The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

Keeping with tradition the Buffalo Sabres moved heaven and earth to pick in the top 5 of the CDCGML entry draft.

While the decision to move Drew Doughty was a tough one, we just couldn't afford him with the salary cap going down. Moving Drew mean we had to pick up some major pieces to make it worth it and that's exactly what we did.

Drafting outstanding forward Jonathan Drouin, we now have an excellent future waiting in the wings (Filip Forsberg, Joel Armia and Tyler Biggs). The icing on the cake was acquiring the skilled forward Tyler Bozak. The Sabres now have many options down the middle with Giroux, Pavelski, Berglund and the afformentioned Bozak.

What an exciting day in the City of Lights!

Updated Lineup:

Voracek - Giroux - Williams

Landeskog - Berglund - Pavelski

Conacher - Bozak - ______

______ - Dywer - Rinaldo

______ - ______

Letang - Green

Boyle - ______

Corvo - Gudbranson

______

Luongo

Ellis

Draft is one of the parts of the CDCGML that I enjoy most.

At least, until you scooped my guy up at 20, and then my plans B, C and D went immediately after. :lol:

Sorry :bigblush:

My plan was Morrissey at 20 and Pageau at 40... Pretty pumped it actually happened! Also had Hurley in the 40s so glad to have snagged a 3rd and picked him up.

Keeping with tradition the Buffalo Sabres moved heaven and earth to pick in the top 5 of the CDCGML entry draft.

While the decision to move Drew Doughty was a tough one, we just couldn't afford him with the salary cap going down. Moving Drew mean we had to pick up some major pieces to make it worth it and that's exactly what we did.

Drafting outstanding forward Jonathan Drouin, we now have an excellent future waiting in the wings (Filip Forsberg, Joel Armia and Tyler Biggs). The icing on the cake was acquiring the skilled forward Tyler Bozak. The Sabres now have many options down the middle with Giroux, Pavelski, Berglund and the afformentioned Bozak.

What an exciting day in the City of Lights!

Updated Lineup:

Voracek - Giroux - Williams

Landeskog - Berglund - Pavelski

Conacher - Bozak - ______

______ - Dywer - Rinaldo

______ - ______

Letang - Green

Boyle - ______

Corvo - Gudbranson

______

Luongo

Ellis

Only you could move Doughty and still have an amazing d-core. Screw you man. Screw you.

The Tampa Bay Lightning franchise took a turn for the better today with the conclusion of today's draft. After high expectations last season and the gamble of trading away all of this season and next season's picks, the team managed to wheel and deal, receiving 3 picks entering this draft.

With the first of our initial 3 picks, we took Madison Bowey, coming from a solid junior organization known for developing elite NHL defenseman. With Bowey we get a young, big, two-way defenseman that has all the tools to become a great NHL player for many years.

We actually moved down with our second pick (28th to 33rd) and managed to draft hulking defenseman Samuel Morin from the Oceanic, our first pick from the Q since Tomas Jurco. Morin joins Tampa's formula of big defenseman who can skate (see Taylor Doherty and Victor Hedman). Morin will be a solid two-way defenseman we can rely on for long term toughness that was lost in another draft-day deal. Trading down also provides us with another pick next season and some versatility going forward.

With the 29th pick, we selected an interesting prospect in Justin Bailey. We love his athletic background (his father was an NFL player) and his early interaction with hockey, having worked with the likes of Pat LaFontaine and living close to Rob Ray, Michael Peca, and Matthew Barnaby. With the proper coaching staff facilitating his development, we hope to harness his raw talent.

And finally, with a trade from yesterday, we acquired a 3rd round pick, the 73rd overall, for Mike Brown (the toughness and character of which we will miss). This pick translated into Chris Tierney, a player GM y0shi has been eyeing very closely all season. Tierney, who was seen as a reach last season playing mostly 4th line minutes, has since shown off the offensive side of his game and solid development, earning him an ELC with a team not known to sign their draft picks so soon. Tierney will be a step ahead in the development curve and preparing for his FOURTH season with the London Knights.

