailors. The point is, there's a reason why no one's lining up to hire him.

And you're wrong about the Leafs and Bowman—that was nothing but a silly rumour. Bowman was never a serious candidate because it was well known that Bowman did not want the workload of being a GM. In other words, even Bowman thought he was too old to be a GM anymore.

Believe me, the Leafs would have given Bowman the keys to the city if they thought they could have lured him out of retirement. Besides, they gave Burke full control and autonomy and Burke's nowhere near Bowman's status.

I don't think Pat Quinn is an option as the new coach, but I totally agree that he's the best coach the Canucks ever had.

AV might have more wins with an elite team that dominated the NHL statistically for two years, but no one can debate that Quinn took a team that barely made the playoffs in 94 and forced a stacked NY Rangers/oilers team with an unlimited budget to game 7 and went down fighting to the bitter end. They weren't expected to win and they weren't humiliated on home ice. AV's teams were always unprepared and

chronically underperformed in embarrassing fashion year after. So let's get real.

The more I think about Ruff as coach, the more I dislike it. I don`t think we want an older coach.

There`s a reason why coaches that win the cup are in their late 40`s most of the time. It`s because they`re still relatively new in their careers in the NHL for the most part, and likely still have the passion it takes to lead a team to a cup.

A guy like Ruff has been around so long, he may have lost most of his spark for coaching after all these years. Years of putting up with the NHL`s bs, and getting cheated out of a cup may have jaded him quite a bit.

I don't think Pat Quinn is an option as the new coach, but I totally agree that he's the best coach the Canucks ever had.

AV might have more wins with an elite team that dominated the NHL statistically for two years, but no one can debate that Quinn took a team that barely made the playoffs in 94 and forced a stacked NY Rangers/oilers team with an unlimited budget to game 7 and went down fighting to the bitter end. They weren't expected to win and they weren't humiliated on home ice. AV's teams were always unprepared and

chronically underperformed in embarrassing fashion year after. So let's get real.

What about the two seasons before '94 when we were expected to contend and got upset in the second round two years in a row? Wasn't that under-performing?

Nostalgia through rose-tinted glasses.

Archived