The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2013-14

canuck2xtreme

I've prided myself on having a very even team and because of that I don't have superstars - so if that means I don't make the playoffs because one team has a superstar player then yeah I'll be upset.

Case in point - Real life Columbus is making the playoffs over teams with superstars - Toronto (Kessel) and Washington (Ovi).

1. Outright bonus points, no. But how many points did the Capitals gain in the standings because of some of those goals (most likely on the powerplay...)? How many extra points in the standings does a team have thanks to Selke type performances from a certain forward, or how many Norris Trophy caliber plays by a defender resulted in a win for a team where they otherwise may have lost? How many extra points did a team like Columbus last season get due to Sergei Bobrovsky's Vezina caliber season? That is the type of impact that those players have. It reflects throughout the year. Because the structure of our game is as it is, we cannot award those contributions in a tangible way without handing out points for those awards. That is what the awards are designed to reflect.

2. An interesting thought to discuss in the offseason perhaps.

3. I disagree. I think it adds an interesting twist and adds to the intrigue of the end of the season. We've had the awards every year since the game started. It has never once decided a division champion, and only once has it gotten a team into the playoffs and bumped another team out. Also, bias suggests that the outcome is fixed in some way and I strongly disagree with that. My votes for the Calder, Vezina, Hart etc. would be the same regardless of what CDCGML team they played on, and in the past the votes I have received from other GMs reflected the same. The weighted points system offers balance for the few GMs that might vote for a player specifically because of what team it may benefit or work against. That's also why teams cannot vote for their own players, to try and remove any potential bias. We've also removed past awards that are very subjective, like the King Clancy award. In real life it's a great award to have, but in this game it serves no real purpose and it will not be included in the voting.

Ovechkin has been earning goal scorer points all year that have earned his team extra points in the standings. Same goes for awards like the Art Ross.

I can understand awards based on intangibles that can't be awarded statistically throughout the season I guess like the Selke and I guess one might think that the Vezina, Norris, and Hart also deserve bonus points because those players provide more for their teams than stats in the CDCGML account for (though I don't necessarily agree) but I see no justification for awarding extra points to players that earned the most points in a particular statistical category that is already being covered by the format we use on pickuphockey.com (Art Ross and Rocket Richard) nor do I believe that awards such as the Calder Trophy, the Bill Masterson, or the King Clancy should hold weight on a teams placement in the standings.

I'm not looking to be a whiner or anything. I do fully appreciate the work that all the executives put into the greatest game I've ever played. I understand that this is my own opinion and I'll deal with it if I am part of a minority that dislikes the rule and it isn't changed.

There is a good chance Pittsburgh could get bumped out of playoffs due to Mackinnon winning the Calder. Carolina may get in even without the award points but if he does I can't say I'd be impressed with it.

Gustav nyquist or Tyler Johnson might win it.

And I don't plan on needing the extra 50pts to get in!!

There is also a chance we might not get in if Bergeron and Rask win an award,but there's nothing we can do to control it.

There is also a chance we might not get in if Bergeron and Rask win an award,but there's nothing we can do to control it.

Nyquist isnt a rookie.

Edit: wasnt there a season where someone missed the playoffs because steven kampfer won the masterson? :lol:

also, what are the "major" awards?

Nichushkin may get some consideration although I doubt he wins it. Would be surprised if he was even a finalist really.

Sean Monahan deserves a look too. 20 goals as a 19 year old with Calgary? That's like getting 40 goals on an NHL team. :P

FWIW, I don't particularly agree with the awards having an effect on our league standings, but am not really fussed either way. I'd rather abolish the 2pts for a +1, or bring in -2pts for a -1 to balance it out B)

Really? +/- is a good stat to give points for.. One of the last things I'd get rid of.

Really? +/- is a good stat to give points for.. One of the last things I'd get rid of.

I just think it rewards inconsistent play. If you have a player who is a +3 in one game and a -5 in the next game, he gets 6pts for your team. But the player who is a +1 and an even +/- over those two games only records 2pts, when he has clearly been the better player in that category.

Someone like Patrice Bergeron, so brilliantly consistent in the +/- category, could in theory be outscored by someone with a much lower +/-. Someone like Thomas Vanek, who has posted 24 minus games this season but has also posted 20 + games. He's a +6 on the season and has posted 64pts in +/-. Bergeron has recorded 12 minus games and posted 104pts in +/-.

How it is fair that Bergeron's GM has received 104pts from his consistent player, yet Vanek's GM has received 64pts from his wildly inconsistent player? That's a balance I would love to see redressed. Bergeron is currently +32 ahead of Vanek, which on a fairer method would put Bergeron's GM 64pts better off, rather than 40pts better off.

Only my thoughts of course, I just feel like players like Alex Ovechkin can still post some valuable points through +/- when we should really be looking at his performance in that category as damaging to his team, rather than helpful.

