The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

UBC Sauder first year questions

Watermelons

Hi

So I have decided to go to Sauder next year at UBC and I just had some questions about course registration.

To clarify, do I only need to take one term of English in year one? I'm still very confused about how many credits of English I'll need to pass year one.

Also what are some suggested electives for Sauder students? Does the career path I choose in year 3 require certain electives?

One more thing...is there anyone here who went to Law School and has any advice on courses I should take?

Thanks in advance

Hey, I'll be starting law school in September, the only advice that I think is very important is to GET GOOD GRADES FROM FIRST YEAR. It will really impact your application...also volunteer tons but considering you're in Sauder, I figure you will do that anyways. Build strong relationships with your profs throughout your entire undergrad as you will need at least 2 academic references for your law school applications. Also, a lot of schools ( from what I noticed in my application cycle) are moving towards a holistic application process...meaning have high grades, high LSAT, volunteer and play a sport if possible (even if it's not varsity). UBC law is still entirely numbers based for admission but I hear they are moving towards the holistic app in the near future as well. Best of luck to you!

Hi

So I have decided to go to Sauder next year at UBC and I just had some questions about course registration.

To clarify, do I only need to take one term of English in year one? I'm still very confused about how many credits of English I'll need to pass year one.

Also what are some suggested electives for Sauder students? Does the career path I choose in year 3 require certain electives?

One more thing...is there anyone here who went to Law School and has any advice on courses I should take?

Thanks in advance

Congrats on your acceptance, I'll see you around next year! You only need to take one english class for your the year - people usually register for English 112 (Strategies for English Writing) but you can also do English 120/121.

The non-commerce electives you take in Year 1 don't effect what you want to option in, but I'm thinking right now that if you plan to minor in something, they may require pre-requisites.

We are in the same boat man, worklists are waaaaay too confusing. Are you in the Sauder Class of 17 facebook group by anychance?

Hi

Thanks in advance

Congrats on your acceptance, I'll see you around next year! You only need to take one english class for your the year - people usually register for English 112 (Strategies for English Writing) but you can also do English 120/121.

The non-commerce electives you take in Year 1 don't effect what you want to option in, but I'm thinking right now that if you plan to minor in something, they may require pre-requisites.

We are in the same boat man, worklists are waaaaay too confusing. Are you in the Sauder Class of 17 facebook group by anychance?

Hey, I'll be starting law school in September, the only advice that I think is very important is to GET GOOD GRADES FROM FIRST YEAR. It will really impact your application...also volunteer tons but considering you're in Sauder, I figure you will do that anyways. Build strong relationships with your profs throughout your entire undergrad as you will need at least 2 academic references for your law school applications. Also, a lot of schools ( from what I noticed in my application cycle) are moving towards a holistic application process...meaning have high grades, high LSAT, volunteer and play a sport if possible (even if it's not varsity). UBC law is still entirely numbers based for admission but I hear they are moving towards the holistic app in the near future as well. Best of luck to you!

Hi

Thanks in advance

Math and Physics are definitely overkill in the logic department for the LSAT. I found through my preparing of. the LSAT that the tests were trending towards being more difficult on the reading comprehension and easier on the logic games.

I'm of the opinion that those stats on how well different majors do on the LSAT say more about the type of people interested in those things than how well it actually prepares them. Math/physics tend to attract generally higher IQ people.

http://en.wikipedia...._Admission_Test

Note where physics/math comes in compared to pre-law and criminal justice :)

IMO, go to school to challenge yourself. If you go through school worrying about not messing up your GPA, you'll graduate with film studies electives that won't help you at all in the workforce. I took a lot of heavy math / physics and it's quite valuable in the workforce. My only regret is that I didn't take more computer science.

Archived