Long story short, what began as a night of "winging it" turned out to be a spectacular night for the Lightning, picking up two forwards and two defensemen who have high end potential on their development curves. Now it's up to us to put these kids in the best situation to succeed.

Updated Tampa Roster

Moulson - Tavares - Okposo

Grigorenko - Hertl - Brunner

________ - Sheppard - Havlat

Larsson - Desjardins Morin

Johnson

Josi - Hedman

Gilbert - Oduya

Tennyson - De Haan

Price

Minors:

_____ - Hamilton - Jurco

Acolatse - Tommernes

Doherty

Hellberg

Picks

2014 CAR, TB, LAK

Unsigned:

2012: Aberg, Schmaltz, Marcantuoni, Iafrate

2013: Bowey, Bailey, Morin, Tierney

Minnesota is thrilled to draft Laurent Dauphin in the 2nd round. Considering the trade made moments later we are happy to be able to replace departed F Mark Jankowski in our prospect pool. We feel we got a solid young prospect that brings the attributes we want in a young player.

martin_dauphin_team_orr_011613.jpg

Laurent Dauphin has proved he can score — now it's all about the finer points.

The shifty centre was a poster child for steadily moving up the hockey ladder during his rookie season with the Chicoutimi Saguéneens. Coming in as a 17-year-old, the 6-foot, 166-pound Dauphin finished fifth in rookie scoring by tallying 25 goals and 57 points, including a league-high nine game-winners, across 62 games for a young Sags outfit that finished in the middle of the QMJHL pack. The Repentigny, Que., native also held his own in showcase events; he was named a top player during the CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game after being added as an injury replacement just 48 hours before puckdrop and was also a top-six forward and power-play contributor while helping Canada win the IIHF world U18 championship for the first time in five years.

Dauphin, ranked 28th among domestic skaters by NHL Central Scouting, could prove to be a good value pick if his acceleration and physicality progress once he becomes a drafted player.

"Next year, for sure, I need to improve my physical game," Dauphin says. "Be more explosive in my legs and stronger in battles along the walls. I'm not so afraid of it. There's time to do that; you cannot train your height, but you can train your weight.

"It's always about energy for me," Dauphin adds when asked if any aspect of his first season with Chicoutimi was a letdown. "I was a little down toward the end of the season, and hopefully I can work on that."

The foursome ahead of Dauphin in the rookie scoring race — Baie-Comeau's Gabryel Paquin-Boudreau and Valentin Zykov, Moncton's Ivan Barbashev and Rimouski's Frédérik Gauthier, Dauphin's former midget teammate — each played on more successful teams. As a centre, one question with Dauphin over the years to come will be his ability and willingness to distribute the puck, so it might be worth keeping an eye on how much he can improve on his first-season total of 32 assists.

On the other hand, the likely second-rounder has shown he can deliver in the higher-stakes game. As a 16-year-old, Dauphin, along with Gauthier, helped the Collège Esther-Blondin Phenix win the silver medal at the Canadian midget championship. That extra year of minor hockey with coach Paulin Bordeleau helped launch him into the QMJHL waters.

"I went to Chicoutimi with the thought in mind to prove to everybody that I had a place there, even if I didn't play as a 16-year-old like the others," he says.

1. It didn't get a ton of media attention, but how do you look back on having helped Canada capture the world under-18 championship earlier this season?

"It's tougher to win that tournament than the world junior. You're missing guys such as [Nathan] MacKinnon, [Jonathan] Drouin, who are still in their playoffs. The U.S. has its full team. We were very proud to win. It was a good experience. I was in triple-A [midget] with [Rimouski centre Frédérik] Gauthier. I made friends with [Charlottetown's Yan-Pavel] Laplante. It was amazing to play with Connor McDavid, too. That was a great opportunity."

