The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

Share away guys! Not much will be happening over the next little while anyways, most teams are in holding patterns now to see how camp shakes out before much more is done.

I know my grandfather was in WW2, but as far as details, I don't have any. I don't know why, I just never asked and nobody ever brought it up. I should though.

Aside from fathers passing, what got me interested once again in my grandfathers history is that I inherited his medals from Finnland, the war of independance, the civil war and the world war all raged in Finland at the same time, more or less, and so these medals are literally the first ones in Modern Finnish history. the very first medal of the bunch looks almost home made, but I had it authenticated at the infantry museum of Helsinki, and it is in fact one of the very first medals issued by the White Finns, who would be the victors of the civil war, that launched mid war of independance, and of course the war of independence. It was issued to Grenadiers who volunteered from Vaasa, one of the first units of official military for Finnland. It proved to be very valuable money wise, but I will never ever sell this medal, or any of them. Several, according to my dad were pinned on my grandfather by Mannerheim himself, so that is something, as they were friendly with each other, I believe the truth of it. I have only two photos of my grandfather, but one of them is taken in the same house and sitting in the same scene as an easy to find photo of Mannerheim on the internet, again lending credence to the idea they were closer than simply a soldier would be to a general. It is really neat heritage stuff that I want to document well for the next generations of my family. I should get to work on that, haha.

Share away guys! Not much will be happening over the next little while anyways, most teams are in holding patterns now to see how camp shakes out before much more is done.

I know my grandfather was in WW2, but as far as details, I don't have any. I don't know why, I just never asked and nobody ever brought it up. I should though.

my grandfather never really talked about this time...only when i saked about

only things i know is that he was at the western front and that he drove trucks for the us army in his time as P.O.W.

My highschool friend Kurt asking his grandfather, who was a German soldier, about the war:

Kurt: Opa, how come you never tell me about the war?

Grandad: What do you want to know, Kurt? What it's like to clean your friend's brains off of a wall?

Kurt: Nope! That's enough.

That pretty much sums it up.

/edit: side note, they used a spent German artillery shell as an umbrella stand.

My highschool friend Kurt asking his grandfather, who was a German soldier, about the war:

Kurt: Opa, how come you never tell me about the war?

Grandad: What do you want to know, Kurt? What it's like to clean your friend's brains off of a wall?

Kurt: Nope! That's enough.

That pretty much sums it up.

/edit: side note, they used a spent German artillery shell as an umbrella stand.

lol

Now if only it were as easy to solve the riddle of Brett Carson, Radek Dvorak and Maxim Shalunov. Three players on my minor league roster who as of today still don't have any hockey contract for the 13-14 season, in any country!! Play or play not, but please make an announcement you guys! lol

well i have not to complain about minor players but 2 important pieces of my team are still with no contract

i hope morrow and hodgson signs soon lol

curious if macenauer wil lalso go to europe though

Still waiting on Mason Raymond to sign somewhere. Surprised that he's not already to be honest. He doesn't get any credit around here of course, but he had a pretty good year last year, 10 goals 22 points in 46 games. Everyone seems to want him to score 75 points on the 2nd line, but in reality, 40 points is average production for a 2nd line type player in the NHL. And then throw in the fact he played a lot on the 3rd and 4th lines as well over the last few years. A good PK player with lots of speed and experience. Sure he has his faults as well but he's definitely a serviceable player for a team that wants forward depth and offense.

Still waiting on Mason Raymond to sign somewhere. Surprised that he's not already to be honest. He doesn't get any credit around here of course, but he had a pretty good year last year, 10 goals 22 points in 46 games. Everyone seems to want him to score 75 points on the 2nd line, but in reality, 40 points is average production for a 2nd line type player in the NHL. And then throw in the fact he played a lot on the 3rd and 4th lines as well over the last few years. A good PK player with lots of speed and experience. Sure he has his faults as well but he's definitely a serviceable player for a team that wants forward depth and offense.

yup ...allways liked him ...some people just expect to much from some players but they dont realize how hard the job of a pro hockey player is

I am no fan of him, but I know he is an NHL calibre of player, surprised he has not been signed somewhere yet. My guess is one season overseas or in the minors or ??? and then into a slot on a non contender where he would be top six material. My guess for this year is that all the teams we think would gobble him up are full on 'those guys' already in their contract structure.

I thought it was very clever of him to take the cup with him to finalize the deal, in case management forgot why they were about to sign up to pay him 36 million, a good reminder, right there in the chair beside him. haha. Well Done.

Yeah that was pretty funny. :P

Good for Corey. Though am I the only one who feels that was a bit of an overpayment on the Blackhawks part?

Maybe a bit. But he's proven to be a really solid goaltender and really was the Hawks MVP throughout the playoffs, plus he's just an awesome guy, can't root against him :P

Good for Corey. Though am I the only one who feels that was a bit of an overpayment on the Blackhawks part?

It depends how much the car rises over the next couple of years.

If the cap goes up to, say, $74 mil after two more off seasons, how many starting goalies will there be in the NHL making under $5.5 mil?

Lou and ???

six years from now it will be below average for a starting goalie. already there is a dozen within 1.5m of him...and as i said earlier, it is hard to face the goalie literally sitting beside not just his agent, but the actual stanley cup he just won. That move in itself is worth 6m a year, hahaha...

...and as for the cap, the lockout last year was not about a 63.4 m cap and the 50/50 split on this season. It was about the split on season after season after season where revenues rose in each and every year of the previous CBA, we are talking a billion dollars worth at 7% in just a handful of seasons more. I predict the cap will rise in every year, and while it may not hit 70m a year from today, it will get over 80 and maybe to 90 million by the end of the CBA...all that money has to be spent somewhere and if the cap is 80m in 6 years..what is a starter worth?

Archived