Apologies to everyone for using their players as examples - AO has provided the offense to make up for his +/- deficiency, and then some - but of all the scoring points, rules and regulations we have in this league, this is the only one I feel strongly enough to even vaguely mention.

And this is all this is, a vague mention. Don't go thinking I'm cut up about this, it's just a small bug bear of mine ::D

I just think it rewards inconsistent play. If you have a player who is a +3 in one game and a -5 in the next game, he gets 6pts for your team. But the player who is a +1 and an even +/- over those two games only records 2pts, when he has clearly been the better player in that category.

Someone like Patrice Bergeron, so brilliantly consistent in the +/- category, could in theory be outscored by someone with a much lower +/-. Someone like Thomas Vanek, who has posted 24 minus games this season but has also posted 20 + games. He's a +6 on the season and has posted 64pts in +/-. Bergeron has recorded 12 minus games and posted 104pts in +/-.

How it is fair that Bergeron's GM has received 104pts from his consistent player, yet Vanek's GM has received 64pts from his wildly inconsistent player? That's a balance I would love to see redressed. Bergeron is currently +32 ahead of Vanek, which on a fairer method would put Bergeron's GM 64pts better off, rather than 40pts better off.

Only my thoughts of course, I just feel like players like Alex Ovechkin can still post some valuable points through +/- when we should really be looking at his performance in that category as damaging to his team, rather than helpful.

Apologies to everyone for using their players as examples - AO has provided the offense to make up for his +/- deficiency, and then some - but of all the scoring points, rules and regulations we have in this league, this is the only one I feel strongly enough to even vaguely mention.

And this is all this is, a vague mention. Don't go thinking I'm cut up about this, it's just a small bug bear of mine : :D

40 points is a pretty solid gap in the +/- category, IMO. I see where you're coming from but I don't see any problem with it, personally. I'm a fan with of the scoring system as is. Only sweet thing would be finding a way to take out misconducts but other than that I think the system is very fair.

WTH???!!! ...the Blues jumped up 2 Spots last Night :shock:

I told you you could do it before the season finished! I've now lost my chance to catch you but with some luck, we may be able to catch those Avs and send them sinking even deeper in the standings. What I wouldn't give to have had a healthy Henrik Zetterberg these last two months :(

I told you you could do it before the season finished! I've now lost my chance to catch you but with some luck, we may be able to catch those Avs and send them sinking even deeper in the standings. What I wouldn't give to have had a healthy Henrik Zetterberg these last two months :(

its pretty close ....Blues 3931 , Preds 3927 , Avs 3924

you are around 100 Points behind ....nothing is impossibly ...may Pavelec scores a Goal or something :lol:

wondering where i w´d be with a 100% healthy Stephen Weiss

40 points is a pretty solid gap in the +/- category, IMO. I see where you're coming from but I don't see any problem with it, personally. I'm a fan with of the scoring system as is. Only sweet thing would be finding a way to take out misconducts but other than that I think the system is very fair.

Well that was only one example. Using Bergeron vs Ovechkin, Bergeron at +38 gives his GM 76pts; Ovechkin at -35 gives his GM -70pt. A swing of 146pts to Bergeron's GM.

Yet in the current method, Bergeron has 104pts, and Ovechkin has 40pts. So instead of being 146pts to the good, having the +/- expert Bergeron vs the +/- challenged Ovechkin leaves him only 64pts to the good. That's 82pts difference. And I just think that's unfair to GMs who have good +/- players.

Pretty sure we are stuck with the awards for this year, as we don't change rules mid season, generally. I like the idea that was put forward where we award for the things we have already said we would like to give points to: hits, blocks, faceoff%...nothing says we can't adjust the awards criteria in the offseason to give say the top 5 shot blockers extra points or hitters or faceoff guys...that is one that isn't subjective in any way, would tie to the actual nhl.com stats pages and therefore wouldn't be 'biased' in any way shape or form..however having said that I like it as it is, the few years I have been here not one award was "WHAT THE HELL< WHY THAT GUY?"...and so i can't say that I have seen any bias in who gets the awards..if it happens to affect the standings...well there is no crying in baseball.

Lotto race current to this morning, done in points behind number 1...and yes i added the capitals for grins

1small.png 0

2small.png +183

3small.png +213

4small.png +643

5small.png +841

6small.png +844

7small.png +848

8small.png +937

9small.png +962

10small.png +1028

11small.png +1086

12small.png +1220

13small.png +1430

14small.png +1478

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

15small.png +1543

16small.png +1576

Oh and C2X...will we be using the corresponding NHL team that wins the lottery to decide who our winner is?

Like if the 6th to last place NHL team wins..then the 6th to last CDCGML team will win? That worked well last year if you ask me.

Sounds logical.

Archived