2. Which NHL player(s) do you watch closely because his, or their, style of game is similar to your own?

I like [the Boston Bruins'] Patrice Bergeron — he's a two-way forward who really competes hard and is good when there's a situation with a high level of pressure.

3. Hockey is so all-consuming; what is something you like to do to get a mental break from it?

"Probably just take it easy. Go play pool. Or be with my teammates. I have to do so much school because I'm in science. I take a lot of math, chemistry, just to keep every door open at the university level. My mother [Manon St-Jean] is a chartered accountant, my brother's a chartered accountant and my dad [François Dauphin] is a general manager for a small city [Val-David, Que., pop. 5,000] so education is very important in our family."

4. Other than the Saguenéens, who has the nicest jersey in the Q?

"I think I like the black Halifax jersey the best."

5. If hockey did not exist, what sport would you play?

"Probably football, or basketball. I played football for a couple years when I was younger — linebacker or defensive back."

Updated Florida Panthers Roster: (Probably was lost in the old thread with all of the activity today c2x)

James Neal - Jonathan Toews - Chris Stewart

Brandon Saad - Patrick Kane - David Perron

Alex Burmistrov - Charlie Coyle - Tyler Toffoli

Matt Martin - Gregory Campbell - Chris Neil

Oli Ekman-Larsson - Erik Karlsson

Justin Schultz - Matt Niskanen

Mark Fraser - Adam McQuaid

David Rundblad - Ryan Stanton

Corey Crawford

Darcy Kuemper

Anaheim Ducks Mini Update

Alexei Ponikarovsky - Scott Gomez - Tim Jackman

* temp. 4th line

Duncan Keith - Drew Doughty

California Golden Seals Mini Update

Michael Haley sent down - no waivers

Mark Eaton sent down - no waivers

* no waivers as I'm not planning to buy them out..

??? - Tim Connolly - Mark Stone

??? - Eric O'Dell - Phillip Danault

??? - Marek Viedensky - ???

Michael Haley - Alexandre Bolduc - Danick Paquette

Derek Forbort - Mark Eaton

Nathan McIver - Dylan Reese

??? - Brent Regner

We hope we made the right move there . Curtis is small but he has improved this Season...so we remain hopefully.

For Curtis Valk, the road to success hasn't been a sprint. More like a nice walk that has turned into a gradual jog, and continues to pick up speed as he goes.

After two seasons of waiting for his opportunity, the 5-foot-9, 160-pound Medicine Hat forward has made the most of it. He's seventh in the Western Hockey League with 32 goals and 10th with 67 points, and his 11 power-play goals lead the team.

"I think his commitment and his hockey sense and his work ethic have allowed him to gradually become the player that he's become," Medicine Hat coach Shaun Clouston told NHL.com. "It always seems like it’s a breakout, but we've seen him at 17 and at 18 and now at 19. For the outsiders it's like all of a sudden something changed, but for me he's continually worked at getting better and better, and now everything is lined up -- the opportunity, a little bit of extra strength. He understands how he has to play. It's just been a great season for him."

Valk_Tigers2_325.jpgCurtis Valk is seventh in the WHL with 32 goals and 10th with 67 points, and his 11 power-play goals lead the Tigers. (Photo: Randy J. Feere)

Things are going well for Valk now, but they didn't start that way. When he joined the team full-time as a 17-year-old for the 2009-10 season, he struggled with just 17 points in 56 games, and occasionally found himself a healthy scratch.

"I think that was really challenging for him," Clouston said. "It was really challenging for him to be in and out of the lineup, which he was a little bit at 17. I think in minor hockey he was a very offensive guy. To not be in the lineup every night, to not be on the power play, it was really challenging."

Clouston never lost faith in Valk's abilities, but knew the player's ability to adjust to the way he had to play to be successful in the WHL wouldn't come overnight.

Last season, though, Valk started to put things together, and finished third on the team with 24 goals and 55 points in 67 games.

"Last year he definitely made big strides, became a player we counted on, made his way into the top nine [forwards] and ultimately top six, a regular on the power play," Clouston said.

However, his size and explosive teammates Emerson Etem and Hunter Shinkaruk overshadowed him a bit, and NHL teams bypassed him in his initial year of NHL Draft eligibility.

"In the back of my mind I knew I probably wouldn't go," Valk told NHL.com. "Everyone wants to go, you watch the draft and hope your name will pop up, [but] I wasn't too upset about it. There were a lot of guys in that draft that are good players. It just motivates you."

Over the summer Valk spent time in Minnesota at a camp run by Philadelphia Flyers forward Scott Hartnell. Working out on and off the ice with professionals like Hartnell and T.J. Oshie of the St. Louis Blues provided just the kind of motivation Valk needed.

"Being able to skate with those guys and watch them on the ice is pretty neat," Valk said. "You can learn a lot by just watching guys like that. … The camp is pretty intense. I've been down there a couple years now. It's a good atmosphere. There's a lot of NHL guys, junior guys, and you all train together. The intensity, the tempo, guys push each other. You never want to be that guy that's falling behind. You always want to one-up the guy next to you. It really pushed me a lot. Training in big groups, with the older players, shows you what you need to do to be successful."

PROSPECTS

RyanHartman_2012AAPG_325x183.jpg

Size, versatility make Hartman standout

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

Ryan Hartman emerging as a top American-born draft prospect. READ MORE ›

ALL PROSPECTS STORIES ›

With Etem and his 61 goals last season graduating to professional hockey, an opportunity was there for Valk to showcase himself this season, and he's taken advantage.

"Coming into the season we believed he was going to be that guy, believed he'd be one of our captains, he would be a guy we were going to count on heavily to step up and have a big season," Clouston said. "It's probably been better than we expected. We knew with our situation, losing so many key guys, that Curtis Valk was going to be a player we needed to step up and put up some numbers."

And he's done it playing on a line with Shinkaruk and without him. Shinkaruk is Central Scouting's top-ranked WHL skater (No. 5 overall), and joined with Valk and Elgin Pearce to form a solid line after Pearce was acquired in an early-season trade. More recently, though, Valk shifted back to center, his natural position, while playing with an assortment of forwards. The only constant has been Valk's continued success.

"They [Valk and Shinkaruk] have been together on and off throughout the season, but he [Valk] has been able to continue to have success as a centerman," Clouston said. "He was in the middle for a little while at the beginning of the year with Hunter, he ended up playing the right side on a line with Pearce and Shinkaruk, and when that line went cold for a stretch, he asked if he could play center. He really missed playing center. He liked playing with those guys, but he liked center again, so we've used him on a line that has [Logan] McVeigh on the left side quite often, and [boston] Leer or [Jacob] Doty on the right side. That also shows just how far [Valk's] game has come because he's been able to sort of take over that line. He's been able to center a line with different linemates and he's still been very effective offensively."

He's done enough to start getting his name in the conversation for the 2013 NHL Draft. NHL Central Scouting his him at No. 123 in its midterm rankings, and Clouston said Valk is becoming more popular among NHL scouts.

"Where we didn't get any questions last year, he's on the radar [now]," Clouston said. "He's definitely a player that is getting more and more attention. There are at least questions being asked, there's feelers being put out. People want to know about him, they want to know a little bit more about his background, his character, do I think he's big enough -- all those types of things. Those are questions being asked, which to me is a positive sign, because they weren't being asked before."

Updated Phoenix Coyotes Roster:

Cammelleri - Lecavalier - J. Jokinen

Vrbata - Dubinsky - Purcell

Mcginn - Huberdeau - Clutterbuck

Palat - Talbot - Kaleta

Campbell - Carle

Robidas - Spurgeon

Harrison - Weber

Corrado

Niemi

Clemmensen

Portland Pirates: